PDA

View Full Version : Oh, c'mon Hollywood.......

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-12-19, 05:46 PM
Alright, i just found this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcc_Tfjp5HI) of a trailer for a new movie based off that wonderful children's book The Bridge to Terabithia. And guess what? From the looks of it the moive has turned the book into The Chronicles of Harry Potter: The Return of Eragon and the Chocalate Factory (to paraphrase the blog i found the video on). Seriously, i can't have been the only child to love this book, it was most liklely the first book to make me cry, and Hollywood is gonna kill it with this movie...

My one hope is that they are marketing it as a totally different movie than it actually is... because jeesh.... this should be illegal...

Anyone else love this book? Am I alone?

I remember when a teacher of mine told me that at one school she worked at the book was banned and i was totally mystified.... ahh to be young and innocent... (hmm, it's kinda odd i'm seeminglythis jaded at 17...)

Also i found the trailer here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcc_Tfjp5HI) originally

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-12-19, 06:30 PM
I just read it in school and am pissed that they screwed with it this much. The whole thing was supposed to be in their heads! I also was shown a low-budget film of it that was really good. If Holywood had done this to the book, it could have been nice. You're right. It shouldn't be legal.

And it was banned because of the instances of cursing in it.

Turcano
2006-12-19, 08:16 PM
The thing that I'm amazed at is the fact that you're surprised. The film industry has no greater collective desire than to ravage your childhood memories. It's happened so many times before that I've simply learned to expect it.

faerwain
2006-12-20, 07:25 AM
Never read the book, but the guy making the trailer has ..err.. viewed the Lord of the Rings trailers closely, to put it that way..

Serpentine
2006-12-23, 09:17 PM
I was mildly annoyed, but not particularly surprised, at what they did to the (admittedly reasonably trashy) book "Ella Enchanted" - from the look of the trailer, they turned it into just another pre-teen girly love-story. Okay, so that's what the book really was, but it was a fairy tale pre-teen girly love-story. It was fantasy.
Haven't heard of the book in question, but I'll keep an eye out for it now.

Beleriphon
2006-12-24, 08:43 AM
I was mildly annoyed, but not particularly surprised, at what they did to the (admittedly reasonably trashy) book "Ella Enchanted" - from the look of the trailer, they turned it into just another pre-teen girly love-story. Okay, so that's what the book really was, but it was a fairy tale pre-teen girly love-story. It was fantasy.
Haven't heard of the book in question, but I'll keep an eye out for it now.

I should probably point out that Ella Enchanted was very much a fairy tale type story. I know this only because a friend of mine has two young girls that I occasionally baby sit. They adore that movie along with The Pricess Diaries. From the look of the trailer its unclear what order any of the depicted events occur. Thus the thing with the rope swing really could be at the end and the girl very well could die.

Spartan_Samuel
2007-01-11, 11:29 PM
Well that's very... supportive of Hollywood. Why would you want the book exactly? You already know what happened, would it not be repetative to have the EXACT same thing in the movies as the books? Either way, I appreciate the movies as a different perspective on the books. I don't know about any of you, but I like different versions of the same story.

Serpentine
2007-01-12, 08:39 AM
I should probably point out that Ella Enchanted was very much a fairy tale type story. I said that. Didn't I? I think that's what made it so depressing - the book's more fairy tale than teeny lovey-dovey rubbish. Sort of.

The Pricess Diaries.
Guh.

Thus the thing with the rope swing really could be at the end and the girl very well could die.
Was that in The Princess Diaries or Ella Enchanted? If the latter, I think it must be an invention of the script-writer, cuz I don't remember it being in the book...

Deckmaster
2007-01-12, 12:06 PM
Ella Enchanted, the movie, is actually pretty good. It's funny and has the right air of parody. It doesn't make fun of a specific fairy tale, just fairy tales in general, while at the same time showing a good deal of respect for them. It does have the basic plot of Cinderella, but it's changed to the point where it's almost unrecognizable. It's not just a teeny-girl romance film, although that is the main plot. And Carey Elwes makes any film better just by his presence, not to mention the narrative work by a former Monty Python member (which one, I'm not sure, but I think it's Eric Idle.)

Green Bean
2007-01-12, 12:15 PM
THE TRAILER!! IT BURNS US!!!

Seriously, I read that book when I was ten and I cried at the end. They're turning it into Harry Potter of Narnia: The Fellowship of the Ring :furious:

Don Beegles
2007-01-14, 04:23 PM
Ella Enchanted, the movie, is actually pretty good. It's funny and has the right air of parody. It doesn't make fun of a specific fairy tale, just fairy tales in general, while at the same time showing a good deal of respect for them. It does have the basic plot of Cinderella, but it's changed to the point where it's almost unrecognizable. It's not just a teeny-girl romance film, although that is the main plot. And Carey Elwes makes any film better just by his presence, not to mention the narrative work by a former Monty Python member (which one, I'm not sure, but I think it's Eric Idle.)

I agree completely. I watched Ella Enchanted with my sister once, and I had to say that it wasn't particularly good. It was, however, fairly amusnig when it wasn't being a trashy preteen romance. I felt that the entire thing was redeemed by three things that make any movie good: Queen, in the form of Somebody to Love, Cary Elwes, and a member of Monty Python (Yes, it was Idle)

ElfLad
2007-01-14, 06:48 PM
Wasn't Leslie supposed to be an androgynous tomboy in the book? Looks and sounds way too girly.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-01-16, 07:10 PM
I agree completely. I watched Ella Enchanted with my sister once, and I had to say that it wasn't particularly good. It was, however, fairly amusnig when it wasn't being a trashy preteen romance. I felt that the entire thing was redeemed by three things that make any movie good: Queen, in the form of Somebody to Love, Cary Elwes, and a member of Monty Python (Yes, it was Idle)
I liked that book (which is suppossedly odd for a guy) and just couldn't bring myself to see the movie, i like Anne Hathaway (and i believe she is the lead) but i didn't think it would make a good movie..... (the book that is)

Serpentine
2007-01-16, 09:22 PM
And Carey Elwes makes any film better just by his presence, not to mention the narrative work by a former Monty Python member (which one, I'm not sure, but I think it's Eric Idle.)
Hmm. Maybe it is worth watching, then, if Idle was involved...
Who's Carey Elwes? No doubt I should know.

averagejoe
2007-01-16, 09:32 PM
What the... I... This... But... Did... uh... GAH!

I am almost literally speechless. I mean, come on. Whatever happened to imagination? I mean... gah! The movie missed the point sooo much. I don't care if the movie is completely unlike the trailer, showing literal depictions of their fantasies misses what made the book great. I mean, part of the event at the end (people who've read the book know what I mean. Let's not spoil it for the others) was the fact that the boy (whose name escapes me) didn't really believe it.

Seriously, that book was so touching it made me cry. Even I, a paragon of masculinity (just look at my avatar :smallwink: ), am not afraid to admit it, because the book was just that touching. I mean, come on, what's wrong with those people?

I also agree with the above tomboy statement.

Druid
2007-01-17, 05:34 AM
Wow, I'm just... wow.

*sinks in*

What the hell was that?

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-01-17, 03:55 PM
Hmm. Maybe it is worth watching, then, if Idle was involved...
Who's Carey Elwes? No doubt I should know.
Carey elwes is the dread pirate roberts in the princess bride and robin hood in men in tights and he was in saw 1.....