PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Magus/Rogue/Arcane Trickster

Silverfang
2013-08-29, 10:58 AM
I'm just brainstorming right now, but this seems like it could be quite the impressive build. I don't have very much of the specifics set up yet but I'm looking for ideas. So far I'm thinking Magus 6/ Rogue 4/ Arcane Trickster 10. For magus, I'd probably go with the Spire Defender Archetype since I get the armor i need from Rogue, bonus feats are always nice, and in general, I can see spell recall as useful, but not game changing. Though what weapon I would choose is throwing me off, looking at Scimitar, rapier, dueling sword, and I'm unsure which exotic weapon fits best, probably swordbreaker dagger. Any thoughts?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-29, 11:02 AM
I would advice against Arcane Trickster, it has 1/2 BAB which is horrible if you want to Gish.

Silverfang
2013-08-29, 11:08 AM
What do you think would work better then, Magus 10/ Rogue 10? maybe duelist or shadow dancer? Shadow dancer would ease one of the requirements for Dervish Dance.

Dr. Yes
2013-08-29, 11:15 AM
Your main issue with that build is going to be hitting things. Your attack bonus already suffers from Spell Combat and reduced BAB progression; lowering it further with a 1/2 BAB prestige class will make it very difficult for your physical attacks to connect. You'll also be stuck with a pretty mediocre spell progression, just barely pulling out 6th level casting and CL16 at level 20 (though this is slightly better if you take Magus 7 instead of Rogue 4). As cool as the concept is, it would be incredibly frustrating to play as you become progressively less and less capable of affecting your enemies with either physical damage or spells.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-29, 11:18 AM
Magus 20 is perfectly viable, if you want to be sneaky take any of the traits that grant stealth as class skill and go to town, multiclassing Iin PF isn't good generally never mind when playing a spellcaster.

IIRC you can get Dervish dance online by level two with a straight Magus.

Silverfang
2013-08-29, 11:33 AM
Yeah, should have looked at BAB a bit more, that would drop it fairly significantly. Oh well, at least that got sorted out before I put too much time in it :smallsmile:

Zubrowka74
2013-08-29, 02:23 PM
The Magus guide suggests two levels of fighter (Lore Warden) to get additionnal combat feats. Also, you can get EWP as an half-elf with the Ancestral Weapon ARF. This, as well as any dipping, will slow down an already slow progression though. The class is already a fusion of two.