PDA

View Full Version : Mo advice needed

Bhu
2013-08-28, 04:51 PM
I'm unsure if this is ok to discuss here so if it isn't please PM me.

At long last the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation may have found me a job. However it is a sales job. I suck at sales. This is complicated by the product being awkward (I can't mention it here) and my appearance, which will not put the likely sales target at ease. And my possible future employers don't look like they're big on training. They look more like "throw em' in the pool and see if they sink or swim' type.

So if anyone has advice on how to upsell a product that women and married couples would not normally discuss buying from a 250 pound bearded man with a barrel chest please do contact me.

AKA_Bait
2013-08-29, 02:26 PM
Is this item, ahem, something that could be employed by those with alternative lifestyles as well? That might be a route worth considering.

Zherog
2013-08-29, 03:05 PM
Shave the beard and keep yourself looking neat while on a sales call.

Bhu
2013-08-29, 05:41 PM
I have eczema problems. My choices are grow the beard to hide it or shave and explain the blood and pus from the infections that result.

Is not sales calls is a brick and mortar 'boutique' (well they call it that anyway...

Is this item, ahem, something that could be employed by those with alternative lifestyles as well? That might be a route worth considering.

It's a plethora of items, an the answer is yes.

Ursus the Grim
2013-08-29, 06:25 PM
Well, a well-groomed beard is fine in most settings, and this isn't a conventional business. Just be mindful of any particularly bad habits you might have. For instance, I was prone to scratching my chin and twirling my sideburns when they got too long. Make sure you don't do something similar, which may be difficult depending on how bad your eczema normally is.

Definitely get a feel for the customer. Perhaps that was a poor choice of words, but I'm sure you understand what I mean. Some people are perfectly fine speaking frankly about such matters. Some, like me, don't feel there's anything obscene about it, but still prefer to use euphemisms (often childish) and skirt the subject. I'd have no problem talking to a lumberjack about these things. A stranger is a stranger and your appearance probably won't factor in as much as you fear.

Now, should said lumberjack make prolonged eye contact with my wife, I might get a little ruffled. But that's mostly just me.

Starwulf
2013-08-29, 07:32 PM
Lol...I feel badly for you Bhu. I think if I were able to work, and I was asked to work at a..."Intimacy Boutique", I'd have to decline. I don't even talk to my friends about intimate stuff, I'm hardly going to want to do so with complete strangers.

Zherog
2013-08-29, 08:27 PM
I have eczema problems. My choices are grow the beard to hide it or shave and explain the blood and pus from the infections that result.

In this case, you'll need to keep your beard neatly trimmed.

Will you just be a cashier, or does the job involve more than that?

The Extinguisher
2013-08-29, 08:45 PM
Know what you are selling! This is the most important thing to consider. If you're product knowledge is good enough, you could be made out of rats and you will get sales. Now you do want to to look nice and presentable, yes, but product knowledge is better.

Also just be confident in what you are selling. This will come from knowing the product, coupled with a healthy dose of "faking it". I'm a really awkward person normally, but I can fake normal levels of social interaction on the sales floor.

What are you selling? I've been sales floor leaders before, so I can give you some advice on selling tips, but it's different for different products, so I'd need to know. Just PM me if you don't really want to post it.

Zherog
2013-08-29, 09:34 PM
What are you selling?

If I'm reading the vibes right (and I admit that's questionable), it sounds like he'll be selling adult "toys."

Bhu
2013-08-29, 10:43 PM
In this case, you'll need to keep your beard neatly trimmed.

Will you just be a cashier, or does the job involve more than that?

I'm required to approach anyone who enters to upsell them on the more expensive version of whatever they want. We get a flat rate, plus commission is divided equally among employees.

If I'm reading the vibes right (and I admit that's questionable), it sounds like he'll be selling adult "toys."

Among other things :smalleek: It would prolly be best not to discuss that any further, and concentrate more on how one upsells a product that makes people embarrassed to ask for.

Assuming I pass an apparent second interview with a regional manager. I have to wonder what the point of a store manager is if they don't have the power to hire and fire...

golentan
2013-08-29, 11:54 PM
Having bought my fair share of things in this vein, I can tell you that just being polite and good humored (though not as if you're laughing at the customer) will help more than anything you can do about your appearance.

It's often embarrassing to talk about. Just don't be sleazy or tease the customers.

Brother Oni
2013-08-30, 06:16 AM
Among other things :smalleek: It would prolly be best not to discuss that any further, and concentrate more on how one upsells a product that makes people embarrassed to ask for.

