PDA

View Full Version : PC class similar to Expert?

Galvin
2013-08-29, 02:27 PM
Hi GITP

Is there a class for PCs that is essentially like the NPC expert class? I want to build a mundane character along the lines of an Expert, though is still suitable for a PC.

DR27
2013-08-29, 02:29 PM
More info needed. Is it that you want to be a skill monkey with access to all skills? Factorum does that. Without info on the character concept that you want, that's probably all the help you can hope for.

Ashtagon
2013-08-29, 02:34 PM
There's the "master" class in one of the 3.x Dragonlance books. Other than that, nothing I know of.

Lanson
2013-08-29, 02:45 PM
Try Factotum, I can't remember what book it's in, but it's ridiculous when it comes to using skills. It has all skills as class skills, and some huge synergies with it's class features to improve skills even more, it also gains spells

Edit: I did not see you wanted mundane till I hit post. Rogue should suit your needs, has huge skill list, tons of skill points

Telonius
2013-08-29, 02:47 PM
All "Expert" says to me is that he can pick the ten most useful skills as class skills. There are a few things that could do something like that. Factotum is my first thought. The Exemplar PrC from Complete Adventurer will work, too. Able Learner (a human-only feat from Races of Destiny) can help with giving you more options on where to put skill points. Rogue has the highest skill points per level.

DR27
2013-08-29, 02:48 PM
Factorum (Dungeonscape) is mostly mundane. Just pick spells that boost your skills or something - won't seem supernatural at all, fluff it as extra inspiration.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-29, 03:26 PM
The Expert generic Class (Unearthed Arcana) could work.

Roguenewb
2013-08-29, 03:28 PM
Factotum, ignore the arcane and divine bits. They are powerful, yes, but the rest of the time it's all skill tricks, all the time.

Larkas
2013-08-29, 04:30 PM
Broadly, Factotum > Savant > Rogue > Expert. Bardic Knack Bard also fits in there somewhere. Based on what you're saying, though, you really want to check the Savant out. Dragon Compendium, FYI.

Diovid
2013-08-29, 05:14 PM
I was going to say Factotum, Generic Expert (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#expert), Master and Exemplar but I see those have already been mentioned.

I'll just add Human Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon) and the Uncanny Trickster (Complete Scoundrel).

Fax Celestis
2013-08-29, 05:16 PM
You could just take the Expert NPC class. It's not terrible in the right hands, and you could walk it into Exemplar.

Gavinfoxx
2013-08-29, 06:31 PM
Master, Savant, and Factotum are the big ones, generally.

Rubik
2013-08-29, 07:43 PM
Factorum does that.No it doesn't.

Factotum does, though.

Factorum (Dungeonscape) is mostly mundane. Nope. Seriously, why does half of everyone get this wrong?

Xuldarinar
2013-08-29, 07:51 PM
No it doesn't.

Factotum does, though.

Nope. Seriously, why does half of everyone get this wrong?

Because: Factor, Factory, Factorum

Factotum isn't as easy to remember, the 1 letter difference makes it easier due to similarity to other words in more common usage.

Edit: also, the 'T' and the 'R' are right next to each other. one person makes a mistake, it sounds right, it starts being called that.

Mystral
2013-08-29, 07:54 PM
The classic skillmonkey would be rogue, or perhaps bard, according to your interests. Any class that has a high number of class skills and skills available could be potentially usefull to you. Of course, factotum would be a possibility.

The question is, would you like to be a master of a few skills, or a jack of all trades? Exemplar would be good if you want to master a few skills. Factotum would be good for a broader approach.

Chronos
2013-08-29, 07:55 PM
In case anyone's wondering, the word "factotum" means "do everything". The root "totum" leads to the English word "total". A "factorum", by contrast, would presumably "do a bagel".

Flickerdart
2013-08-29, 07:56 PM
Level 1 of Human Paragon is like mini-Expert. Pick any skill to be a class skill for everything forever.

Alex12
2013-08-29, 07:59 PM
In case anyone's wondering, the word "factotum" means "do everything". The root "totum" leads to the English word "total". A "factorum", by contrast, would presumably "do a bagel".

Now I want to see a bagel-based factorum class.

Telonius
2013-08-29, 08:02 PM
Now I want to see a bagel-based factorum class.

Open Lox is a class skill.

Psyren
2013-08-29, 08:04 PM

Thread over, thanks for playing.

Larkas
2013-08-29, 08:05 PM

DAMN YOU, CHRONOS, NOW I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!! AND I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF AN IMPORTANT CLASS!!! DAMN YOU!!

... Now that I think about it, may I sig this?

Edit:

And this?

Chronos
2013-08-29, 08:35 PM
Permission granted. And I hope Telonius says yes, too, because that was just the perfect follow-up.

Galvin
2013-08-29, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all your input guys!

KoboldCleric
2013-08-29, 09:03 PM
Ardent Dilettante is a PrC from the Planar handbook that might fit the bill. 6+int/level, all skills as class skills. It does want 1st level arcane casting at 4 and 1st level divine casting at 7 though, so not entirely mundane.

Larkas
2013-08-29, 09:13 PM
Permission granted. And I hope Telonius says yes, too, because that was just the perfect follow-up.

Thanks! And wasn't it? Perfect timing! :smallbiggrin:

Spuddles
2013-08-29, 09:26 PM
Thread over, thanks for playing.

game over (http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/MFW+the+gif+loops+perfectly_0d0ef5_4635691.gif)

Telonius
2013-08-30, 08:21 AM
DAMN YOU, CHRONOS, NOW I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!! AND I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF AN IMPORTANT CLASS!!! DAMN YOU!!

... Now that I think about it, may I sig this?

Edit:

And this?

Absolutely! :smallbiggrin:

Gemini476
2013-08-30, 08:45 AM

Sounds perfect for a campaign where you try to romance the Lady of Pain.
And then she uses her Disable Dice skill to flay you alive.

Larkas
2013-08-30, 09:43 AM
Absolutely! :smallbiggrin:

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2013-08-30, 04:01 PM
And then she uses her Disable Dice skill to flay you alive.

What is that, the ability to use a blowtorch? :smalltongue: