PDA

View Full Version : PF: Opinions on this DMing setup

Thrair
2013-08-29, 07:14 PM
Heya. An RL friend of my from out of state asked me what I thought about possibly running a campaign, possibly over google+ or roll20.

So far, my DMing experience is fairly limited. Mostly it's just been one-offs for when enough people couldn't make it to a session. With one relatively brief stint of essentially co-DMing with a guy who likes the story-telling aspect of things but hates number-crunching and balancing encounters.

As such, I'd like to run the rules I'm currently thinking of using for a campaign by you all, should it end up happening. I'm also interested in general advice from people with more experience DMing.
From my prior delving into it, I think I've got a good grasp of the rules, and am capable of improv when needed.
One weakness I have is a tendency to run sessions as if I were a player, and limiting myself to strictly to the rules. In that, once I designed an area and encounter, I stuck to it and didn't tweak it readily. I've gotten a bit better about that. Partly because whenever the party made me have to improv on the spot, things ran more quickly and smoothly because I was forced to make up minor details on the fly rather than falling into my OCD by-the-book tendencies. I learned that DMs need to use a little bit of common sense in when to fudge things. (Sure, you might not have planned a patrol there, but the party bypassed the encounter you expected, and nobody has made any checks to see if a patrol is in the area, so go ahead and put one down here).
My other weakness is asking for too many perception checks instead of just describing obvious details from the outset. But I quickly corrected that.

Anyways, opinions and suggestions are welcomed. Having some experience DMing is better than none, but I'd be a fool to think that made me prepared to run a full campaign without asking for advice.

*EDIT* Here's my currently planned rules for a high-fantasy play, probably starting around level 7-8, and working it's way up:

Races & Stats
1) 25-Point buy for stats.
2) Non-core races are fine, but any RP cost in excess of 10 is taken from the point buy.
This is to keep high RP Race PCs in line with core-race PCs.

Traits & Drawbacks
1) 2 traits each, as standard. Only one of these can be a flat stat-boost (Such as +2 Initiative or +1 X Save traits) or Dangerously Curious.
I prefer at least one of the traits a player has be for characterization, and it keeps everyone from having the same traits every game and helps people flesh out character personality a bit.
2) Players can buy an additional trait (even a stat-boost one) if they take a drawback, but I do except them to use it in characterization and roleplay.
I know this is a bit harsh and restrictive. It can just get a little old when someone selects a trait from a powergaming standpoint, then ignores it outside of it’s pure in-game mechanics. Especially since a lot of drawbacks are highly situational and can be traded for potent overall boosts.

Character Creation & Mulligan
1) After a couple sessions with their character, everyone gets a free use-it-or-lose-it mulligan to tweak their character a bit if they’re not quite happy with it. This also applies for replacement characters if there was a cause to reroll.
This isn’t really intended to completely change a character. It’s just to allow a player a chance to test-drive the character a bit before finalizing everything and having it set in stone.
2) If you decide to reroll after dying (which hopefully won’t happen too often), the character has to be significantly different from the prior character. If you want to keep a dead character, rez em. Don’t pull out an identical twin.

Houserules
1) Everyone gets a minor bonus feat. Examples of minor feats are things like Improved Unarmed Strike, Endurance, Eschew Materials, Breadth of Experience, Cypher Script, Master Craftsman, etc. In general, eligible feats are either out-of-combat/skill-monkey type feats, highly situational, or just a blatant feat tax.
This allows for a little extra customization in grabbing some minor feat without worrying about blowing one of your actual feat slots on it, or to lessen the feat tax penalty on a cool feat-chain.
2) Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting all get rolled into Improved Two-Weapon fighting. You get the extra attacks at the appropriate BAB (+6 for Imp, +11 for Greater).
This makes TWF more useful in general, as it does not eat up 3 feats just to be viable. As a fringe benefit, it reduces the Dex requirement making such builds less MAD, as well as making Shields more viable.
3) Monks get full BAB.
They don’t cast spells and they don’t get sneak attack damage. That screams “Martial class” to me. On a note related to TWF, it means their Flurry progresses faster. They get the extra attacks at 6 and 11, rather than 8 and 15.
4) Practiced Spellcaster (+4 to Caster Level, up to your current HD) feat from 3.5 is houseruled in.
Multiclasses have it bad enough without losing this feat. And Magical Knack exists with a +2 to CL, which fits in with Paizo’s “trait is half a feat” rule-of-thumb. And, frankly, a multiclass caster is WAY less of a danger than a single-classed primary spellcaster in just about every case.
5) Obvious Drizz’t clones are summarily captured by a coalition of the Gods and fed to Rovagug.

