PDA

View Full Version : Battle Chicken

Ruethgar
2013-08-28, 12:26 PM
I want to make a battle chicken character. Race is a refluff of the hengeyokai crane, -4 strength +2 dex and tiny instead of small. First level has to be commoner for chicken infested but what should he go for after that to become a beast of a chicken, ripping through hordes of monsters? I would prefer melee, but comical casters would also be welcome(dragonfire adept popped into mind). Assume 32 point buy all official sources available as well as AEG and Mongoose on review. Anyone have some good ideas?

Slipperychicken
2013-08-28, 01:39 PM
I want to make a battle chicken character. Race is a refluff of the hengeyokai crane, -4 strength +2 dex and tiny instead of small. First level has to be commoner for chicken infested but what should he go for after that to become a beast of a chicken, ripping through hordes of monsters? I would prefer melee, but comical casters would also be welcome(dragonfire adept popped into mind). Assume 32 point buy all official sources available as well as AEG and Mongoose on review. Anyone have some good ideas?

You could go into Druid.

Nettlekid
2013-08-28, 02:14 PM
Can't really go wrong with ToB. Any initiator has maneuvers which can be used for high damage, versatility, and basically to just look clucking awesome. If you have hordes of chickens thanks to Chicken Infested, you could use many White Raven (sorry, White Chicken) maneuvers to have all your chicken allies attack together. And there's Bloodstorm Blade, which you can use to throw chickens at enemies.

Infundibular
2013-08-28, 09:27 PM
You can use the Chicken Flood to get ridiculous bonuses from "White Chicken" maneuvers. (Get spell component pouch, remove random component as a free action, 50% chance of chicken, repeat). Infinite chickens are not only infinite meat shields, but flank everything.

Rubik
2013-08-28, 10:01 PM
Well, I'd suggest the jade phoenix chicken mage from ToB, but given your fondness for hen grenades, how about cleric cluckric/warblade/ruby rooster knight vindicator? Use Fell Animate, Fell Drain, and the various Corpsecrafter feats on your Greater Consumptive Field to make exploding zombie chickens AND to improve your melee prowess! Use your free time to Fell Drain a bunch of chickens to create wights, and during battle Fell Animate some zombies. Show those fiends who devour your kinsmen the wrath of the other wight meat!

Saintheart
2013-08-28, 10:46 PM
He needs at least one Desert Wind maneuver in there somewhere to be able to shout "KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN!" once in a while.

If you're going White Raven, do not fail to pick up White Raven Chicken Tactics.

Maybe try a more melee-y build. Take a level in BarbBuckbarian and make sure it's a Chicken Spirit Totem for Pounce. Then try some Tiger Chicken Claw maneuvers, making sure to pick up Blood Birdseed in the Water Yard. You can still go into Ruby Rooster Vindicator that way.

John Longarrow
2013-08-28, 11:50 PM
This is too easy....

Warlock.

You get to shoot energy blasts from your beak. Nuff said?

Metahuman1
2013-08-29, 12:35 AM
Totomest is tempting, turn your chicken into a whirling blender of always attacking death. And then there's Psionics, break them with your incalculable reality altering chicken mind.

Nettlekid
2013-08-29, 01:34 AM
You could also make a fear-based Dread Witch something-or-other, for no reason other than the great pleasure of terrifying your enemies and as they run off, call out "What are you, ME?"

Slipperychicken
2013-08-29, 02:49 AM
This is too easy....

Warlock.

Spellcaster with Fiery Burst reserve feat to represent shooting explosive eggs at people?

Chilingsworth
2013-08-29, 02:54 AM
If you're tiny, you'll need a reach weapon (or some other way to improve your reach) to threaten in melee.

Also, I'd suggest a level of rogue and the craven feat.

Saintheart
2013-08-29, 03:56 AM
This is too easy....

Warclucklock.

Fixed that for you.

Azoth
2013-08-29, 05:13 AM
You wear a disguise to look like human guys...But you're not a man...You're a chicken Boo!

*now returns you to your normally scheduled thread*

Ruethgar
2013-08-29, 06:00 AM
Mmmm BoVD swarm rules *drool*. How powerful of a chicken swarm sorcerer should I have, lol? I'm liking the look of the White Chicken line even without swarm and just three war-bred chickens. Apart from that one PrC, is there a way to apply Magebred to an animal or its offspring?

Zombulian
2013-08-29, 08:25 AM
I second the idea for Warcluck and Dragonfire Adept. You gotta name yourself Pojo (http://gauntlet.wikia.com/wiki/Pojo).

Person_Man
2013-08-29, 09:25 AM
There's a feat called Confound the Bigfolk from Races of the Wild. It has some very specific mechanics you have to follow, but basically if you're two sizes smaller then your enemy then you can move into his square, the next round he’s Flat Footed against you, and when other enemies attack you they have a 50% chance of hitting the enemy in your square instead of you.

From there, you can either go with a Knight, whose Test of Mettle ability forces enemies to attack you. (And thus hit their ally 50% of the time). Or you can go with Factotum or Oriental Adventures Samurai to get the Iaijutsu Focus Skill (Oriental Adventures) with a Gnomish Quickrazor (Races of Stone). Iaijutsu Focus lets you deal extra damage against Flat Footed enemies (must be Flat Footed, not just denied their Dexterity) when you first draw a weapon, and Gnomish Quickrazor can be drawn and sheathed as a free action.

