PDA

View Full Version : Practiced Spellcaster and Spell-Gifted Trait

Yogibear41
2013-08-29, 10:55 AM
Had a question a few weeks ago similar to this one about wild-mage, just checking to see if this functions in a similar fashion.

So lets say I have a fighter1/wizard 5 and I have the Spellgifted trait for conjuration (giving me +1 caster level to conjuration spells and -1 caster level to all other schools) if I pick up practiced spell caster would I then have a caster level of 7 for conjuration spells and a caster level of 6 for non-conjuration spells, or would I just have a caster level of 6 for all spells?

Equinox
2013-08-29, 11:23 AM
Neither. You can apply the effects in the order you choose, but you can't get 7/6 either way.

If you choose apply Practiced Spellcaster first: Everything 6; then you apply Spellgifted, and get Conjuration 7, everything else 5.

If you choose to apply Spellgifted first: Conjuration 6, everything else 4; then you apply Practiced Spellcaster, and get everything 6.

Segev
2013-08-29, 11:38 AM
Going with the "application order choice" question...when does he "choose" to apply them?

If it's "at the time of casting," he could apply them in the order most advantageous considering whether the spell is Conjuration or not.

Zanfire
2013-08-29, 01:04 PM
It should be the order in which they are obtained, and remains in this order for the life of the character. Therefore, if Practiced Spellcaster is not your first level feat, the order is Spellgifted > Practiced Spellcaster. If they are both taken during character creation, iirc there is a specific order concerning when traits, flaws, feats, etc. are obtained, and that should be the order in which you apply them as well.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-29, 02:11 PM
Should be or not, it is moment to moment. You apply modifiers in the order that most benifits your character.

When casting conjuration spells, this is Practiced spellcaster -> spellgifted. When casting non-conjuration this is Spellgifted - Practiced spellcaster.

It's a little odd, but that is how the rules generally run.