PDA

View Full Version : (Base Class) Street Magician

Leather_Book_Wizard
2006-12-19, 08:02 PM
Street magicians blur the line between trickery and true magic. A street magician could mezmerize you with a spell with one hand ,and pick your pocket with the other,without missing a beat. This combination is what make a street magician a fore to be reckoned with.
Adventures: Street magicians adventure out of need to prove themselves or for want of loot. Many adventure to prove they are more than common street rats. Characteristics: A street magician's strenght is in both his spells and theivery. Street Magicians deal mostly with Illusion,Enchantment, and Divination Spells.
Alignment: A street magician usually has a larcenous streak, stemming from years of pick-pocketing hapless audience members. Therefore,they cannot be lawful.
Religion: Most street magicians favor Boccob,but some revere Olidammara or Garl Glittergold.
Background: Street magicians are usually those who started out performing magic tricks and simultaneously stealing from the crowd,who then discovered their potential for arcane magic could help them at this.
Races: Most are humans or halfings,but all races have a potential for street magicians.
Other classes: Street magicians relate well to rogues,bards,and sorcerers. Clerics can cramp a street magicians style a bit, but they get along passably. A street magician may be looked down upon by wizards, considered a "Street Rat".
Game Rule Information:
Abilities: Charisma determines the power of a street magician's spells. Dexterity governs their theivery abilities.
Alignment: Cannot be lawful.
Hit Die: d6
BAB: Poor
Fort Save: Poor
Ref Save: Good
Will Save: Good
Class Skills:
The street magician's class skills(and the key ability for each skill) are:
Bluff(CHA),Concentration(CON),Craft(INT),Knowledge (arcana)(INT),Profession(WIS),
Spellcrat(INT),Escape Artist(DEX),Sleight of Hand(DEX),Perform,(CHA),Diplomacy(CHA),Appraise (INT),and Forgery(INT)
Skill points at first level:(4+INT modifier)x4
Skill points at each additional level:4+INT modifier
Class Features:
The following are class features of the street magician:
Armor and Weapon Proficiency: The street magician is proficient with all simple weapons plus the rapier, shortbow, and short sword.They are proficient with all light armor.
Spells: The street magician can spontaneously cast spells from a short, apecialized list.A street magician begins paly knowing all 0-level spells from the list and 4 1st-level spells of your choice. At every second level, he can add 1 additional spell to his list.
STREET MAGICIAN SPELL LIST:
0-level spells: Detect Magic; Read Magic; Daze; Ghost Sound; Mage Hand; Prestidigitation.
1st-level spells: Charm Person; Hypnotism; Sleep; Grease ; Comprehend Languages; True Strike; Disguise Self; Silent Image; Ventriloquism; Animate Rope ; Erase; Enlarge Person; Feather fall.
2nd-level spells: Detect thoughts ;Locate Object; Daze Monster ; Touch of Idiocy ;Blur; Hypnotic Pattern ;Invisibility ; Minor Image ; Mirror Image ; Alter Self ; Cat's Grace ; Fox's Cunning; Levitate; Pyrotechnics ; Rope Trick ; Spider Climb
3rd level spells : Dispel Magic ; Explosive Runes;Stinking Cloud;Tongues; Deep Slumber;Hold person; Suggestion; Displacement; Invisibility Sphere;Major Image; Flame Arrow; Fly; Shrink Item; Water Breathing
4th level spells : Locate Creature ; Charm Monster;Confusion;Crushing Dispair; Hallucinatory Terrain;Illusory Wall;Phantasmal Killer;Enlarge Person,mass;Polymorph;Stone Shape
5th level spells:Dismissal; Rary's Telepathic Bond ; Dominate Person; Feeblemind ; Mind Fog ; Hold Monster ; Dream; False Vision ; Mirage Arcana ; Persistent Image ;Nightmare ;Seeming ; Baleful Polymorph; Telekinesis.
6th level spells: Dispel Magic,Greater; Guards and Wards ; Analyze Dweomer; True Seeing ; Geas/Quest ; Suggestion,mass ; Mislead; Permanent Image; Shadow walk; Cat's Grace,mass;Fox's Cunnong,mass;Control Water; Disentegrate; Flesh to Stone; Stone to Flesh.
7th Level Spells: Banishment ; Vision ; Hold Person,mass;Insanity; Power Word BLind ; Invisibility,Mass; Project Image ; Shadow simulacrum ; Control Weather ; Ethereal Jaunt ; Reverse Gravity ; Statue
8th Level Spells: Mind Blank; Maze; Discern Location ; Moment of Prescience ; Antipathy; Binding; Charm Monster,mass ; Demand ; Otto's Irresistible Dance ; Power Word Stun ; Scintallating Pattern ; Screen; Iron Body: Polymorph any object; Temporal Stasis
9th level spells: Foresight; Dominate Monster; Hold Monster,mass; Power Word Kill;Shades;Weird;Etherealness ; Shapechange; Timestop

