PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the "Geoff is related to Miron" theory

Nemeean_lion
2013-08-29, 11:05 AM
Can anyone please make a comparison between the gradients of Geoff's face color in this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0814.html) strip, and Miron's face color in the current strip?

Since these are both recent and they are both outside in the desert, if the two are one and the same person then there are chances that their color gradient is also the same. If not, then I guess it is more likely that Geoff is a simulacrum or something else that's related to Miron, but independent of him, and the prison life's did a number on him.

Also, I see the wrinkles beneath the eyes are still there so it wasn't just in that one picture we saw of him long ago.

EDIT: Hmm, in hindsight there's also a wooden leg, which technically he could have regenerated in the short time we've not seen him I think, but it's a bit of a stretch.

littlebum2002
2013-08-29, 11:11 AM
I don't have photoshop or anything, so I can't tell you how different they are, but there is a quick & dirty way to see if two colors are the same. Put one strip in Paint, use the eyedropper tool on the color in question, put the other strip in paint, and color using the first color next to the second color.

Doing this, I found that Geoff's skin is slightly lighter than Miron's.

Here:

http://oi41.tinypic.com/bdlk5.jpg

The "hair" around Miron's head is the color of Geoff's skin. Although, since Geoff has been suffering from malnutrition this entire time, if he was a "clone" or "simalacrum" or whatever of Miron, his skin getting lighter would not be unusual due to lack of nutrients. Look how pale Ian is.

Nemeean_lion
2013-08-29, 11:18 AM
Dang. I hope they're still related somehow tho. I have 100 crowns riding on this.

The Giant
2013-08-29, 11:21 AM
Can anyone please make a comparison between the gradients of Geoff's face color in this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0814.html) strip, and Miron's face color in the current strip?

Since these are both recent and they are both outside in the desert, if the two are one and the same person then there are chances that their color gradient is also the same. If not, then I guess it is more likely that Geoff is a simulacrum or something else that's related to Miron, but independent of him, and the prison life's did a number on him.

Actually, you know what's really more likely? That there are two bald old men with brown skin in the world who are not related.

Because there are.

Mando Knight
2013-08-29, 11:30 AM
Actually, you know what's really more likely? That there are two bald old men with brown skin in the world who are not related.

Because there are.

What? That's crazy! Next you'll be telling us that the hobgoblins aren't all first cousins or something...

:smalltongue:

Nemeean_lion
2013-08-29, 11:38 AM

Because there are.

... I liked the way I phrased it better.

NerdyKris
2013-08-29, 11:46 AM
C If not, then I guess it is more likely that Geoff is a simulacrum or something else that's related to Miron, but independent of him, and the prison life's did a number on him.

How on earth is that the more likely explanation?

Emulgator
2013-08-29, 11:50 AM
Does that comment officially makes simulacra theory invalid?

Nemeean_lion
2013-08-29, 12:02 PM
Well not technically since we haven't seen Miron without his scarf. It might make a lot of people want to withdraw their bets now tho (while only receiving half the crowns of course) since, let's face it, it was a crazy theory before, but it's even crazier to stick with it now.

Having said that my money stays where it is. I've put my money where my mouth was and there it will remain.

Excise
2013-08-29, 12:06 PM
I keep hearing theories about Geoff being evil or a traitor or something. Where do those come from?

Sunken Valley
2013-08-29, 12:11 PM

Because there are.

But two bald old men with brown skin:

From the western continent
From the same subplot
Introduced within 20 strips of each other
Both of whom have the same wrinkles under their eyes
One of whom wears a face mask
The other looking like he has something to hide
One of whom was evil chancellor at the time the other was imprisoned
One of whom the Giant refused to answer a question about the wife of (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12299486&postcount=18)
Either of whom the Giant could have changed the appearance of so they don't look so similar (one of them could have hair).

Still improbable but not ridiculous as Mr Burlew claims it is.

See for more details (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297939)

In fairness I was expecting this to be false.

Nemeean_lion
2013-08-29, 12:31 PM
I keep hearing theories about Geoff being evil or a traitor or something. Where do those come from?

