View Full Version : [3.5*] The Shadow Broker PC - Build Help Request

ConsoleChairman
2013-08-29, 08:51 AM
I'm trying to recreate the Shadow Broker (of the Mass Effect universe) or The Broker (of the EVE Online universe) or basically just a terrifyingly knowledgeable black market information dealer in D&D 3.5* and I'm starting to get a little stumped.

*D&D 3.5, 3.0, third party, Dragon Magazine, Dungeon Magazine, D20 Modern feats are all allowed with minor exceptions. No homebrew.

The character as I have it now

Stats, Misc

{table]Name|Raziel
Race|Human
Alignment|Neutral Evil
Adjustment|Middle-Aged
Occupation|Cosmopolitan
STR|13 (14-1)
DEX|11 (12-1)
CON|11 (12-1)
INT|19 (18+1)
WIS|13 (12+1)
CHA|17 (16+1)
Languages|Common, Infernal, Auran, Aquan, Terran, Draconic +2 more
Skills|Gather Information, Bluff, Sense Motive, Diplomacy, Perform
Feats|6-Leadership, 12-Mindsight
Ability Increases|4-Int, Else-Cha[/table]

Class Progression
{table=head]ECL|Class - Level (Source)|Notes
1|Bardic Sage - 1 (UA p.49)|Grants +2 Bardic Knowledge
2|Cloistered + Domain-Focused Cleric - 1 (UA p.50 + Dr347 p.91)|Domain Focus: Tyranny Domain - +4 DC on Enchantment(Compulsion) Spells
3|Bardic Sage - 2|
4|Bardic Sage - 3|
5|Bardic Sage - 4|
6|World Speaker - 1 (Dr311 p.65)|Tongues 1/day as Sor/Wiz
7|Paragnostic Apostle - 1 (CC p.94)|Double Bardic Knowledge
8|World Speaker - 2|Speak with Animals at will
9|World Speaker - 3|Speak with Plants at will
10|World Speaker - 4|Speak with Stone 1/day, Speak with Fire/Water/Air 1/day
11|Sublime Chord - 1 (CArc p.60)|Sorcerer casting progression
12|Mindbender - 1 (Carc p.54)|Telepathy + Mindsight
13|Sublime Chord - 2|Song of Arcane Power
14+|?|?[/table]

Ok, now that that's out of the way, I've come here for some slight optimization, general discussion of things to do, and just help in filling in the 14-20 levels. Also spell choice (especially Enchantment(Compulsion)) recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This character will be my PC in an upcoming game that begins at Level 1 so it'll have to be playable at every level, also I'm trying to maintain full Sublime Chord spell progression if at all possible. My DM is a little funny about what is and isn't allowed, I'll try to keep a running list to aid in our building and discussion. Thank you all for any help you can offer or just general warnings/caveats this build has that I might not have noticed.

Special Rules

Flaws - flaws are allowed, but are determined at random by the DM. Once a flaw is rolled, it is permanent until character permadeath.
Psionics - not available to PCs.
Dragons - no true dragons, others are fine.
Incarnum - I, personally, cannot have Incarnum magics. This does not apply to my followers, cohort(s), etc. (it's a racial/regional thing).
Stats - My stats were rolled, not generated. They can be reassigned and the original rolls are 12/12/12/14/16/18
Class Variants - You can combine class variants at will to your heart's content as long as none of them replace the same feature (hence how I can have Cloistered + Domain Focused Cleric in one level)
Occupation - This is a D20 Modern thing, my DM likes it so he gave us the books and let us pick one. Cosmopolitan nets me a social feat (+2 to 2 social skills), some extra starting gold, 2 bonus languages at first level, and a +1 to 2 skills of my choice from a short social list.
PrC Requirements - Task Requirements (like kill a dragon and such) are in full effect, but Membership Requirements, Regional Requirements, etc. are hand-waived.
D20 Modern - Feats and Occupations from this system and its extended books are allowed, but nothing else as a general rule.
Leadership - I'm taking Leadership and so is my Cohort (and his and his, etc.) However, only MY Cohort will have a large and obvious presence in the game, the rest will pop up on occasion for story reasons and fluff. It's a negotiation with the DM to have Leadership chaining without Leadership chaining. He controls the creation of all Cohorts, but they are created to my recruitment requirements. He controls all Cohorts and Followers except the ones from my personal Leadership feat.
Races - Races are limited to a specific list he created for his realm. By and large, anytime I ask about races it sounds like I'm better just sticking with Human due to all the caveats of being anything else. Also most "Standard" races seem to be absent (there are sentient tree-people, though).
Magic Items - Magic Items exist, can be created as normal, etc. However, unless you create them all yourself, it is not "magic item Christmas" as my DM put it. We might get them as treasure but they will be extremely rare outside of what we make ourselves.

