PDA

View Full Version : Null Magic Zones

unseenmage
2013-08-29, 04:52 PM
I've read some about Null Magic Zones and how much better they are than Antimagic Fields. I even saw somewhere how a Planar Shepherd can effectively carry one around with them. But I remain largely mystified by the subject.

What exactly are Null Magic Zones?
Do they occur naturally by RAW? If so where?

In the Playground's opinion are they more or less powerful/rare than Fast Time Zones?

And lastly, what are all the means of gaining access to Null Magic Zones and what does the Playground use them for?

Edit: Less lastly, would a zone of Dead Magic stop line of effect?

Psyren
2013-08-29, 05:00 PM
Dead Magic

These planes have no magic at all. A plane with the dead magic trait functions in all respects like an antimagic field spell.

I'm not seeing any difference between the two in the rules.

As for using them, there's no reason to. You can't really hide anything there, because a high-level caster can just Wish it out (even if they can't detect it.) If you go yourself, you're stuck unless you've got Invoke Magic/Cheater of Mystra/a buddy to pull you out.

Blackhawk748
2013-08-29, 05:35 PM

As for using them, there's no reason to. You can't really hide anything there, because a high-level caster can just Wish it out (even if they can't detect it.) If you go yourself, you're stuck unless you've got Invoke Magic/Cheater of Mystra/a buddy to pull you out.

Wait a minute.......... how do you pull something off the plane if its effectively an antimagic field? Im pretty sure you cant teleport something out of an Anitmagic field, though i am basing this off of memory so i may be wrong.

Psyren
2013-08-29, 06:15 PM
Wait a minute.......... how do you pull something off the plane if its effectively an antimagic field? Im pretty sure you cant teleport something out of an Anitmagic field, though i am basing this off of memory so i may be wrong.

Oh sorry, the transport travelers function of Wish specifies creatures. But it ignores "local conditions" which includes planar traits (like dead magic.)

Blackhawk748
2013-08-29, 06:52 PM
well holy crap, i guess i learned something today.

Beelzebub1111
2013-08-29, 07:01 PM
Oh sorry, the transport travelers function of Wish specifies creatures. But it ignores "local conditions" which includes planar traits (like dead magic.)
But you can't actually CAST it, or any spell, when within an antimagic field. "it prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines"

unseenmage
2013-08-29, 07:02 PM

Out of curiosity would unstoppering the bottle a creature bound by Binding in an Antimagic Field/Null Magic Zone still release the creature? If so one use would be to have an area where the fighter can more easily beatstick Binding-ed demons and aboleths etc to death.

Blackhawk748
2013-08-29, 07:03 PM
he meant cast it on another plane to get the thing, which would work.

Nettlekid
2013-08-29, 07:05 PM
But you can't actually CAST it, or any spell, when within an antimagic field. "it prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines"

Perhaps you could cast a spell on the Material Plane where magic would work, and pull it over? Like the Planeshifter's Planar Area Swap originating from the Material Plane and going to the dead magic plane? Although the dead magic would only last 1d4 rounds.

Could Planar Shepherd be used for this?

unseenmage
2013-08-29, 07:05 PM

he meant cast it on another plane to get the thing, which would work.

Actually, as they've been discussing in the other Antimagic Field thread for a few days now, you can cast all the spells you want. The Antimagic Field just keeps the action of casting a spell from bearing fruit so to speak.

Psyren
2013-08-29, 07:57 PM

If you had read my post you'd see that I said "a buddy to pull you out."