PDA

View Full Version : Hunger In D&D

Volcan
2013-08-28, 07:49 AM
so im dm-ing for a group of people and they are going through a desert how would i do a hunger mechanic?:confused:

Hytheter
2013-08-28, 07:53 AM
so im dm-ing for a group of people and they are going through a desert how would i do a hunger mechanic?:confused:

Pretty sure there are rules for not eating. Something like 2 days without a decent meal makes you fatigued?
There's more to it, obviously, but I can't remember it all.

DeltaEmil
2013-08-28, 07:55 AM
For the rules, this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#starvationAndThirst)might help.

The supplemental sourcebook Sandstorm might also give you optional details how to deal with starvation in a desert.

Studoku
2013-08-28, 07:56 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#starvationAndThirst

These are the basic starvation and dehydration rules found in the DMG and SRD. They do need a bit of common sense when it comes to following them- otherwise they're open to abuse- but they're a good place to start.

Yora
2013-08-28, 08:21 AM
And the hunger rules are actually not as bad as they look. People can go for weeks without food before they die, but will be in pretty bad shape pretty soon. Which is represented by the permanent fatigue.

Hamste
2013-08-28, 08:34 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#starvationAndThirst

These are the basic starvation and dehydration rules found in the DMG and SRD. They do need a bit of common sense when it comes to following them- otherwise they're open to abuse- but they're a good place to start.

I find it kind of funny that if you starve for a while you will go into a permanent coma (until fed) but won't ever die from it

Yora
2013-08-28, 08:49 AM
Interesting. Unlike the Pathfinder SRD, the 3.5e SRD does not say that any nonlethal damage that exceeds the current hit points total does become lethal damage instead.

Hytheter
2013-08-28, 08:51 AM
I find it kind of funny that if you starve for a while you will go into a permanent coma (until fed) but won't ever die from it

Haha that is pretty funny.

I guess though you can rule that as long as a companion still stands to drag your unconcious body along you can survive. But if you get left behind, or if everyone else collapses, you (and they, in the latter case) can be presumed dead.

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-28, 08:52 AM
Interesting. Unlike the Pathfinder SRD, the 3.5e SRD does not say that any nonlethal damage that exceeds the current hit points total does become lethal damage instead.
That was a change from 3.5 to pathfinder. It is a common house rule in my experiance.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-08-28, 08:52 AM

I almost responded with the rule in my head for double dipping nonlethal becoming lethal, but a quick search revealed that it's a common house rule. I think maybe it was in a early mongoose book back in 3.0 when a lot of groups preferred their splatbooks to the thin class books.

I guess a rats or something comes along and eat you. Based on survivor man and such this shouldn't take long; they're pretty much omnipresent an each will probably bite you a dozen times before getting full. Actually some rats will ignore your flesh and burrow for organs so the first rat might kill you going for it's first meal.

SiuiS
2013-08-28, 08:59 AM

Pretty sure you can still die from privation. I think if nonlethal does not normally wrap around, then it does specifically for privation and such.

Greenish
2013-08-28, 09:31 AM
Pretty sure you can still die from privation. I think if nonlethal does not normally wrap around, then it does specifically for privation and such.Sandstorm (pg. 15) specifies that characters who fall unconscious from dehydration start taking lethal damage. It doesn't say anything about starvation, probably because the designers figured that the other environmental hazards in the book are likely to kill you before that'd become relevant. :smallwink:

Volcan
2013-08-28, 02:42 PM
thx guys:smallbiggrin:

Lord Haart
2013-08-28, 04:05 PM
Well, if you're lying unconscious from starvation for weeks, you're likely to get dehydrated in the process and die anyway. Unless your head lies in a bucket full of water.

DeltaEmil
2013-08-28, 04:12 PM
That would probably lead to death by drowning.

Or neverending healing and falling unconscious, if one interprets the rules for drowning and suffocating like that.

Greenish
2013-08-28, 05:52 PM

Or neverending healing and falling unconscious, if one interprets the rules for drowning and suffocating like that.Drowning is auto-kill anyway, regardless of HP.

SiuiS
2013-08-29, 05:10 AM

Or neverending healing and falling unconscious, if one interprets the rules for drowning and suffocating like that.

The player's handbook allows you to begin drowning, saying it reduces your HP to 0, then -1, then -9, then dead, which kills using buckets of water to survive massive chained damage with delay death. The players handbook also does not provide rules to stop drowning, ever; you Elgin to drown. You die. Period.

Other books fix this (the rules compendium specifically sets your HP to 0, now, and Stormwrack lets you do CPR) but Ifigure pointing out that the book prevents returning is sufficient to knock out that kind of literal cheese.

Greenish
2013-08-29, 06:18 AM
The player's handbook allows you to begin drowning, saying it reduces your HP to 0, then -1, then -9, then dead, which kills using buckets of water to survive massive chained damage with delay death. The players handbook also does not provide rules to stop drowning, ever; you Elgin to drown. You die. Period.

Other books fix this (the rules compendium specifically sets your HP to 0, now, and Stormwrack lets you do CPR) but Ifigure pointing out that the book prevents returning is sufficient to knock out that kind of literal cheese.First, it's not literal cheese. :smallwink:

Second, it opens up another kind of cheese. A bucket of water may be a more reliable assassination method than dagger to the heart, against some creatures.

TuggyNE
2013-08-29, 06:17 PM
First, it's not literal cheese. :smallwink:

But it is literalistic cheese, which I suspect is what was meant.

Duke of Urrel
2013-08-29, 08:02 PM

The SRD may not say this, but the Rules Compendium says: "A creature that falls unconscious from nonlethal damage due to starvation or thirst begins to take the same amount of lethal damage instead." That's on page 140.