Given it's a bricks and mortar site, the people you'll meet have already gathered up the courage to walk in.

Best thing to do is to look neat and well groomed (tidy up that beard) and act professionally and polite. Seconding the product knowledge as most walk-ins are probably going to ask "which is the best/cheapest one?" a lot of the time.

Chen
2013-08-30, 08:26 AM
I'm required to approach anyone who enters to upsell them on the more expensive version of whatever they want. We get a flat rate, plus commission is divided equally among employees.

This seems like a terrible business decision in the type of store you're talking about. Sure for the people who are comfortable in there it'll work, but for those that are more shy or reticent about coming in, this seems like a good way to make them leave.

AKA_Bait
2013-08-30, 10:13 AM
I guess the best I can say then is to try to appear relaxed and comfortable, as though you were selling them shoes or working at Best Buy rather than selling . . . ahem. I think even with the reticent folks if you approach them in what would be a totally normal, low pressure sales associate manner it might put them more at ease by its familiarity.

The Extinguisher
2013-08-30, 10:24 AM
On the topic of upselling:

Upselling isn't walking up to someone and being all "I see you're looking at this one, can I interest you in the most expensive one instead?"
Remember, you are there for the customer, to help them find the very best one for them. Anfd they may think they want a really cheap one, but maybre that won't do the job.

They key to upselling is starting from the top. When you recommend a product to someone, start at the best one, and work your way down to the product that is right for the customer.

For what you're selling, the key is to not be embarassed yourself, and respect the emabarassment of a customer. Most probably won't be, but don't push yourself on one who is.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot the most important thing. Dont open with a sales pitch. Be friendly, small talk, and exchange names. You want to build a personal realtionship with the customer, especially in a case like this, where that slight hint of familiarity will ease over the skwardness.

Karoht
2013-08-30, 10:55 AM
As someone who works with several people who throw "adult parties" where they sell those sorts of things, I can tell you that the biggest thing people are probably going to do is ask questions about a product, maybe want to see it demo'd (not on a person obviously), and ask about your experience with it.

The best thing you can do if you don't have experience with it is be honest about it. If you don't have experience with a particular item, try not to say so in an abrupt or gruff manner, but be completely casual about it instead.

Do NOT:
-Be condescending.
-Be immature.
-Be embarrassed. This is important, as every one of those products only sell if people think that buying them is normal behavior (or within a small margin of standard deviation, if you pardon the statistics pun). If they think it is abnormal, they won't buy squat.
-Describe things too graphically, or use too many euphemisms. Too graphic will put them off, euphemisms tend to come across condescendingly.
-Do not wince when describing certain types of play.
-Condescend. Ever.

DO:
-Be casual.
-Be mature.
-Most professionals use the word "play" as the euphemism of choice.
-Be knowledgeable. By which I mean, know how to put the batteries in, turn it on, show off all the modes.
-Even if you've never used a product for it's intended use, know how to describe it's proper use.
-Treat anything you dislike saying out loud as you might a safety warning.
-Keep in mind that chances are most people who walk into the store will probably be more nervous than you.

Fun Fact about purchasing such products.
Hold it up to your nose. If it's too intense on your nose, it's too intense for other places. If it causes you to sneeze, it is either too much or just right. If you are willing to take a product out of the package, put the batteries in,and hold it to your nose, I guarantee you will put anyone at ease.

@The Beard
Most adult stores I've ever been to staff women, but the few that have men on the staff have usually been big burly biker-looking guys. If they can handle it and be accepted, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Best of luck Bhu!

Bhu
2013-08-30, 05:17 PM
As someone who works with several people who throw "adult parties" where they sell those sorts of things, I can tell you that the biggest thing people are probably going to do is ask questions about a product, maybe want to see it demo'd (not on a person obviously), and ask about your experience with it.

We're not allowed to discuss personal experience/preferences. Under Ohio law that's a 5th degree felony (4th if you have priors). I'm allowed to present things from the standpoint of "we get the best positive feedback from other customers on this model", but I can go to prison if I state personal experience with anything, whether it's true or not.

Much thanks for the feedback guys! I don't feel quite as nervous about this now if I get the job. And some of what you said gives me ideas for making my way through the second interview. *hugs*

I should prolly ask the mods to go ahead and close this before it tempts anyone to say something that could be troublesome. You guys have been a great help!

valadil
2013-08-30, 08:12 PM
At long last the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation may have found me a job. However it is a sales job. I suck at sales.

