PDA

View Full Version : Cold themed PRC

S_Grey
2013-08-28, 09:13 PM
I'm making a frosty character, whose main shtick is dealing cold damage through auto attacks. Clearly not the best thing in the world, but I've gotten the idea into my head and it seems to be the only way I can get it out is to make it.

What I have so far is bard and rogue levels with both dragonfire strike and inspiration for d6's of delicious cold damage. I'm happy to continue in this trend, but not completely content with the lack of cold themed PRCs. I'd like one that can advance sneak attack.

Is there any such thing?

Edit: I guess not.

MirddinEmris
2013-08-28, 10:57 PM
Look in the supplement called Frostburn - it's the whole book dedicated to cold themed options, i'm sure you'll find what you want there

herrhauptmann
2013-08-28, 11:33 PM
Cryokineticist. There was an Iron Chef competition based on taht one a while back. Number 28 I believe.

Could also do a warlock who focused on hellrime blast for his eldritch essences.

As far as sneak attack? Not really. Could multiclass into swashbuckler and take Daring Outlaw, which will advance sneak attack.

A_S
2013-08-29, 12:39 AM
The Dragonfire Strike feat (DrM) lets you turn your sneak damage into energy damage (fire by default, but matches your draconic heritage, same as DFI). In the same book, there's a class called Hand of the Winged Masters that focuses on doing that. It eventually gets Improved Dragonfire Strike, which is...+1 damage/die on your sneak attack. Woo.

The class is otherwise pretty bad; it gives 3d6 sneak attack over 10 levels, a worse version of Darkstalker as the capstone, and some other pretty crappy class features to go with them. But hey, it progresses sneak attack and can do so as frost damage, so...yay?

If you're interested in looking up how to best use the class, it was an Iron Chef ingredient (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14005176) a while back.

*edit* Missed that you already have Dragonfire Strike. Well, HotWM stuff still stands.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-29, 02:44 AM
This variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) of the Pyrokineticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm) is most likely what you're after. You only need to take one level in the class, it's actually a huge worthless waste to take more than that. This gives you the ability to form a whip of cold energy that makes ranged touch attacks, but any feat that can be used with a standard whip can also be used with it. That means you can Power Attack with it, and keep in mind that extra damage from Power Attack or Sneak Attack or similar is the same damage type as the weapon's base damage, in this case cold damage. It's still a ranged attack, so you need Precise Shot and you provoke AoOs if threatened, but you can also use (Improved) Rapid Shot with it.

Thanatosia
2013-08-29, 06:09 AM
I'd start with a basic Wizard, and immediately start looking to pick up qualifying feats and skills for the Frostmage (Frostburn), and Elemental Savant (Complete Arcane) PRCs. For the 'autoattack' style frost attacks, get the Winter's Blast feat (complete Mage), wich lets ya shoot off a cone of cold style attack every turn, scaling up to 9d4 damage (and also bolsters your CL when casting actual frost spells). The Frost Mage also has some class features to help your frost abilities 'pierce' resistance and immunities to frost damage, so you are less easily shut down by them.

Crasical
2013-08-29, 07:19 AM
It's still a ranged attack, so you need Precise Shot and you provoke AoOs if threatened, but you can also use (Improved) Rapid Shot with it.

:smallconfused:

That's very odd.