You can't do the two options together be RAW very well, since the Knight's code makes you lose one of your limited Test of Mettle/Challenge uses when you hit a Flat Footed enemy. (Unless your DM hand waives it away).

Chronos
2013-08-29, 09:37 AM
If you're using Oriental Adventures anyway, make sure to get some Eggshell Grenades, too.

And out of curiosity, what are the other players going to be playing?

Ruethgar
2013-08-29, 09:58 AM
Not sure what all the other players are going with atm, I know one wants to play a half-dragon badger barbarian with stoneblessed(goliath) to become a giant, angry badger.

Is there an easy way to get the outsider type? The consumption field got me thinking of Chain Shield Other + Profane Lifeleech + Assume Supernatual Ability(Javoc Aura of Retribution).

Chronos
2013-08-29, 10:47 AM
Not sure what all the other players are going with atm, I know one wants to play a half-dragon badger barbarian with stoneblessed(goliath) to become a giant, angry badger.
OK, if everyone's going with silly characters, that's fine. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't going to be playing the lone silly character in a serious party, which never ends up being much fun for anyone.

Telonius
2013-08-29, 11:00 AM
Cockatrice. Bubs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38) might be able to Rear and Train it for you...?

Zombulian
2013-08-29, 11:10 AM
Well there's the Otherwordly feat, which could be argued to work fine on a very spiritual hengeokai.

Ruethgar
2013-08-29, 11:33 AM
An otherworldly chicken spawning and consuming infinite chickens to explode out with an aura damage that cannot be stopped by anything but mettle. What's that? You're a god-wizard immune to damage? Too bad, you get hit anyway.

What would be a bit more reasonable limitation on the number of chickens spawned per round? If I go with white raven and don't just use the chickens as fodder for fueling myself or unstoppable damage, is there a good way to tame them quickly, if only temporarily, since they don't come out trained to attack?

John Longarrow
2013-08-29, 11:35 AM
Badger? BADGER?!? You don't need no stinkin BADGER!

:smallsmile:

Saintheart,
Not only a warcluck, but need to find something else to toss in for extra crispy goodness! Maybe a little necromancy? Gotta raise the roast chicken so it can go forth and kill Bards... =))

Telonius
2013-08-29, 11:51 AM
Whatever you end up with, its deity should be Fharlanghn. A blessing on all your roads, no matter why you cross them.

Rubik
2013-08-29, 01:38 PM
What would be a bit more reasonable limitation on the number of chickens spawned per round?Given that you can cast upwards of 4 spells per round under normal circumstances (one Quickened, one Standard, one Move, and one Swift), I'd say the number should be 4, maximum, until or unless you find ways to boost your action economy. The reason for this is that you would be reaching into your spell component pouch 4 times per round, so that's what you get.

If I go with white raven and don't just use the chickens as fodder for fueling myself or unstoppable damage, is there a good way to tame them quickly, if only temporarily, since they don't come out trained to attack?If you have the Fell Animate feat, you automatically gain control of the resulting zombies. If you use Fell Drain, Control Undead could work, as could Turn Undead.

elliott20
2013-08-29, 01:57 PM
this thread is making it really hard for me to maintain my composure at work. I'm trying so hard right now to not have this giant stupid grin on my face.

NEO|Phyte
2013-08-29, 02:03 PM
If you're tiny, you'll need a reach weapon (or some other way to improve your reach) to threaten in melee.

Also, I'd suggest a level of rogue and the craven feat.

Reach weapon won't work, as it turns out, doubling a reach of 0 still gets you 0 reach.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-29, 02:04 PM
His hometown is a utopian city-state populated by birds and built on the clouds, called Cloudcuckooland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birds_(play)).

Following canon, they fuel their utopia by sapping divine energy from the gods, and their two founding heroes are Trustyfriend (Pisthetaerus) and Goodhope (Euelipides).

Rubik
2013-08-29, 02:07 PM
Reach weapon won't work, as it turns out, doubling a reach of 0 still gets you 0 reach.The Long Reach feat combined with any aptitude weapon will grant you a reach up to 15'.

[edit] You could always take the lycanthrope template and go for a were-swarm-of-chickens.

Zubrowka74
2013-08-29, 02:17 PM
Start with an anthropomorphic giant chicken, slap some unarmed Swordsage level on it and there you have content fit for a Family Guy episode.

Chronos
2013-08-29, 08:23 PM
Quoth Rubik:

Given that you can cast upwards of 4 spells per round under normal circumstances (one Quickened, one Standard, one Move, and one Swift)...
Quickened is swift, and I've never heard of any spell you can cast with a move action. Also remember, if you have a finite number of draws, that you're only 50% likely to get a chicken on each one.

Immabozo
2013-08-30, 01:02 AM
I've never heard of any spell you can cast with a move action.

There aren't many, but I've seen a few. The ones I saw were on the druid spell list, IIRC

CyberThread
2013-08-30, 01:43 AM
You can use the Chicken Flood to get ridiculous bonuses from "White Chicken" maneuvers. (Get spell component pouch, remove random component as a free action, 50% chance of chicken, repeat). Infinite chickens are not only infinite meat shields, but flank everything.

how would a chicken threaten something, or flank it. They have no reach, therefore no threaten squares.