PDA

View Full Version : What is Kilkil?

Newwby
2013-08-29, 04:07 PM
I'm really sorry if this has already been answered somewhere on the forums but what exactly is Kilkil?

I know he's been repeatedly called a kobold but he's winged? Is there some kobold variant that has wings?

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-29, 04:14 PM
I'm really sorry if this has already been answered somewhere on the forums but what exactly is Kilkil?

I know he's been repeatedly called a kobold but he's winged? Is there some kobold variant that has wings?

He's a Kobold with feats from Races of the Dragon (Dragonblooded Kobold and Winged Kobold).

Pokonic
2013-08-29, 04:18 PM
Presumably, he's dragonwrought.

NerdyKris
2013-08-29, 04:22 PM
He's like Deekin! (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Deekin_Scalesinger)

He was a kobold bard/Red Dragon Disciple in NeverWinter Nights.

But in terms of the comic, Kilkil is probably just a mixed race Kobold.

Newwby
2013-08-29, 04:35 PM
He's like Deekin! (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Deekin_Scalesinger)

He was a kobold bard/Red Dragon Disciple in NeverWinter Nights.

But in terms of the comic, Kilkil is probably just a mixed race Kobold.

Exactly what I thought first time he showed up :P Deekin is one of my favourite video game characters.

He's a Kobold with feats from Races of the Dragon (Dragonblooded Kobold and Winged Kobold).

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-29, 04:38 PM
He's a Kobold with feats from Races of the Dragon (Dragonblooded Kobold* and Winged Kobold).

*Dragonwrought.

All Kobolds are Humanoid (Reptilian, Dragonblooded). Dragonwrought makes them Dragons.

Michaeler
2013-08-29, 04:39 PM
Alternatively there was a winged kobold subrace pre 3rd ed named Urds. Since older edition creatures still exist in oots I guess you take your pick.

Emulgator
2013-08-29, 04:42 PM
Well I'd go with:

http://popcultureaffidavit.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/deathstroke-killing-machine.jpg

That's like the opposite of sexy shoeless god of war, right?

martianmister
2013-08-29, 04:48 PM
Please use a spoiler tag to hide this.

Vinsfeld
2013-08-29, 05:05 PM
Exactly what I thought first time he showed up :P Deekin is one of my favourite video game characters.

I love Deekin. Too bad he's only a regular merchant on NWN2, though.

Lorick
2013-08-29, 05:32 PM
Why does that guy's pants only have one pant leg?

Sunken Valley
2013-08-29, 05:43 PM
He's a winged kobold created by Rich Burlew. He was created as a lawful pencil pusher, so committed to his job that he ignores the evil Tarquin does. He's an opposite to Belkar in that while one is a token evil teammate who whilst powerful, needs constant control and management, the other is a token neutral teammate who whilst very weak (level 6-10) follows orders very well.

That is KilKil.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-29, 10:09 PM

Because Slade Wilson doesn't trust Oliver Queen to thread a needle, and there's no way "Deathstroke the Terminator" is going to darn his own pants, even if he is trapped on an island in the South China Sea.

Does that answer your question? :smallwink:

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-29, 10:15 PM

Presumably, he's dragonwrought.

*Dragonwrought.

All Kobolds are Humanoid (Reptilian, Dragonblooded). Dragonwrought makes them Dragons.

Just checked my copy of Races of the Dragon, and Pokonic and Yuki Akuma are both right: the term "Dragonblood" is a subtype, not the name of a feat.

The Feats I was thinking of are Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings; Kilkil seems to have both of these feats, granting him a Fly speed of 30' (Average Manueverability). This means that Kilkil must be a minimum of 6th Level in order to take Improved Dragon Wings.

Thanatosia
2013-08-29, 10:16 PM
He got tired of being ripped off buying 'pairs' of pants when one pant will service fine.

angry_bear
2013-08-29, 11:37 PM
Alternatively there was a winged kobold subrace pre 3rd ed named Urds. Since older edition creatures still exist in oots I guess you take your pick.

I thought that Urd and Dragonwrought were used interchangeably now? Like calling a dark elf a drow, or gray dwarf a duergar? Come to think of it, pretty much any under dark race... Weird.

hamishspence
2013-08-30, 06:05 AM
There was a template in Savage Species: Winged- that gave the creature wings.

There's lots of ways of getting wings- being a Dragon Disciple (DMG), having the half-fiend template (MM), having the Winged template (SS), having the Dragonwrought Kobold feat + Dragon Wings feat (probably with the Improved Dragon Wings feat on top of that: RotD), having a lot of levels in the Favoured Soul class (Complete Divine, Miniatures Handbook), and so forth. The 3.0 version of the Half-dragon template from MM may qualify as well.

Chantelune
2013-08-30, 06:10 AM
He's actually the MitD, going undercover to monitor Tarquin and the OOTS.

*Away !*

Joe the Rat
2013-08-30, 07:29 AM

Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings. Dragonwrought is not necessary.

hamishspence
2013-08-30, 08:21 AM
I thought it was a prerequisite for the other feats? Haven't checked the book recently.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-30, 10:33 AM
Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings. Dragonwrought is not necessary.

I've already been corrected twice, thanks. :smallwink:

I thought it was a prerequisite for the other feats? Haven't checked the book recently.

Dragonwrought is not a prerequisite for Dragon Wings; instead if a Kobold takes Dragonwrought at level 1, he can then take Dragon Wings at level 3. (Normally Dragon Wings must be taken at level 1 only.)

Reddish Mage
2013-08-30, 11:55 AM
Kilkil is a stereotypical sycophantic accountant (at least Nale refers to him as a sycophant at some point) and efficient professional bureaucrat. This is probably more important than whatever racial template/feat gives him wings.

Given that Kilkil is some sort of kobold, his wings are almost certainly a function of kobold draconic heritage (either draconic feats or a template).

Note that Kilkil is not the crooked accountant (the Giant's characterization of him as LN precludes this). I looked for a link to TV tropes of various accountants but apparently the sycophant and crooked accountant are not popular at late.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-30, 01:38 PM
Note that Kilkil is not the crooked accountant (the Giant's characterization of him as LN precludes this). I looked for a link to TV tropes of various accountants but apparently the sycophant and crooked accountant are not popular at late.

Not being on TV Tropes just means the trope hasn't appeared in an anime or anything Joss Whedon-related.

Mike Havran
2013-08-30, 01:42 PM
In the latest strip, Tarquin said that Kilkil "Sent to him". Does that mean he's able to cast Sending(that would make his class a bit clearer and put his power on par with Nale), or he was just using scroll?

NerdyKris
2013-08-30, 01:50 PM
In the latest strip, Tarquin said that Kilkil "Sent to him". Does that mean he's able to cast Sending(that would make his class a bit clearer and put his power on par with Nale), or he was just using scroll?

Probably a scroll.

Kish
2013-08-30, 01:54 PM
and put his power on par with Nale),
He was paralyzed by Durkon's Holy Word. That narrows down his level--to quite a bit lower than Nale's was.

I think at this point, we can consider "Kilkil=mid-level Expert" all but established.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-30, 01:57 PM
He was paralyzed by Durkon's Holy Word. That narrows down his level--to quite a bit lower than Nale's was.

I think at this point, we can consider "Kilkil=mid-level Expert" all but established.

And since Experts choose their own class skills, Kilkil can choose to have max ranks in Use Magic Device. Problem solved.

martianmister
2013-08-30, 02:00 PM
Half Kobold/Half Dragon, Lawful Neutral, Sorcerer, Mid-Level.

Mike Havran
2013-08-30, 02:21 PM

I think at this point, we can consider "Kilkil=mid-level Expert" all but established.That's very likely. I was just thinking about possibility that Kilkil had about as many Sorcerer levels as Nale had (maybe even more), and it's not like Nale's remaining multiclass would make such a big difference.

Kish
2013-08-30, 02:32 PM
Sending: Level 5 spell which Nale cast only from scrolls.
Level Kilkil would need to cast Sending, not from a scroll, as a sorcerer: 10.
A tenth-level sorcerer's qualifications as a secretary or accountant: Dubious.

EvilJames
2013-08-30, 04:18 PM
I know what Kilkil is in third
But in my heart
He'll always be an Urd.

Michaeler
2013-08-30, 05:39 PM
I thought that Urd and Dragonwrought were used interchangeably now? Like calling a dark elf a drow, or gray dwarf a duergar? Come to think of it, pretty much any under dark race... Weird.

Given that Dragonwrought kobolds were introduced in the edition that dropped Urds, I'd say it's probably a player thing. Old timers will be more likely to call them Urds, because let's be honest they're effectively the same damn thing.

Right?

brionl
2013-08-30, 07:17 PM
Half Kobold/Half Dragon, Lawful Neutral, Sorcerer, Mid-Level.

Half-Dragons only get wings if they are Large.

Astroturtle
2013-08-30, 07:29 PM
Class? Kilkil is either an Expert or Rogue(A backstab is a backstab, whether he uses a knife or a surprise audit). He likely has max ranks in UMD, to explain the Sending.

Race? Kilkil is a perfectly normal Kobold. One of Team Tarquin just has the Graft Flesh feat and something with wings cheesed Tarquin right the Abyss off. So a bit of exotic surgery later, bam. Kilkil got wings, brah.

Rakoa
2013-08-30, 10:19 PM
Half-Dragons only get wings if they are Large.

Dungeons and Dragons: Where you can only fly if you're BIGGER than the usual.

Antipode
2013-08-31, 03:45 AM
What is a Kilkil? A miserable pile of secrets?

No, but really, I think he's just a Dragonwrought Kobold that actually isn't Venerable. No wonder everyone's unsure; that's something you never see!

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-31, 09:58 AM
His scales are redder than other kobolds, which suggests red dragon heritage. The Dragonwrought feat specifically mentions the kobold's scales having a tint which reflects their heritage, and the Dragon Discple class gets natural armour that makes them look more and more like their draconic ancestors as they level up.

Dragonwrought kobold expert seems to be the best fit.

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-31, 11:28 AM

He's an accountant. They come with a +1 level adjustment and Audit Resistance 10.

Reddish Mage
2013-08-31, 01:22 PM
He's an accountant. They come with a +1 level adjustment and Audit Resistance 10.

This is definitely sig worthy.

Pokonic
2013-08-31, 01:34 PM
Presumably, we might not actually learn what he is in the comic directly, a bit like how Malack seemed to be a snake person of a race that faces the Mindf-Squid Thingy issue.

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-31, 02:11 PM
This is definitely sig worthy.

Tee hee ;)

137beth
2013-08-31, 06:55 PM
I thought he is an Eidolon. Probably one of the other members of Tarquin's team is a Summoner, and gave their Eidolon the Flight evolution.