So if anyone has advice on how to upsell a product that women and married couples would not normally discuss buying from a 250 pound bearded man with a barrel chest please do contact me.

You'll get better with practice. I used to think I was too awkward to make phone calls. Then I worked at a computer help desk and got over it.

I'm merely a 230 pound bearded man, but I was once around 340. This is only an issue if you make it one. You don't have to be a fat guy just because you're in a fat guy's body. Be a salesman instead. This is a roleplaying game forum after all. Roleplay a shopkeeper who isn't concerned about the body image he projects :-P

GolemsVoice
2013-08-31, 06:39 PM
My advice: treat it professionally. You're selling adult toys, not cocaine and weapons-grade uranium, there's nothing shady about it unless you make it that way.

Know what you're selling, and be respectful. If you can, advise, if you can't, just see if they ask for help. Basically, treat it like any other sales job. Just keep in mind that just like with, say, a mobile phone, a video game or a kitchen appliance, your customers want the product that suits their needs, even if these needs are rather intimate, and they may be turning to you for help. If you stay professional, nothing bad will happen.

And regarding the beard, well, if the company doesn't tell you otherwise, just make sure you're well groomed overall. That holds true for ANY sales-job.

The Extinguisher
2013-08-31, 08:39 PM
We're not allowed to discuss personal experience/preferences. Under Ohio law that's a 5th degree felony (4th if you have priors). I'm allowed to present things from the standpoint of "we get the best positive feedback from other customers on this model", but I can go to prison if I state personal experience with anything, whether it's true or not.

Much thanks for the feedback guys! I don't feel quite as nervous about this now if I get the job. And some of what you said gives me ideas for making my way through the second interview. *hugs*

I should prolly ask the mods to go ahead and close this before it tempts anyone to say something that could be troublesome. You guys have been a great help!

Really? Why though?
Like seriously, what about personal experience with adult toys is so bad it needs to be a crime?

Jaycemonde
2013-08-31, 11:28 PM
Really? Why though?
Like seriously, what about personal experience with adult toys is so bad it needs to be a crime?

It's Ohio. You might as well ask what's wrong with it in Utah or Kansas.

Bhu
2013-09-01, 11:54 AM
Really? Why though?

I'm not entirely sure the forum rules would allow for me to discuss that.

Starwulf
2013-09-01, 04:49 PM
I'm not entirely sure the forum rules would allow for me to discuss that.

I think you're allowed to clearly state laws, you just can't discuss your opinion on them, or give advice on how to stay within the law, or how to skirt it or anything.

I have to admit, I too am curious as to why you wouldn't be allowed to give any sort of personal experience regarding a product in Ohio if you're a salesperson, so a direct quotation of the law would be nice.

Bhu
2013-09-01, 09:44 PM
I think you're allowed to clearly state laws, you just can't discuss your opinion on them, or give advice on how to stay within the law, or how to skirt it or anything.

I have to admit, I too am curious as to why you wouldn't be allowed to give any sort of personal experience regarding a product in Ohio if you're a salesperson, so a direct quotation of the law would be nice.

google 'pandering obscenity' if you wish to see the law. Discussing it here though would lead into politics which definitely isn't allowed so we'll have to leave it at that unless you wish to PM me or discuss it elsewher.

Karoht
2013-09-03, 11:28 AM
google 'pandering obscenity' if you wish to see the law. Discussing it here though would lead into politics which definitely isn't allowed so we'll have to leave it at that unless you wish to PM me or discuss it elsewher.I had a read of that. Interesting to know. I'll be wary to watch what I say when I have a stop-over in Ohio on my way to mexico next month.

However, as it relates to your job I think you are being a bit paranoid, but to avoid any kind of altercation I would specifically ask about it with your employer. At worst it helps you avoid an awkward conversation with a customer, at best it helps you avoid a felony charge.

Bhu
2013-09-03, 05:06 PM
The potential employer brought it up during the interview. Apparently it's standard info for anyone new to the business. As in "Do NOT under any circumstances do any of the following..."

Karoht
2013-09-04, 10:56 AM
The potential employer brought it up during the interview. Apparently it's standard info for anyone new to the business. As in "Do NOT under any circumstances do any of the following..."
Excellent. Aside from the rules, what sort of coaching did they give should those sort of questions come up?

I imagine it is a lot of "we get good feedback from..." in place of "I am personally a fan of..." sort of stuff?

Bhu
2013-09-04, 02:28 PM
Pretty much yeah. That and there were a bunch of rules I have to remmeber for tobacco pipes and moms who want to try to bring their infant into the store.