Spells Per Day
Level 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1st 5 3
2nd 6 4
3rd 6 5
4th 6 6 3
5th 6 6 4
6th 6 6 5 3
7th 6 6 6 4
8th 6 6 6 5 3
9th 6 6 6 6 4
10th 6 6 6 6 5 3
11th 6 6 6 6 6 4
12th 6 6 6 6 6 5 3
13th 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
14th 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3
15th 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
16th 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
17th 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
18th 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3
19th 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
20th 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6

Unlimited Prestidigitation(Sp): Starting at first level, a street magician may cast prestidigitation an unlimited number of times per day.It does not count toward his daily spell limit.

Perceptive Eye(Ex): A first level street magician knows much about illusions of all kinds.He gains a +4 bonus on all saves to disbelieve an illusion.

Smoke and Mirrors (ex): The Street Magician has learned to apply mundane tricks to make his illusions more realistic. By making a Sleight of Hand Check (DC 10+Level of Spell being cast) the Street Magician is capable of subtly using alchemical substances (like smoke sticks and thunderstones) to increase the difficult to disbelieve illusions spells he casts. The DC to disbelieve the illusion is increased by +1 for every 5 points the Street Magician succeeded over the DC of the Sleight of Hand check made to use this ability.

Fashion replica(EX): At 3rd level, a street magician gains the ability to fashion a mundane replica of any object he has seen. The replica has a hardness 3 and 1d6 hitpoints.The replica does not perform any function the original item did and cannot be used as a weapon.

Mimick Magicks(Sp): At 4th level, a street magician learns how to mundanely mimick arcane spells. The spells a 4th level street magician can mimick are;
Acid arrow: an inflated animal bladder(4gp), two acid flasks (20 gp), pour acid into bladder and throw

Acid fog: fire, 2 acid flasks/level (20 gp/level), put the acid flasks (still closed) into the fire.

Fireball: Materials Needed: A ball of rags, soaked in oil(cost:1sp);flint and steel(cost:1gp)
This effect deals 1d6 of fire damage per caster level(Maximun 5d6)

Lightning Bolt:Materials Needed: an inflated animal bladder(4gp) and a piece of cloth(Icp); a conductor rod.(6gp)
This effect deals 1d6 points of electricty damage per caster level(Maximum 5d6)
All spells mimicked in this way have a -5 penalty on the total damage rolled.

Spells mimicked in this manner are treated as the spells they are mimicking for the purposes of saves, but are not affected by Spell Resistence,Antimagic Fields, or subject to Counterspelling.Spells can be mimicked 5 times per day plus the street magician's DEX modifier.

Dazzling Fireworks(Ex):A 7th level street magician can cast dazzling fireworks 3 times per day+Cha modifier. A firework display goes of in a designated 20ft square area. All creatures within are dazzled for 1d6 rounds.

Collapse Blade(Sp): At 10th level, a street magician can cast a spell on an enemy's piercing weapon to make it collapse when used to attack. Subject takes a minus 5+CHA modifer penalty on attack rolls. The effect lasts for 1d6 rounds.This ability can be used 3+CHA modifier times per day.

Game of Chance(Su):Once per day,a 14th level street magician may play a game of chance with any creature with Intellegince above animal. Targeted creature must succeed on a Will save (DC 10+CHA modifier) or be forced to play a game of chance. The street magician hides a pea(Or other small object) under one of 3 shells and mixes them up. The creature must find the pea by making an INT check (DC 15+DEX modifer)or take 2d8 points of damage.

Performance of Ultimate Illusion(Su): The ultimate ability of a street magician.Once per day, a 20th level street magician can make a Perform check ( DC 10) and weave a spectacular Illusion across a 100ft square area. All creatures with must make a Will save( DC 15+CHA modifier) or become entranced by the effect.THe street magician can choose one of 2 effects.
1. Horrendous Nightmare :All creatures that fail their saves believe they are trapped in a dark land filled with horrors. They act as though under the effects of a fear spell and if attacked by the phantasmal horrors,suffer 2d6 points of damage.
2.Pleasant Dream : All creatures who fail their saves believe they are surrounded by pleasant things and are fascinated for the duration of the effect. Effected creatures take a -5+CHA modifier penalty on all Wisdom based checks.
Each affect lasts for 1d6 rouns per caster level(Maximum 10d6)

Leather_Book_Wizard
2006-12-19, 08:09 PM
Any comments?

Triaxx
2006-12-19, 08:33 PM
I might have missed something, but I'm not seeing much in the way of theiving skills.

That said, I like it, though by the time you hit 20th level, you can push the DC of the 'Ultimate Illusion' quite a bit, with Smoke and Mirrors.

