PDA

View Full Version : question on natural attacks

Irk
2013-08-29, 04:14 PM
kinda weird question. Is there any way to treat a normal attack as a natural attack, for the purposes of feats, or items?

also, although unrelated, just another question I had.
Can you apply precision damage to iterative attacks that take place in a less than full round action without greater multishot?

Baroncognito
2013-08-29, 04:16 PM
How do you mean?

Irk
2013-08-29, 04:18 PM
like, if you attack with a sword, and you want to be able to use the abilities granted by thayan gladiator, just a random example, how would you make that sword, or any other weapon, count as a natural attack for the purposes of that class.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-08-29, 04:26 PM
like, if you attack with a sword, and you want to be able to use the abilities granted by thayan gladiator, just a random example, how would you make that sword, or any other weapon, count as a natural attack for the purposes of that class.
Well you don't.

Baroncognito
2013-08-29, 04:26 PM
That'd be a weapon property. There are weapons that can be counted as natural weapons. For example (and this is pathfinder), the Beaststrike Club (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/beaststrike-club).

Eric Scott
2013-08-29, 04:58 PM
If Psionics is ok... the Psychic Warrior can get Graft Weapon as a 3rd lvl power, you could also get it through Hidden Talent.

I believe there is also a graft in one of the Fiendish books (Fiend Folio?).

Both treat your weapon as a manufactured and Natural Weapon if my memory serves...

Fax Celestis
2013-08-29, 05:00 PM
Can you apply precision damage to iterative attacks that take place in a less than full round action without greater multishot?

A volley attack? No. The tl;dr on this is that you can apply precision damage once per attack roll, no exceptions, Fox only, final destination.

Irk
2013-08-29, 05:15 PM
alright, thanks everybody!
I kinda asked this because I saw a build on the WoTC forums,(just google chaingun porcupine), which I don't think works, exactly for the reasons the above two things I mentioned don't work.

Darrin
2013-08-29, 07:10 PM
A volley attack? No. The tl;dr on this is that you can apply precision damage once per attack roll, no exceptions, Fox only, final destination.

Actually, the Rules Compendium mucked that all up. You can't get precision damage more than once on a standard action. If it's a swift or full round action, then you get precision damage on each attack roll.

Yeah, it's stupid, but that's what the Rules Compendium says. Most people just ignore it and use the much simpler "each attack roll gets precision damage" thing.

Chronos
2013-08-29, 08:07 PM
In any event, though, there's no way to get iterative attacks without a full-round action. There are a handful of ways to get multiple attacks in a standard action, but none of them are iterative attacks.

Prince Raven
2013-08-29, 09:49 PM
kinda weird question. Is there any way to treat a normal attack as a natural attack, for the purposes of feats, or items?

Monk Unarmed Strikes can be treated as either manufactured weapons or natural attacks.

also, although unrelated, just another question I had.

To my knowledge, no.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-29, 09:50 PM
Actually, the Rules Compendium mucked that all up. You can't get precision damage more than once on a standard action. If it's a swift or full round action, then you get precision damage on each attack roll.

Yeah, it's stupid, but that's what the Rules Compendium says. Most people just ignore it and use the much simpler "each attack roll gets precision damage" thing.

Wait swift? So say a quickened scorching ray would get SA damage on all rays?

Darrin
2013-08-29, 10:28 PM
Wait swift? So say a quickened scorching ray would get SA damage on all rays?

Sorry, I am confused. According to the Rules Compendium, you can only get precision damage on multiple attacks if you're using a full-round action. A swift scorching ray is one of the examples of when you'd only get precision on the first attack.

Rubik
2013-08-30, 12:13 AM
It doesn't work on class features, but the aptitude weapon property would allow you to treat the weapon as a natural weapon for feats, I think, since you can apply it to any feat that specifies another kind of weapon (such as a claw attack).

I wonder if you could make an aptitude greatsword count as a claw attack for the purposes of the Beast Strike feat...