PDA

View Full Version : Dread Necromancer Help (3.5)

Zanthy1
2013-08-29, 05:32 AM
Hello! A while back I posted a similar thread asking for assistance in making a Dread Necromancer (a while back being sometime last year I believe). Well I never got around to actually making that character, but now I have an opportunity to finally play him, and would love some assistance in getting some helpful tips!

Format is 3.5, any book is good, however I prefer to use ones that I have a hard copy of. Books I have are:

Player's Handbook (I & II)
DM's Guide
Monster Manual (I & II)
Races of the Dragon
Exemplars of Evil
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Dragon Magic
Magic Item Compendium
Libris Mortis: The Book of Undead
Heroes of Horror

I also might buy the Spell Compendium, however that remains to be seen.

Starts at a level 5 character, with the basic starting gold for that level, so 9,000 gold.

Things I specifically would like assistance with, but more is always welcome:

Race
Feats
Spells
Items

In terms of gauging how I want to play this character, I am a fan of minionomancy, however I want to make this guy more melee orientated. I plan to put max skill points into Craft: Sewing and sew the faces of my enemies together into something, maybe like a cloak? Any thoughts on that and how to make it cool but still not have every person in town, and possibly my own party hunting me down would be cool. I do happen to know that 1 of the other players is practically a LG person in real life, and that always carries over into her characters, so I may want to be a little sneaky about my extreme evils, but also I don't really care that much about getting caught.

Thanks!

Chilingsworth
2013-08-29, 06:42 AM
Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214212) the handbook. Might be a good place to start.

Other than that, starting at 5th level would allow you to begin as a necropolitian, if you want and your dm allows.

If you do that, feel free to dump con.

For spells: Kelore's Gravemist is a good choice for your first advanced learning spell. Also, definitely get the Spell Compendium, if you can.

Zanthy1
2013-08-29, 02:34 PM
What book is necropolitan in?

GilesTheCleric
2013-08-29, 02:42 PM
LM 114.

Also, I'm going to second buying the SC. I think I saw it on amazon for 20 USD, which is a pretty good deal considering it was going for ~50 a little while back.

If you're planning on sewing faces, consider tanning them first. "Leather is leather, whether it comes from a tiger or sheep" (paraphrase from Thoreau). Just put the face side on the inside, maybe.

You could also think about being a spellstitched. Check my sig for some good spells.

Norin
2013-08-29, 02:42 PM
What book is necropolitan in?

libris mortis, if my memory serves.

Zanthy1
2013-08-30, 05:40 AM
I now have a question about becoming a Necopolitan. Is it possible to make a character who already went through the ritual? The starting level for this campaign is 5, if I were to enter as a necropolitan, would I just be 1000xp short of level 5? Or something else?

Melcar
2013-08-30, 06:57 AM
Shivering Touch is a must have! Its such an OP spell!

Cloud
2013-08-30, 07:12 AM
On what level you are, and how much XP you're down, is really up to the DM. If it was me, I'd take your starting level / XP, and THEN apply necropolitian. If you can be only 1000 XP short of level 5, that's an even better deal. You want to take necropolitian sooner rather than later though and ride the 'XP gravy train' back to the same level as your allies.

If you decide against necropolitian (being undead is a really strong choice for Dread Necromancers, but you are one greater turning away from being dusted if you annoy the DM) then Tomb Tainted Soul is basically a required feat. (While you're at it, try to get the rest of the party to take this.)

Feats depends on how much you want to go into minionmancy, if the DM will let Undead Mastery count as Corspecrafter, and if your minions will act on your initiative or there own. Related to feats, one of your strongest choices for race is as always human, that extra feat really helps out.

Considering the only spell you can pick is the one from advanced learning, I'll add another nod towards picking Kelgore's Gravemist, which is in PHBII I believe.