PDA

View Full Version : Explosives arrows on the cheap.

Doomboy911
2013-08-29, 08:30 AM
Alright so I'm whipping up a freedom fighter ranger character. Part of his character was trick arrows and such, rope cutting, smoke arrows, and explosions. These are expensive though especially if you're filling a quiver. So are there any feats or things I can do to make these arrows myself?

Radar
2013-08-29, 08:59 AM
Near the description of the item there should be a list of requirements and costs for crafting it. I'm guessing it would require Craft: Weaponsmithing and Craft: Alchemy skills, if those arrows are mundane in nature. For magical arrows it would be Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat. It will still cost you, since you need crafting materials and a lot of time to make your arrows.

Talothorn
2013-08-29, 09:17 AM
Clay or glass arrowheads + explosive runes = +6d6 damage, no save (to target) and save for half within 10'.
Cost: 5 levels of wizard or cooperation with party wizard, couple of ranks in relevent craft skill, some tools.

Darrin
2013-08-29, 09:23 AM
The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0) might be worth a look, although I think that may be more specific to crafting magic items.

Something else to consider would be a two-level dip into Menacing Brute (Races of Destiny). Requires a non-good half-orc with Iron Will (via Otyugh Hole if need be), but it gets this ability called Resourceful Search (Ex). Once per day, if you're in an appropriately-sized urban area, you can find any non-magical item up to 200 GP. That should cover all the alchemical/oddball arrows.

Doomboy911
2013-08-29, 06:07 PM
The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0) might be worth a look, although I think that may be more specific to crafting magic items.

Something else to consider would be a two-level dip into Menacing Brute (Races of Destiny). Requires a non-good half-orc with Iron Will (via Otyugh Hole if need be), but it gets this ability called Resourceful Search (Ex). Once per day, if you're in an appropriately-sized urban area, you can find any non-magical item up to 200 GP. That should cover all the alchemical/oddball arrows.

Hmm now comes the questions what are the trick arrows out there? I know you've got some decent handbooks for items do you have anything for trick arrows?

justiceforall
2013-08-29, 11:28 PM
Clay or glass arrowheads + explosive runes = +6d6 damage, no save

Can someone please explain to me how this works in RAW? From the SRD on Explosive Runes:

...The runes detonate when read ... but attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion.

That passage does not say to me "arrowhead shattering detonates the runes". Is there something official somewhere that fully justifies the interpretation of shattering the arrowhead equalling detonating the runes?

animewatcha
2013-08-30, 12:46 AM
tried googling to no avail. How much is dynamite? That is, attaching it to arrow ahead of time and what not.

TuggyNE
2013-08-30, 01:06 AM
Can someone please explain to me how this works in RAW? From the SRD on Explosive Runes:

That passage does not say to me "arrowhead shattering detonates the runes". Is there something official somewhere that fully justifies the interpretation of shattering the arrowhead equalling detonating the runes?

I think the usual idea is that shattering the arrowhead constitutes an attempt to erase the runes. Take that as you will.

Chronos
2013-08-30, 09:12 AM
If it constitutes an attempt to erase them, it's a successful one.

Doomboy911
2013-08-30, 12:18 PM
Ok upon looking at the trick arrows out there isn't a good deal of selection. Is there an arrow that delivers a tanglefoot bags?

Uhtred
2013-08-30, 05:49 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide has a handy selection of trick arrows, supposing your DM allows it. From Entangling arrows to Thundering arrows, all your alchemical effects, with a composite longbow's 120ft range!
Also check Races of the Wild, some fun trick arrows there, too, IIRC

Doomboy911
2013-08-31, 06:54 PM
Alright so I can't seem to find the entangling arrows which would really fill all my needs.

Also the dm is letting me use craft to cheapen my arrows.

avr
2013-08-31, 07:33 PM
If you can use Pathfinder material, Elves of Golarion has tanglefoot arrows. On d20pfsrd here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrow-tanglefoot).

Saintheart
2013-09-01, 04:05 AM
Ok upon looking at the trick arrows out there isn't a good deal of selection. Is there an arrow that delivers a tanglefoot bags?

The harpoon out of Stormwrack does something similar. Throw it, hit, and the target has to Ref. save against the harpoon's damage not to have it lodge in and halve the target's movement, as well as preventing it charging or running. Doesn't have the DEX debuff, but it's effective if you want to shut down uberchargers.

Other tricks: Arrowsplit and Shadow Arrow spells out of Champions of Ruin for rangers, but still rather nice.

Kane0
2013-09-01, 04:43 AM
Buy a bunch of regular arrows, some alchemical supplies and use the craft skill to make the trick arrows you need.

Rope + Arrow = Tripwire/Grappling arrow
Smokestick + Arrow = Smoke bomb arrow
Alchemists Fire/Frost + Arrow = Fire/Frost arrow
Thunderstone + Arrow = Screaming Arrow
Tanglefoot bag + Arrow = Entangling arrow
Arrow + Hammer/Chisel = Blunt arrow
Holy Water + Arrow = Undead bane arrow

If you want higher quality arrows, add in some sovereign glue or something when making a batch.

Cicciograna
2013-09-01, 05:45 AM
Buy a bunch of regular arrows, some alchemical supplies and use the craft skill to make the trick arrows you need.

Rope + Arrow = Tripwire/Grappling arrow
Smokestick + Arrow = Smoke bomb arrow
Alchemists Fire/Frost + Arrow = Fire/Frost arrow
Thunderstone + Arrow = Screaming Arrow
Tanglefoot bag + Arrow = Entangling arrow
Arrow + Hammer/Chisel = Blunt arrow
Holy Water + Arrow = Undead bane arrow

If you want higher quality arrows, add in some sovereign glue or something when making a batch.
I know I'm probabily killing - or at least life-threatening - many catgirls out there, but I don't think an arrow with something as heavy as the things you described attached to it would ever fly.
Arrows require an aerodynamic shape to fly straight, and tying clumps of stuff/flasks with liquids inside/unraveling ropes to them completely disrupts such a shape.

This being D&D, however, such tricks can surely work.

Kane0
2013-09-01, 07:21 AM
Of course these wouldnt actually work like that, or else we'd see things like rambo putting napalm on his arrows in the movies.

But we have alchemy and crazy gnomish incentors and magic, so i'm sure we can work out something.

Edit: using certain alchemical sticks for arrow shafts would be cool too. Sunrods, tindertwigs, smokesticks, immovable rods. Maybe even expended wands!

Doomboy911
2013-09-02, 08:44 PM
So I spent about 1,227 on about 380 arrows. Most of the cash went towards alchemist arrows. Crazy expensive.

Ezekiul
2013-09-02, 10:51 PM
if you dont mind some magical abilities, you might want to consider the arcane archer. they get to apply some area spells to their arrows.

Radar
2013-09-03, 01:35 AM
if you dont mind some magical abilities, you might want to consider the arcane archer. they get to apply some area spells to their arrows.
The problem is, Arcane Archer does not advance casting at all, which makes it difficult to ever get any interesting spells worth chanelling.