Geoff is almost certainly a traitor, given how he's been reacting thus far, and given that Ivy was the one who called Ian to the western continent, at Bozzok's request, to be imprisoned.

We have a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298504) where we bet for these sort of theories, which incidentally , if you look at the ratio of proven theories/disproven theories, and the ratio of people who guessed/people who failed, shows us just how hard it is in reality to guess these things, and that the people shouting "Called it" in the main discussion thread are just a minority and not the norm.

Zmeoaice
2013-08-29, 12:45 PM
Geoff is almost certainly a traitor, given how he's been reacting thus far, and given that Ivy was the one who called Ian to the western continent, at Bozzok's request, to be imprisoned.

We have a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298504) where we bet for these sort of theories, which incidentally , if you look at the ratio of proven theories/disproven theories, and the ratio of people who guessed/people who failed, shows us just how hard it is in reality to guess these things, and that the people shouting "Called it" in the main discussion thread are just a minority and not the norm.

I don't think it means Geoff is a traitor. If Ivy's willing to imprison her brother, it can be reasonably expected that she'd be willing to imprison her husband.

NerdyKris
2013-08-29, 12:51 PM

Because someone has to be tipping off the guards every time, and Geoff seemed to be awfully keen on them staying in the prison. So odds are either Ivy or Geoff are the traitor, keeping Ian locked up, since the alternative is Bozzok killing him if he goes back.

Ian says he doesn't know how Tarquin keeps finding him. We've already seen him refuse to trust anyone but Geoff, even his own daughter. It's almost a dramatic certainty that his paranoia has him placing absolute trust in the one person who's actually betraying him.

ti'esar
2013-08-29, 01:37 PM
Gee whiz, what a surprise this is. I'm still flat-out uncomprehending of why people thought it was necessary to couple the fairly plausible theory that Geoff is a traitor with this much more far-fetched theory that two people who look a little similar in a stick figure comic are the same or related.

The only thing more ridiculous then the theory is the outrage in here that it's wrong.

Nilan8888
2013-08-29, 01:52 PM
Seriously? This was a thing?

littlebum2002
2013-08-29, 01:53 PM

From the western continent
From the same subplot
Both of whom have the same wrinkles under their eyes
One of whom wears a face mask
The other looking like he has something to hide
One of whom was evil chancellor at the time the other was imprisoned
One of whom the Giant refused to answer a question about the wife of (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12299486&postcount=18)
Either of whom the Giant could have changed the appearance of so they don't look so similar (one of them could have hair).

Still improbable but not ridiculous as Mr Burlew claims it is.

See for more details (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297939)

In fairness I was expecting this to be false.

I get where you're coming from here, but your post made me laugh. You sound like someone detailing some complex government conspiracy or something. Especially the part with "The Giant refused to answer a question..."

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-29, 03:46 PM
Don't listen to Burlew's lies! Geoff lives!

Kornaki
2013-08-29, 04:38 PM
Author strongly denies predicted hard to spot plot twist?

Plot twist confirmed :smalltongue:

littlebum2002
2013-08-29, 04:47 PM
Not to lead to any further speculation or anything, but...

In comic 758 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html), both Miron and the fighter guy in the back have the SAME skin tone! Maybe HE shaved his head and sideburns, and he's really Geoff...

Michaeler
2013-08-29, 04:58 PM
Skin colour is a really bad way to determine whether two people are related. Not that I'd expect the Giant to know this but neither would I expect him to think that it was a good one either. Even if they were twins, they have significantly different lifestyles and that's putting it mildly.

The other facts listed in this thread make for interesting reading though.

Nilan8888
2013-08-29, 05:00 PM
No, no: Miron and Fighter guy are actually the SAME MAN, moving very, very fast.

The truth IS out there.

SavageWombat
2013-08-29, 05:28 PM
Well, we still haven't heard from Eugene recently.

Maybe he's the one who made the Clone.

Sunken Valley
2013-08-29, 05:34 PM
I get where you're coming from here, but your post made me laugh. You sound like someone detailing some complex government conspiracy or something. Especially the part with "The Giant refused to answer a question..."