Psyren
2013-08-29, 08:52 AM
I think there's a Spy Master PrC that can be a decent "information broker" but I'm AFB.

There are also rules for Contacts and Favors and such in DMG2 that you might need.

ConsoleChairman
2013-08-29, 08:55 AM
Oops, right. I forgot to add that I'm trying to maintain full progression once I get the Sublime Chord. I think Spy Master was progression-less, wasn't it?

Psyren
2013-08-29, 08:59 AM
Oops, right. I forgot to add that I'm trying to maintain full progression once I get the Sublime Chord. I think Spy Master was progression-less, wasn't it?

I believe so - again, I'm AFB.

But I also recall it being very small (3 levels? 5?) so you may be able to squeeze it in.

Gah, I'll let someone with their books tackle this one.

ConsoleChairman
2013-08-29, 09:05 AM
I believe so - again, I'm AFB.

But I also recall it being very small (3 levels? 5?) so you may be able to squeeze it in.

Gah, I'll let someone with their books tackle this one.

No worries, I've still got plenty of time to plan this character so if you think of another class/feat/etc later, drop by, AFB or not. I can always find at least generic details on whatever it is somewhere.

Diovid
2013-08-29, 09:18 AM
I think the Urban Savant prc from Cityscape would fit the concept quite nicely.

If allowed you should use gnome as his race for the Trivial Knowledge feat from Races of Stone. I believe there are even gnome subraces with an int bonus.

1 level of Marshal for Motivate Intelligence and 1 level of Dragonfire Adept for the Draconic Knowledge invocation would also fit.

The Master of Stores skill trick from Complete Scoundrel would suit the character well.

As for feats, you could look at:

Breadth of Knowledge (UA)
Obscure Lore (Complete Adventurer)
Master of Knowledge (Heroes of Horror)
Knowledge Devotion (Complete Champion)
Draconic Aura, Insight (Dragon Magic)
Draconic Knowledge (Dragon Magic)
Gnome Lore / Gnomelore (some dragon magazine)

ConsoleChairman
2013-08-29, 09:39 AM
I think the Urban Savant prc from Cityscape would fit the concept quite nicely.

For their first level ability, do you happen to know if Bardic Knowledge applies? Either way it looks good either in place of 12+ or starting at 14+. Good find.

If allowed you should use gnome as his race for the Trivial Knowledge feat from Races of Stone. I believe there are even gnome subraces with an int bonus.

Gnome is unlikely, I added a piece to the special rules for future reference. Basically my DM created his own world from scratch and a lot of more common races have caveats or just don't exist for players. All in all, race seems like something better left alone in his world.

1 level of Marshal for Motivate Intelligence and 1 level of Dragonfire Adept for the Draconic Knowledge invocation would also fit.

Marshal might be better left to my Cohort, I'd think, since I'm leaning on possible having him be a Chameleon 2/Full casting something for item creation. A dip in Marshal in his early levels probably wouldn't hurt, but I'm only just qualifying for my PrCs in a number of places and Marshal might be too expensive to take early enough to be useful. Still worth noting, though. Thanks.

ConsoleChairman
2013-09-03, 05:54 PM
Talking with my DM, he has stated he wouldn't stop me if I just went Versatile Spellcasting -> Mystic Theurge...is there any reason I shouldn't just do this instead? I'd end with 5th level Cleric spells and full Sublime Chord progression.

A_S
2013-09-03, 06:47 PM
Unseen Seer seems potentially cool for this concept? Divination seems good for a knowledge broker, and so does stealth.