PDA

View Full Version : The Dark [Shadow Cloak] Knight

Deox
2013-08-28, 02:30 PM
"He cannot win. They need their true hero."

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villian... I can do those things, because I'm not a hero. I am...

THE WOMBAT"

Had an idea for a character that I'd love some assistance on creating. Ideally, this character would be a spoof of our caped crusader - except fun (and gestalt) sized.

The Shadow Cloak Knight racial substitution level for a gnome Paladin 6 grants Hide in Plain Sight. I wanted to couple this with Binder for Malphas (granting a raven, possibly Ipos and Chupoclops), Divine Crusader and eventually Knight of the Raven. Perhaps Swordsage as well. The "ravens" were going to be fluffed as assorted woodland creatures with no mechanical change whatsoever.

Some of my road blocks are which paladin, deity, and domain to choose. If none can really 'fit', then the idea of Divine Crusader may be thrown out entirely for something else.

Race, I was considering a Whisper Gnome - adding possibly Mineral Warrior, Magic Blooded and Half-Minotaur. Granted the adjusted stats would not be too much in my favor, I think fluff would be pretty fun. I'm not married to the idea however.

Any suggestions as how to begin tackling...The Wombat?

Greenish
2013-08-28, 06:17 PM
Race, I was considering a Whisper Gnome - adding possibly Mineral Warrior, Magic Blooded and Half-Minotaur. Granted the adjusted stats would not be too much in my favor, I think fluff would be pretty fun. I'm not married to the idea however.

Any suggestions as how to begin tackling...The Wombat?Feral. Feral Whisper Gnome.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UvNmjhRKkZ4/Snh3hlPZSVI/AAAAAAAAAWI/dI_sAkkDiDc/s400/Ulvur.jpg

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-08-28, 06:39 PM
a shadar kai gives you hide in plain sight as racial trait.

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-28, 06:43 PM
For ages, I've wanted to build a whisper gnome Shadow Cloak Knight who hides in his mount's shadow. Enemies will just see the mount bearing down on them, and if they attack the mount, the hit is negated via the Ride skill.

Deox
2013-08-29, 09:18 AM
Huh, I never actually thought of that Piggy - fantastic idea.

I really like the feral idea. Also, where can the shadar kai be located?

I'm tempted to re-work the build to "disguise" the mount as some sort of vehicle (wombat-mobile).

Any idea how to incorporate that into the current theme?

dysprosium
2013-08-29, 10:04 AM
Shadar-kai are fey with a connection to the Plane of Shadow. They were originally printed in the Fiend Folio.

They got a nice write up in an Ecology article from Dragon Magazine but the issue number eludes me at the moment.

Deox
2013-08-30, 09:26 AM
Shadar-Kai are really sweet, though having a total adjustment of +4 is kind of terrible. With this character being around 15th starting, I would be able to buy off any LA lower than 3 (also, multiple +1s).

I'm digging on the Feral Whisper gnome. The real trick is working in Paladin 6 with Divine Crusader and Knight of the Raven, not to mention what exactly to do with the gestalt side of things.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-30, 10:18 AM
Would your DM be amenable to letting you apply the Pal 6 racial sub to Prestige Paladin 2? That might be a better entryway. I haven't run numbers or anything, but that seems like it'd be cooler in the long run and would nab you some domain powers.

Animal would let you talk to your woodland creature minions. Celerity would let you move faster. City puts a bunch of spells on your list and gives you Gather Info and Know (Local) as class skills, which would be useful for a vigilante type. Courage is thematically appropriate but pretty terrible. Fate gives you uncanny dodge. Passion gives you basically barbarian rage 1/d, plus some interesting spells. Purification gives you some pretty good spells. Shadow is thematically appropriate, but may not be worthwhile. Trickery would put Bluff, Hide, and Move Silently on your class list and give you a bunch of terrific spells for this concept (disguise self, invisibility, nondetection are in the first three levels alone).

If you go this route, my recommended domains are City (because the spells are just perfect) and Trickery.

zilonox
2013-08-30, 12:05 PM
I'm tempted to re-work the build to "disguise" the mount as some sort of vehicle (wombat-mobile).

Any idea how to incorporate that into the current theme?

Here's an old thread on contructs as mounts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179305), perhaps you can find something useful in there?

Deox
2013-08-31, 12:46 AM
Would your DM be amenable to letting you apply the Pal 6 racial sub to Prestige Paladin 2? That might be a better entryway. I haven't run numbers or anything, but that seems like it'd be cooler in the long run and would nab you some domain powers.

If you go this route, my recommended domains are City (because the spells are just perfect) and Trickery.

DM will not let PrC Paladin qualify for Paladin sub. Stated I could nab the Envy domain, but probably wouldn't fit thematically even though I could nab all the spells/tricks I needed with (Limited) Wish.

I'll probably stick with Trickery, Fate or Illusion.

Here's an old thread on contructs as mounts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179305), perhaps you can find something useful in there?

Ok now here's the problem - I want the Wombat-Mobile to be a Brass Steed and the Wombat-copter/plane be the Warforged Raptor...