Somebody gets the satire.

DolGrenn
2013-08-29, 06:15 PM

Miron was in strip 131 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html) remember. He wrote the letter?

Yendor
2013-08-29, 07:12 PM
Because someone has to be tipping off the guards every time, and Geoff seemed to be awfully keen on them staying in the prison. So odds are either Ivy or Geoff are the traitor, keeping Ian locked up, since the alternative is Bozzok killing him if he goes back.

Ian says he doesn't know how Tarquin keeps finding him. We've already seen him refuse to trust anyone but Geoff, even his own daughter. It's almost a dramatic certainty that his paranoia has him placing absolute trust in the one person who's actually betraying him.

You'd have to be really dedicated to treachery to be locked up yourself in a hellhole for three years. I'm really not seeing what Geoff would get out of it. Ivy is presumably in a much better position, and having her betray Ian would really shake up his worldview.

NerdyKris
2013-08-29, 07:18 PM
You'd have to be really dedicated to treachery to be locked up yourself in a hellhole for three years. I'm really not seeing what Geoff would get out of it. Ivy is presumably in a much better position, and having her betray Ian would really shake up his worldview.

While the fact that Tarquin is receiving payment and aware of it means he might really just be watching him 24/7, I don't think Geoff is doing it because of treachery. He's doing it out of love for his brother. (inlaw?) He has two choices, keep Ian in prison and stay in there to help keep him safe, or let him go home so he can be killed. It's better to keep him alive in case things change than to send him to his death.

But I'm starting to rethink that theory now that we know Tarquin is aware of his identity.

ORione
2013-08-29, 07:22 PM
Guys, guys, aren't we forgetting a dark-skinned bald guy?

Clearly Roy is related to both Miron and Geoff.

Muenster Man
2013-08-29, 07:33 PM

No, Roy's secret relative was actually introduced in the last panel of 160 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0160.html). Sadly, their reunion was cut (wonked?) short (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0167.html).

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-29, 08:06 PM
So if bald dark-skinned men aren't always related, maybe Eugene isn't Roy's father.

The Extinguisher
2013-08-29, 08:15 PM
I know this theory is pretty far out there guys, but I think Elan and Tarquin might actually be related. Tarquin looks like an older Elan, doesn't he not? I think the idea might have some ground.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-29, 08:20 PM
I know this theory is pretty far out there guys, but I think Elan and Tarquin might actually be related. Tarquin looks like an older Elan, doesn't he not? I think the idea might have some ground.

The last few strips gave me the impression that he's Nale's father, not Elan's. :confused:

The Extinguisher
2013-08-29, 08:23 PM
The last few strips gave me the impression that he's Nale's father, not Elan's. :confused:

Well maybe Nale and Elan are related too?
Okay, okay, no. Now it's just getting contrived.

Oh well, it was an interesting thought.

Kornaki
2013-08-29, 10:22 PM
Wouldn't the ultimate plot twist be Elan finding out he's not actually related to Nale and Tarquin, but Roy is his step-brother or something? And then the comic zooms out and they're all still caught in Girard's illusion :smalltongue:

But seriously, the only confirmation we have that Nale and Tarquin are related to Elan is that they both told him, and in all cases telling him was an integral part in some devious plot (for Nale, the evil opposite theme, and for Tarquin his die a legend strategy). Maybe they've just been using him the whole time

martianmister
2013-08-30, 10:33 AM
Well maybe Nale and Elan are related too?

Guys, remember: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar! :smallannoyed:

ORione
2013-08-30, 12:05 PM
Wouldn't the ultimate plot twist be Elan finding out he's not actually related to Nale and Tarquin, but Roy is his step-brother or something? And then the comic zooms out and they're all still caught in Girard's illusion :smalltongue:

But seriously, the only confirmation we have that Nale and Tarquin are related to Elan is that they both told him, and in all cases telling him was an integral part in some devious plot (for Nale, the evil opposite theme, and for Tarquin his die a legend strategy). Maybe they've just been using him the whole time

It's hard to tell with stick figures, but everyone says that Elan and Nale look identical. All Nale had to do to disguise himself as Elan was shave his beard and put on Elan's clothes. And in the arena, Roy and Belkar noticed the resemblance between Tarquin and Elan.

