PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder or Pure Homebrew System?

InQbait
2013-08-29, 12:50 AM
Which do you playgrounders prefer: A system like Pathfinder, which is rules-intricate, or something you could create yourself? I am asking because I don't like spending an hour and a half creating a 1st-level character for Pathfinder. I am not saying Pathfinder is a terrible system that shouldn't be played ever, I am just saying that I would prefer something that is a little easier on the brain cells, you know? And sometimes, that is what we need. A system that is simple. It may not be as in-depth as Pathfinder is, but it is more chill and casual. So, what do you say, playgrounders? On a normal day, which would you rather sit down and play, a complicated game like Pathfinder, or something quick and easy, but that could still last longer than a single session?

kyoryu
2013-08-29, 01:27 AM
Why not a system less intricate, but that you didn't create yourself?

There's a ton of games out there that aren't Pathfinder, and they have the advantage over pure homebrew that they've almost certainly had more playtesting and hammering on than anything you'd come up with in a reasonable time period.

erikun
2013-08-29, 01:44 AM
There are many, many, many other games available, even for free. I've been watching STaRS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281582) and was just looking at the thread few minutes ago, to give you an idea of how quickly you can find and read through such systems. There are many D&D clones and retroclones out there as well, if you prefer something with more D&D mechanics.

Conversely, if I was going to homebrew something, I'd more likely patch the problematic parts of Pathfinder rather than create an entirely new system. I mean, creating your own system can take years.

oxybe
2013-08-29, 01:49 AM
could i choose neither, as i don't care the slightest for pathfinder and i regretfully lack the drive and organizational skills needed to homebrew up a system proper myself?

really, if my options are make my own system or play one i don't care for, i'd rather stay home and watch youtube. or play a new videogame. maybe go for a walk. or play with the cats. do laundry. go grocery shopping.

anything else really.

JusticeZero
2013-08-29, 02:39 AM
Pathfinder, because the existing complexity there means that the actually difficult stuff is out of my hands, and I can focus on the game.

Saidoro
2013-08-29, 08:21 AM
Classy d20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238560) is an excellent system if you want something D&D like and rule-light.

Dr. Yes
2013-08-29, 11:00 AM
While I have some issues with Pathfinder's balance and power growth curve, the one thing I absolutely love about it is the complexity. The game of character creation, searching for feats and features and items to make your character concept come to life just so, is honestly my favorite part of tabletop. Part of the reason I started DMing was so that I would have a valid excuse to make new characters every week.

Lorsa
2013-08-30, 06:22 AM
If my options were between Pathfinder or Pure Homebrew System I would probably choose Pathfinder. I have never played it, but nor have I played this Pure Homebrew System, and the last time I tried something that someone proud himself with having "written in 2 weeks", it was pretty bad. Pathfinder on the other hand have some fans, so it's probably better than the vague Pure Homebrew System.

Vortalism
2013-08-30, 07:04 AM
If you still want D&D but without too much nuts and bolts there is the option of Basic, AD&D and retroclones out there. Basic Fantasy is a great example of something dead simple with a reasonable amount of support, completely free and still D&D-like.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-30, 09:25 AM
None of the above. :smalltongue:

13th Age is the only game I've played recently that even resembles D&D/Pathfinder. And even then, there's differences. You should see my eclectic collection. None homebrew.

Dsurion
2013-08-30, 05:07 PM
Warrior Rogue and Mage (http://www.stargazergames.eu/games/warrior-rogue-mage/).

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-30, 05:41 PM
I do enjoy a good rules-heavy game like 3.5 or Pathfinder manytimes. But for one shots in particular, I do enjoy a good rules-light system. (The one I mostly use (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281582)is homebrew, but that's a coincidence)

Hiro Protagonest
2013-08-30, 06:37 PM
FUDGE and FATE. I haven't gotten around to fully reading FUDGE, but both systems are modular (FUDGE moreso, FATE has to stick to pulpy stuff mostly). They're also very different from D&D, FATE's aspect system in particular is completely alien, and most of FUDGE is incomplete because it depends on the setting and how you want the game to work.

kyoryu
2013-08-30, 07:11 PM
Fate's not limited to 'pulpy'.

Thrudd
2013-08-30, 07:48 PM
Which do you playgrounders prefer: A system like Pathfinder, which is rules-intricate, or something you could create yourself? I am asking because I don't like spending an hour and a half creating a 1st-level character for Pathfinder. I am not saying Pathfinder is a terrible system that shouldn't be played ever, I am just saying that I would prefer something that is a little easier on the brain cells, you know? And sometimes, that is what we need. A system that is simple. It may not be as in-depth as Pathfinder is, but it is more chill and casual. So, what do you say, playgrounders? On a normal day, which would you rather sit down and play, a complicated game like Pathfinder, or something quick and easy, but that could still last longer than a single session?

What kind of game do you want to play? If you want D&D but don't want the infinite character choices of 3e/PF, then go back to AD&D 1e or Basic/Expert. In AD&D you roll your abilities, choose your class, buy your starting equipment, and you're done. If you're a spellcaster, you choose a few spells that you know.

magwaaf
2013-08-30, 08:29 PM
finder. its the system i want with all kinds of fixes and great add ons

Hiro Protagonest
2013-08-30, 09:27 PM
finder. its the system i want with all kinds of fixes and great add ons

...Just to be clear, you're talking about Pathfinder, right? The one whose main dev is Sean K. Reynolds?