PDA

View Full Version : Stacking DEX

NOhara24
2013-08-28, 09:02 PM
Hello Playground!

After some shenanigans in my current campaign, I have chosen to adopt the role of an existing NPC for a bit of time while a current player of mine takes the reins as DM.

This existing NPC is a gunslinger, and since I'll be playing him I'll obviously need to be building him an actual character sheet. My last character was a big angry sword-swinging type, and to pump his STR I used the Enlarge Person + Girallon's Blessing + Meld Arms trick to get him to pump out the damage. That combination of spells was nice because it was an "untyped" bonus and thus stacked with his other STR enhancing items.

I've only just begun researching, but does anyone know if there's a similar trick to being able to pump DEX? I've found the Gloves of Dexterity and the Manual of Quickness in Action, but those are enhancement and inherent bonuses and only offer a max of +11 DEX if I get the most expensive version, which I cannot currently afford.

Thoughts?

Prince Raven
2013-08-28, 09:56 PM
There's always Cat's Grace.

NOhara24
2013-08-28, 10:28 PM
Cat's Grace is an enhancement bonus, it wouldn't stack with the gloves.

Averis Vol
2013-08-28, 10:46 PM
is this 3.5 or PF, because the answers change drastically between the two.

rockdeworld
2013-08-29, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a mix of both 3.5 and PF. The easiest way to boost Dex is polymorphing into a Will-O’-Wisp for Dex 29. If you want to be humanoid or equip things, Gloura has Dex 21. If you're an outsider, Horned Devils have 25. Or ask if you can polymorph into a Shimmerling.

Otto_the_Bugbear has done some good work (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19865126/Got_bored..._which_resulted_in_a_new_AC_record.) in this area, so you can check out that post too.

Prince Raven
2013-08-29, 12:00 AM
Ok, Polymorph into something with really high DEX, like a Gloom.

John Longarrow
2013-08-29, 12:10 AM
One word answer... BATMAN.

Natural Direbat Lycanthrope. Stay in hybrid form. You get +12 DEX.

Makes for an awe inspiring martial artist to. Same guy with a level in Sword Sage and the feats Shadow Blade, Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike, plus the Two Weapon Fighting series gets to be an amazing unarmed combatant.

With a 16 dex to start, you've got 28 in hybrid form. Toss on goodies and you can get 32 before adding stat points. One from the 4 HD of bat and one more when you get your 8th level means can have a +12 stat mod at 11th ECL.

If you are looking at having an +6 item and +5 from books anyhow, I am guessing you are looking for a 20th level character? If so, you could easily have a dex of 16, +5 from leveling, +5 from books, +12 from being BATMAN, and a +6 item to give you a DEX of 44. ECL would be 23 though. Course having a reduce person on you so your now medium instead of large and gives a free +2 to dex for being a smaller size for a DEX of 46. :smallcool:

YES, this BATMAN is awesome!

Prince Raven
2013-08-29, 12:21 AM
Forget what I said, take John's advice, be Batman.

Guyver87
2013-08-29, 03:36 AM
Ferocity ACF for Barbarian, from Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) let's You use a variant of Rage that gives bonus to Strength and Dexterity, instead of Constitution.

It does not fit the Gunslinger very well, but it is written as controlled adrenaline surge, so maybe You would be able to roleplay around it.

Factotum's Brains over Brawn Class Feature let's You to add Int modifier to Str- and Dex-based checks, and Skill Checks using said Attributes.

It is however debatable, if "Str- and Dex-based checks" include Attack Rolls, or not. Probably not, but my GM let our Factotum to use it like that, mainly because his Attributes aside from Intelligence are pretty poor.

Still, the Batman Idea mentioned above is much better, than anything I could come up with...

DarkSonic1337
2013-08-29, 07:07 AM
Well this is a nice thread

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=13134.0