NerdyKris
2013-08-30, 12:11 PM
It's hard to tell with stick figures, but everyone says that Elan and Nale look identical. All Nale had to do to disguise himself as Elan was shave his beard and put on Elan's clothes. And in the arena, Roy and Belkar noticed the resemblance between Tarquin and Elan.

It's getting hard to tell who in this thread is getting the joke and who isn't...

XanKrieger
2013-08-30, 12:42 PM
It's getting hard to tell who in this thread is getting the joke and who isn't...

clearly the best part about this thread

Zmeoaice
2013-08-30, 03:16 PM
Wouldn't the ultimate plot twist be Elan finding out he's not actually related to Nale and Tarquin, but Roy is his step-brother or something? And then the comic zooms out and they're all still caught in Girard's Dorukan's illusion :smalltongue:

There, fixed for you :smallbiggrin:.

Kornaki
2013-08-30, 03:25 PM
There, fixed for you :smallbiggrin:.

Oops I forgot about that, thanks

brionl
2013-08-30, 07:10 PM

That's because they are both Clones of Eugene. Duh.

littlebum2002
2013-08-30, 08:46 PM
Somebody gets the satire.

I totally didn't get the satire! I'm sure you've heard of Poe's law. As absurd of a claim that you make on the internet, somebody somewhere will agree with it. Therefore, it's impossible to tell if someone's being sarcastic or not, regardless of how abducted they sound.

But yes, that post was very clever.

DolGrenn
2013-08-30, 10:51 PM
And then the comic zooms out and they're all still caught in Girard's illusion :smalltongue:

And then the Giant wakes up and decides to write a webcomic.

Forikroder
2013-08-30, 11:26 PM
seriously? this is seriously a theory?

Domino Quartz
2013-08-30, 11:43 PM
seriously? this is seriously a theory?

No. It is not.

ti'esar
2013-08-31, 03:07 AM

Because there are.

It depresses me beyond belief that I have to ask this, but - for the sake of certain threads currently plagued with an excess of literalists - can you please confirm that this is, in fact, a statement that Geoff and Miron are not related and not merely a generically obvious fact?

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-31, 11:50 AM
Seriously? This was a thing?

Yes, because this is the Internet.

pendell
2013-09-01, 09:05 AM
It depresses me beyond belief that I have to ask this, but - for the sake of certain threads currently plagued with an excess of literalists - can you please confirm that this is, in fact, a statement that Geoff and Miron are not related and not merely a generically obvious fact?

I think the Giant is saying that no, the two are not related, and it's a waste of time to read too much into similarities with stick figure art.

Nor would the theory make sense. It's been established that the six members of TT split up into pairs to manipulate the Empires of Blood, Sweat, and Tears respectively. How to reconcile that with being stuck in a dungeon for three years as minder for a single prisoner?

Even if it were possible to do this with some time-travelling magic, is it really the best use of magical energy and Miron's time?

I don't think so.

ETA: In addition, if Ian Starshine were so important to TT to warrant the full time attention of one of their band, on the same level as that devoted to a major empire, Tarquin would certainly know him by face and name. He wouldn't have to pull it up from records.

I will not entertain this as a serious theory absent supporting evidence in comic beyond an apparent superficial resemblance.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kornaki
2013-09-01, 10:11 AM
ETA: In addition, if Ian Starshine were so important to TT to warrant the full time attention of one of their band, on the same level as that devoted to a major empire, Tarquin would certainly know him by face and name. He wouldn't have to pull it up from records.

Actually this part does make sense. Ian's facial hair is decidedly more unruly, and all his hair changed from red to white which would make it harder to recognize him. Add in the facial wrinkles and it might be hard to tell he's the same person.

In fact an angle that I don't think has been considered is that all this hubaloo in the comic is to distract his own team members from his failure to keep Ian under lock and key. He's pretending this is all part of his plan but he's simply trying to keep the rest of team tarquin from realizing how badly he slipped up