PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Mid "Day" A "Best Way" Question

joca4christ
2013-08-28, 09:01 PM
My party of 2nd level adventurers have enough XP to hit level 3. My dilemma is that they are still going strong on the same day. Actually, the last three sessions have all taken place within a span of an hour and a half in the game world.

Should I wait until the rest to allow them the level up? Should I use the "ding, your stronger suddenly" approach? Also, their resources are very depleted (they are on a time crunch and not willing to lose the surprise advantage) so could their level up replenish them? How would you play it?

Thanks!

Soupz
2013-08-28, 09:20 PM
I'd try to halt the action in some way. Spellcasters won't gain new spells until they rest and prepare them. It sounds like they're a bit strained. Something like giving them a potentially useful NPC that's wounded and needs to be taken to town or helped in some way that would give them time to rest without forcing them to rest. Things like ability damage or poison that would be beyond their ability to repair. If they decide to keep going anyway keep in mind that D&D doesn't have players regain all their lost hit points and spells upon leveling.

If there's something in the environment that could potentially slow down both them and their adversary that might solve the problem too.

joca4christ
2013-08-28, 09:32 PM
They've already got two freed slaves dragging behind, with the potential to rescue more very soon.

It was pretty funny, actually. They were actively looking for a resting spot when they took out an automaton. Embolden by their success, they decided to press on. It's been a lot of fun!

fishyfishyfishy
2013-08-28, 10:16 PM
I usually do one of two things. I either use the rule that level up only occurs after a full 8 hour rest OR that is only occurs after 1 week of downtime per current level. Using the second one, level 5 going to 6 needs 5 weeks. A Wizard would spend this time studying arcane formula, Fighters would be constantly training, Clerics would be fasting/praying to their deity etc etc.

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-28, 10:27 PM
Leveling up is fun, and I like things that are fun.

I let players immediately gain any passive benefits when they level up, but things like new spells, soulmelds, bindings, etc., don't come until the players get a chance to rest. Their total HP increases immediately, but they don't actually gain new HP until they rest also (although when they do rest, they gain that amount plus the normal for resting).