PDA

View Full Version : freedom spell versus freedom of movement spell

Devronq
2013-08-29, 01:53 AM
So i was just looking at the Freedom spell and comparing it to the freedom of movement spell.

So the Freedom spell can do everything the FOM spell can do but with the addition benefit of revering specific spells such as imprisonment and maze. That's the only extra benefit it grants right?

That seems really bad i mean its 5 levels higher just to add the benefit of stopping a few specific effects and it doesn't even have a duration... (well instantaneous)

Am i missing something because it seems the level 9 spell is inferior to the level 4 spell...

I was thinking maybe making it like lv.6 and last 1/round level. Suggestions or anything im not seeing?

eggynack
2013-08-29, 02:04 AM
Essentially, the spell's only purpose is to get someone out of imprisonment. There's no real point in buffing the incidental effects, because outside of putting in a pile of new effects, there's nothing that'll make you cast this over your other 9th level options. You just go through your life, not needing it, and then in the corner case where you need it, you wait a day and prepare it. It's never going to replace shapechange, not in a million years. Hell, it's probably never going to replace foresight, outside of the one situation where it does. I'd advise just letting it be what it is, and living with the knowledge that some high level spells are sucktacular.

erikun
2013-08-29, 02:06 AM
Freedom of Movement cannot stop Imprisonment, Maze, Temporal Stasis, sleep, petrification, or stunning. The conditions remove or limit actions available and generally disallow taking actions at all (stunning may be questionable) while the spell effects generally place the character somewhere where their actions won't have any meaningful effect, such as stopped time or a Maze pocket dimension.

Also, you can't target a creature with Freedom of Movement while they are Imprisoned or Mazed anyways. They aren't on the physical plane at that point, so are not a valid recipient of the spell (and can't be touched anyways).

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-29, 06:28 AM
Essentially, this spell is only 9th level because Imprisonment is.

Darrin
2013-08-29, 08:22 AM
So the Freedom spell can do everything the FOM spell can do but with the addition benefit of revering specific spells such as imprisonment and maze. That's the only extra benefit it grants right?

It's also part of the standard "clean up" kit for dealing with the aftermath of mucking around with a Deck of Many Things. But, as eggynack and KillianHawkeye said, it's all due to imprisonment being a 9th level spell.

If you don't have any PC currently imprisoned, and you have any empires or continents currently on your "sh!t list" list, you could also use it to release Cthulhu.