PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder shape changing

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-29, 09:24 AM
Ok, so I am dabbling in a character who focuses on shapechanging in a 3.P game. He is a transmuter with wizard 8.

So I am parsing what exactly carries over from the beast shape line of spells. Specifically, can I still use items I carry like swords and wands, and do I get the natural attacks of the form I take?

Beyond that, is there any advice about shape changing in pathfinder?

Psyren
2013-08-29, 11:03 AM
Before I answer your questions you should definitely read the Polymorph (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Transmutation-Polymorph) entry.

And here we go:

Specifically, can I still use items I carry like swords and wands, and do I get the natural attacks of the form I take?

1) You can only use this gear if you do NOT shapeshift into an animal, dragon, elemental, magical beast, plant, or vermin. (So forms like humanoids, fey, aberrations, outsiders and undead can use these items.) The Beast Shape line typically makes you an animal or magical beast, so the answer is no, you can't use swords and wands with these spells.

2) Yes, you gain all natural attacks of the creature you shift into.

Beyond that, is there any advice about shape changing in pathfinder?

The link I posted above should give you all you need, but I'll post some highlights:

1) For maximum effectiveness, aim for forms that have as many of the abilities the spell gives you as you can - the spell only lists what your potential benefits are, you need the right form to actually get all of them.
2) You gain the base speed of the assumed form, so avoid slow creatures.
3) Constant bonus items do continue to function while melded, so focus on obtaining those. (For example, if you're wearing a Belt of Physical Might, it will continue to provide its bonuses to your ability scores, and likewise a Cloak of Resistance will continue to boost your saving throws.)
4) Your size cannot be changed except by the polymorph spell itself, so don't bother picking up spells like Enlarge/Reduce Person.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-29, 11:23 AM
Cool, so I think I am going to end up focusing on the megaraptor as a base form.

Thanks for answering my questions. I was not aware that much of what I was missing was described in the subschool.