PDA

View Full Version : I've found a problem with this comic strip...

littlebum2002
2013-08-29, 10:49 AM
I'd love to proclaim that this strip is perfect, but it isn't. Something has been bugging me lately, and I finally figured out what it is.

I'm sick and tired of the color tan. I mean, we had a nice welcome break in the pyramid, but other than that, the last 150 strips or so have been sand, sand, sand. Go in the desert to find pyramid. Go to desert-themed empire. See gladiators fight in sand. Explore desert, again, and find other pyramid. Blow up said pyramid, then fight in sand, then talk in sand.

The storyline has never been more exciting, I'm constantly on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what happens next. But I know how Belkar feels: I'm SICK of this sand!!

There's one thing I can say good about them being in the desert all this time though. At least it's not blue. Ugh.

Of course this is all in good humor. I love this strip, and I can't wait to get sick of whatever background color is in the land our adventures travel to next. Maybe green forests? Or black caves? Or maybe the shimmery gray of the astral plane? I can't wait!

Nimrod's Son
2013-08-29, 11:32 AM
If they're heading stright for Kraagor's, it's probably going to be snowy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html).

ThePhantasm
2013-08-29, 11:47 AM
I actually love the colors in this arc. This book has been in my opinion the best looking so far.

littlebum2002
2013-08-29, 12:06 PM
I actually love the colors in this arc. This book has been in my opinion the best looking so far.

Going back, I find I like his red strips the best. Strips in H-E-double hockey sticks, or with the Empress, or with V just seem to pop. Maybe that's another reason I am not liking the colors of this arc, because V has seen so little face time.

is_Wayside
2013-08-29, 01:31 PM

Same here. Love it, love it!

Cuthalion
2013-08-29, 01:53 PM

Yeah, he's definitely getting a lot better, also with the motion of the sand. I mean, it's so much more polished than it used to be.

Draz74
2013-08-29, 03:09 PM
That's true. Color schemes aside, the Giant's artistic ability to portray ambient movement and imply detail has "leveled up" since they arrived on the Western Continent.

Don't get me wrong, the strip has been visually appealing since ... I dunno, somewhere around #150. But it's nice that the Giant isn't resting on his laurels, but continues to hone his unique stick figure cartoon style.

(And I'm with Nimrod's Son: the next color scheme overload is likely to be white.)

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-29, 04:26 PM
Maybe I'm a strange person, but this seems like a weird thing to be bothered by.

Also, NOTHING is perfect.

Emulgator
2013-08-29, 04:48 PM
Maybe I'm a strange person, but this seems like a weird thing to be bothered by.

Also, NOTHING is perfect.

I disagree. Works of fiction that leave you speechless after reading/watching them are perfect, pictures and sculptures can also do that, even sky can. The idea of perfection just differs from man to man, ie. even the perfect ice-cream flavour won't be appreciated by a man who hates ice-cream.

But, to be honest I didn't really noticed the color issue. Perhaps if I read it as a whole, it would be more noticeable.

FlawedParadigm
2013-08-29, 04:52 PM
Hrm. Personally if we're offering artistic compliments, Rich's newfound powers of drawing in perspective have been impressive. See especially the ones around the time of the Malack/Durkon fight.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-29, 05:17 PM
I disagree. Works of fiction that leave you speechless after reading/watching them are perfect, pictures and sculptures can also do that, even sky can. The idea of perfection just differs from man to man, ie. even the perfect ice-cream flavour won't be appreciated by a man who hates ice-cream.

Sure, you can SAY things are perfect, but what you really mean is that you do not see any flaw in it. That doesn't mean the thing in question is actually perfect, though. Perfection is an unreachable ideal. For it to be anything else renders the term meaningless.

Ted The Bug
2013-08-29, 06:21 PM
From a design standpoint, these strips have contained objectively "better" uses of color than ever before in the series. Not just the outside desert ones, but the EoB palace and the pyramid as well. If you don't like the color beige that much, well, you're sort of outta luck.

But the good news for you is that we'll be out of the desert soon, and the color scheme will likely change alongside the location! So, maybe white, or gray (if they're also in a rocky place), or who knows what. Something to look forward to!

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-29, 07:37 PM
:belkar: Thank you! I am sick to death of the color blue tan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0467.html)

Boogastreehouse
2013-08-29, 08:25 PM
I think a little space here looks nice

:belkar: Thank you! I am sick to death of the color blue tan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0467.html)

Heh, I was just looking to see if someone had quoted this.

It only seems overwhelming because we're waiting for updates, I think. Looking back at the Azure City arc, the dominant color scheme seems to fit nicely—especially in print—but I remember waiting for updates at the time, and not even registering the background half the time because I'd been looking at blue updates for years.

Now that I have so much more perspective, I have to say that I love that each arc is so distinguished by the color palate.

I think a little space here looks nice

Blisstake
2013-08-30, 09:22 AM
Remember when everything was blue themed?

I think I prefer tan a bit mroe :smallsmile:

MartectX
2013-08-30, 11:01 AM
Remember when everything was blue themed?

I think I prefer tan a bit mroe :smallsmile:
Definitely. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14871918&postcount=106)

littlebum2002
2013-08-30, 11:37 AM
I agree with the above. The comic has really increased in quality since the art upgrade that they alluded to in-strip, but I do feel that recently he has been putting in some extra effort. Look at the explosion strip, which was just there for a gag, but all those chucks must have been a pain to draw. I also think the army has been very well drawn.

And yes, my comment on the color tan was a bit of a joke, and a bit of a reference to Belkar's similar comment on blue. But it's also the truth, mainly because I want to see wherever they end up going next.

martianmister
2013-08-30, 02:02 PM
I personally prefer blue or green to tan.

Ted The Bug
2013-08-30, 05:42 PM
I like both blue and tan. Green, not too much (at least for OOTS). I loved the purple and off-white palace insides, though.

A yellow/red hell-themed book is something I hope to see. Come on, final showdown with the IFCC!