PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with a trick.

Metahuman1
2013-08-29, 11:26 AM
I'm trying to tack the poison healer feat into a drunken master build (I've got the feats cause I'm planning to visit the frog gods fane a couple of times and get feats to retrain to meet the requirements. Only possible problem is not having flurry in the build, but I'm sure a reasonable DM will allow an AFC of flurry to suffice the entry requirement. ). The idea being every round I slug back a drink or two, get the Strength and Con boosts, chuck a saving throw, get healed for my con Mod a time or two, use that soulmeld form Incarnum to to keep form sucking up the stat penalties, and start hitting stuff.

I'm encountering two problems at the moment however.

1: Save penalties. Rules on drinking say once every hour you get a drink at no penalty to the save, but after that, every drink incurs a growing penalty to the save. -1 for the second drink, -2 for the third, -3 for the fourth, so on. I need a way to either stop that from happening all together, or at least keep it capped at a reasonable level.

And yes, I will have a high focus on Con mod in the build and yes, I will have the steadfast determination feat. Thus, no danger of failing on a 1. I just gotta get that penalty taken care of for longer fights, and since part of the builds objective is stamina, that may well come up.

2: The other problem, is action economy. I need a way to make chugging this stuff a swift action, or even better a free action. I'm gonna only take 2 levels of Drunken Master PrC to get drink like a demon and stagger, but that only get's it down to a move action. Any ideas?

Let's assume no Tome of Battle just cause this is kinda a build I want to be able to run in a none tome of battle enabled game if I had too. Dragon mag is acceptable but not my first choice if other stuff is there. Same with setting specific and third party.

Thanks!

Segev
2013-08-29, 11:43 AM
A level of Wilder and Synchronicity-Linked Synchronicity shenanigans might be a way to go. While highly abusable, if you self-control yourself to only make your readied action be "take a drink," it might just work out for you.

Chronos
2013-08-29, 11:52 AM
This is the first time I've heard anyone suggest using self-control to limit oneself to only being an alcoholic.

Darrin
2013-08-29, 12:06 PM
1: Save penalties. Rules on drinking say once every hour you get a drink at no penalty to the save, but after that, every drink incurs a growing penalty to the save. -1 for the second drink, -2 for the third, -3 for the fourth, so on. I need a way to either stop that from happening all together, or at least keep it capped at a reasonable level.

Hmm... Necropolitan? Iron Heart Surge? Maybe Cumbrous Fortitude + ... something that grants immunity to staggered?

Or, if alcohol is considered a poison... Snakeblood Tooth (1350 GP, MIC). Hmm. I thought there was a feat that could get you immunity to poison, but I'm having trouble finding it.

Filth Eater (Sharn: City of Towers) gives a +4 bonus vs. ingested poisons.

I know Warforged can drink, but can they get drunk?

2: The other problem, is action economy. I need a way to make chugging this stuff a swift action, or even better a free action. I'm gonna only take 2 levels of Drunken Master PrC to get drink like a demon and stagger, but that only get's it down to a move action. Any ideas?

Ardent 2 gets you hustle. Other than that... best I can come up with is spike a potion with alcohol and use the Delay Potion feat (Complete Mage).

Metahuman1
2013-08-29, 12:45 PM
Wilder's, a maybe, that sounds like it could eat quite a few levels, and might be above the cheese tolerance of the group(s) I might run this with. I'll put it on back burner though.

What page is Snakeblood Tooth on?

Immunity, unfortunately, doesn't help me cause that would stop me having to make the save which means Poison Healer doesn't help, and I might also loose out on my Boosts to stats from using it with Drink like a Demon.

What is Cumbrous Fortitude, and were can I find it? And does anyone know a trick to getting immunity to being staggered?

Hustle, could work, but wouldn't drinking inhibit the mental functions for using Psionics? (Another reason I'd like not to use it is I might be told "Yeah, Psionics, no fly in this game.)

Iron Heart sure works I guess in a tome of battle enabled game, but action economy + need a way to spam it becomes a problem.

Neapolitan might open a can of worms but if all else fails I suppose.

Chronos
2013-08-29, 01:33 PM
Other than that... best I can come up with is spike a potion with alcohol and use the Delay Potion feat (Complete Mage).
Can't Drunken Masters treat alcohol as a potion?

Though delaying the save penalty probably also means delaying the benefit, too.

Metahuman1
2013-08-29, 04:18 PM
At 8th level. I honestly wasn't looking to go that far into the PrC. And even then it requires additional use of action economy to do so. I might be mis-remembering but I think it also says that you can't do it more then a certain number of times in a time period.

And again, I'm ok with making the save. I'm even ok with having a penalty too it, I just want to slow it down or alternatively, keep it from going above a certain point.

And the booze in and of itself doesn't even make me a better fighter for the first five levels or so, just making the save on the stuff that's treated as poison so I can keep recovering hit points in noticeable numbers during combat while still fighting.