PDA

View Full Version : Useful Software/Apps related to RPGs

XnOs
2013-08-29, 12:30 PM
Hey Playground!

I Have once again decided to kick it back, and engage in a friendly conversation with the Giants of the playground.

I'd like to discuss different software/apps that can be helpful while playing/preparing/doing anything RPG related.

I have gotten myself a tablet [Ipad 4] and I have stumbled upon a few apps that i find helpful.

I have a Die Roller. This works well, and is efficient. but it is not QUITE the same as real dies, so i never really use this.

I found myself a Spellbook app! This app is great. I can easily look up spells, and thereby eliminating some of the waste time that this normally takes up. The problem here is, that the app does not have all spells in 3.5.

Calculator - Useful for so many reasons.

Last but not least, i have a PDF reader, and i have the core books right there, at my disposal. It is SO much easier, than carrying the heavy books to every session.

Do you guys use any software to help the progress in DnD? :-)

Kind Regards - XnOs.

Bubzors
2013-08-29, 12:49 PM
Hero forge is a great tool for creating characters. It's basically a complicated excel spreadsheet that allows you to build a character (items, class, feats, skills, etc) and then auto fills out a character sheet you can print out

XnOs
2013-08-29, 12:51 PM
Sounds cool! :-)

Does is beat the good old feel of paper and pen? :-)

Chronos
2013-08-29, 01:31 PM
In my experience, Heroforge is paper and pen: You make up the character sheet on your computer, then print it out and take it to the game, where you note changes with a pencil.

That said, it doesn't quite work with NeoOffice, so I still just do mine in TextEdit.

XnOs
2013-08-29, 02:05 PM
Okay, I'll try that out some time! :-)

Do you use a software for looking up spells?

GilesTheCleric
2013-08-29, 02:09 PM
Okay, I'll try that out some time! :-)

Do you use a software for looking up spells?

I like my spreadsheets - all character levels, abilities, and spells available and searcheable. If you're a cleric and you're looking for "all 3.5 spells", send me a PM. Otherwise, you could probably compile your own list from the resources available online - crystal keep, imarvin, dndtools, and the wizards site. If you're clever with crawling websites, you could probably even write a script to do it for you.

I also use NeoOffice (OpenOffice for mac is similar, but not as good imo). I made my own sheets that include spaces for temporary bonuses, as well as spaces for each bonus type for everything. No penciling required =)

You might see if Crystal Ball (a dice-rolling program) is available for the ipad. It's pretty decent, and there's a free version (crystal ball lite). Or you could ask your DM if you can be lazy and just take average for every damage roll like I do.