Hefty Lefty
2006-12-19, 09:03 PM
This sounds like a good idea, but I just have one comment. Game of chance sounds fun, but how would it really be carried out? "Hey friend, where's the pea?" *Picks the wrong shell* "Nope, you lose." *Explosion!!!!* But seriously, what happens if the enemy wins, does the street magician have to pay him or something? Overall, great concept.

Rama_Lei
2006-12-19, 09:44 PM
I like it, but I'd change a few things. Give them a few more skill points. also, osme of those spells are a bit too flashy for a street magician. The power words, disintegrate, all don't really go with the flavor.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2006-12-19, 10:04 PM
I'm glad you all like it! Yeah, I probably should add some more Skill Points.

ChaosStorm
2006-12-20, 12:17 AM
I like this concept, so i'm going to go into Extreme Analyze Mode.
EAM activated.... loading....
Abilities: Makes sense, but i think a Street Magician should also have something with their intelligence. I mean, they're using their smarts to create the illusion, their personality to pull it off, and then their nimble nature to get something out of it.
Alignment, Hit Dice, BAB, Saves: All good, make sense.
Skills: Consider Gather Information or Knowledge (local), and maybe Hide. They'd need a fast get away after making some steals and getting away from authority.
Skill Points: I think it needs raised to 6.
Armor and Weapons: Seems good, but with the poor attack bonus and the spell disruption from wearing Armor, I'm not reallly sure why any of them would want even Light Armor. They don't seem like actual combat people. So perhaps you should consider making the selection smaller.
Spells: Here's where it really starts to get a little murky. What is this class? I personally don't see a balance between pilfering and spell casting, which is what I imagine this class should be going towards. The way spells are known is a bit confusing, and I think you'd end up with a very small list of spells known. I'd recomend just modeling it after the Sorcerer.
Spell List: I could go through each one and see spells to add, I just don't really know your vision of this class. Just from starting, Obscuring Mists jumps straight to mind. If you want I could go through and say at each level what I see added to a flashy caster spell list.
I also agree with Rama Lei about removing the Power Words.
Unlimited Prestidigitation(Sp): I love it. It totally fits. I could see you starting off that it not be unlimited and slowly raising the ability to use this, but I'm not sure Prestidigitation does enough to being worried about it's constant use.
Perceptive Eye(Ex): I think this should be introduced a little later or slowly increased over time.
Smoke and Mirrors (ex): When does she learn this? It's interesting, I'm not really sure if it's unbalanced or not. I know I like it.
Fashion replica(EX): You may want to mention costs and time. Perhaps this is tied to a craft ability? Of course then the Street Magician would have to have Concentrate, Sleight of Hand, and Craft as skills to be effective. It's a very skill based class, I think.
Mimick Magicks(Sp): I like it, but it's unbalance. Acid Fog is a 6th level spell that you could not cast until level 12. You've reduced it's ability to do damage, but Acid Fog also impedes movement and can't be cleared away without a strong wind. Melf's Acid Arrow does not splash, has a greater range than normal weapons allow, and would probably almost never do damage with 2d4-5 being the requirement for damage. I don't think lowering the damage makes up for all of the other components of the spells. You've also given them the ability to cast these spells a whole bunch of times more than normal. There's a reason it's Magic and not Mundane. I love the idea, but it needs work.

It should be that every few levels they get a new Trick that mimics a sort spell in some regards, but they're limited on it's execution.
Dazzling Fireworks(Ex):I don't think it should be 3 times per day + Cha modifier. Maybe only 1+ Cha. Is this a spell, and if so, where is it from? I'm trying to understand the mechanics behind it.
Collapse Blade(Sp): Once again, I think you can use this ability too many times per day. I like all of these ideas, it's just that they're new concepts that I don't really have a lot to base them off of. I'm a little new at this homebrew stuff myself.
Game of Chance(Su):Yeah, this is weird. I'm with Hefty. How in the world does it deal damage, and what are the penalties for the Street Magician? Also, the Will DC check seems pretty low. A great Street magician who boosts his/her initial 18 Cha every time will have Cha of 21 at 14th level. Let's even say s/he has a further boost by magical items to 25. That's a DC of 17. A 14th Level character with poor will save would have a +4 on saves. A good save would have +9. So an average minded creature facing a really good Street Magician would have a little better than 50/50 chance of not being influenced. For a really good Street Magician that sucks. If the save was 10+1/2 class level then we would excitingly enough ended up with DC of 17 again.
In the end the difficultly really depends on what the effect of playing the game is. Damage just seems so random.
Performance of Ultimate Illusion(Su): So here's another Skill that the Street Musician will want to have really high. Because by 20th level they would have more than 10 ranks in Perform and only need to roll the die to see if they get a 1 or 20. So the DC is too low. i really think you should just turn this into a spell. It would make the details a lot easier to handle.