PDA

View Full Version : Nice Foreshadowing.

Cuthalion
2013-08-29, 02:00 PM
Check this out (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html). I was reading some earlier strips, and... wow. Impressive, Giant.

Giggling Ghast
2013-08-29, 02:04 PM
:haley: You're more our people than they are. Plus, you're my boyfriend, which is like family.

Yes, half of that dialogue is now really amusing in hindsight. :)

Mad Humanist
2013-08-29, 03:50 PM
Check this out (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html). I was reading some earlier strips, and... wow. Impressive, Giant.

Well originally it referred back to Nale framing Elan for mass murder in Cliffport. So if it is foreshadowing it is doing double duty.

Kornaki
2013-08-29, 03:52 PM
Also there is extreme irony in that Ian got along swimmingly with Roy the law and orderly type, and hated Belkar and wanted Elan's throat slit as soon as he saw him

Mad Humanist
2013-08-29, 04:00 PM
Also there is extreme irony in that Ian got along swimmingly with Roy the law and orderly type, and hated Belkar and wanted Elan's throat slit as soon as he saw him

I would say a bigger irony is that Ian thought Haley had been manipulated to get at him, whereas in fact he has been framed to get at her.

factotum
2013-08-29, 05:09 PM

I don't see any irony there at all--Elan is the living spit of his father, Tarquin, who Ian hates for good reasons; as for Belkar, I see no reason why a presumably non-Evil rogue would "get on" with a murderous evil halfling!

ORione
2013-08-29, 05:14 PM
I don't see any irony there at all--Elan is the living spit of his father, Tarquin, who Ian hates for good reasons; as for Belkar, I see no reason why a presumably non-Evil rogue would "get on" with a murderous evil halfling!

It's ironic because Haley assumed Ian would get along with Elan, but not with Roy. Which is the opposite of how it turned out.

Cuthalion
2013-08-29, 05:31 PM
Well originally it referred back to Nale framing Elan for mass murder in Cliffport. So if it is foreshadowing it is doing double duty.

No, but he's saying that nobody in Haley's family has gotten framed for murder. It's awesome. :smallsmile:

Kornaki
2013-08-29, 05:44 PM
No, but he's saying that nobody in Haley's family has gotten framed for murder. It's awesome. :smallsmile:

Actually he's saying nobody in Haley's family frames people for murder, which continues to be true (actually was never true according to Haley, but ignoring that). Elan's family is just looking worse and worse by the minute

tassaron
2013-08-31, 08:09 AM
It's not much in the way of foreshadowing, really. It re-established Ian's attitude about family for this arc (that was established before this book too, right?) but that's about it. Haley's assessment of her dad is probably right, she just couldn't have foreseen that Ian would have a specific reason to mistrust Elan.

And this is slightly off-topic, but I've always really liked Elan's cheerfully insightful response to Haley in the second panel.