Now. As for my DMing style:
1) I do reserve the right to invoke Rule Zero. I try to avoid doing so, though.
2) While I am not trying to “win” against the players, I make encounters challenging. The character creation under this setup is quite generous for making powerful characters. If the bad guys aren’t up to par, things get boring.
3) Not every fight the party gets into will be “winnable”. Some encounters will be “talk this out or get the hell out of dodge”. If every encounter can be solved by sticking the pointy end into them, things get very predictable. I like to keep players guessing and have a reason to not just say “screw diplomacy, charge”. However, if the party bites off more than they can chew, I try to give them a way out, rather than TPK. If nothing else, not every enemy will try to kill them. They might take them prisoner instead.
4) While optimizing is fine, if some of the party is getting outshined, I might ask a player to tone it down a bit. Failing that, I will try and tailor some encounters/situations to the strengths of the outshined player/s. Last resort if someone’s breaking the game at the other players’ expense will be generous applications of save-or-suck directed at the offending player. I avoid save-or-die, though.

Any suggestions? Too heavy on the houseruling, perhaps? I'm debating cutting out some of the houseruling, since I might be over-reaching for my first actual campaign.

Blackhawk748
2013-08-29, 07:28 PM
heres my list of random DM advice.

1. Dont have your Prepared Caster NPCs actually prepare their spells, just have them cast what they need at the time.

2. Max out you NPCs health, and if that isnt enough just have them fall over when you feel they should, i use this trick occasionally if they are steamrolling encounters, just dont use it to much.

3. Everything can benefit from 3 levels of Warrior. No seriously, 3 levels of Warrior doesnt increase the creatures CR but gives them more Fort, BaB, and of course Hp.

4. Just because the NPC has an item doesnt mean the party can have it. Ive had rogues that had rings of invisibilty, warriors with boots of bulls strength etc etc, guess what the party didnt get the items. Not because they didnt search the corpses, they did it. It was because the NPC needed it and it would just give the party more money, which they usually dont need.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. Best of luck to you

Uhtred
2013-08-29, 08:21 PM
I watch a show called "The Middleman," and in it the titular character describes the "Moscow Rules," a Cold War-era spy doctrine used by "America's agents of freedom while living under the yoke of communist oppression in the Soviet Union," and I've found that they're actually serviceable DM rules. Check it out:
1: Assume nothing. (Just because you hope your players will remember things and make connections does not mean they will. Don't be afraid to remind them every now and again of important bits of plot they may have missed. Also Players are the best ever at embodying the "The best laid plans..." aphorism. Keep that in mind.)
2: Murphy is right. (You WILL forget your carefully-laid out battlemats. You WILL leave the vital minis and notes at home. Your players will forget their character sheets. Someone will have left their dice at home. At least once. It's important to not stress about it, and do your best to be flexible and find a workable solution. Even in-game, they'll ignore your carefully and lovingly-statted NPC. They'll walk right past an obvious quest-giver. Don't get frustrated! It'll be all right.)
3: Never go against your gut; it is your operational antenna. (This is key. As DM, you're in charge, ((at least in MY group, anyway)) of a million decisions, from the politics of your world to which pizza joint you order from. Often your first decision is the best one, so listen to your gut instincts!)
4: Don't look back; you are never completely alone. (If you're having trouble with a ruling or wording or whatnot, never be afraid to utilize a community like this one for advice or fresh points of view. At worst you inspire a lively debate. No harm there. We're here to help!)
5: Everyone is potentially under opposition control. (There will always be the one guy at the table who second-guesses you, who knows the rules and mechanics and tries to call your bluffs and spoil your storyline. If you're unlucky, you have several, but even at a table of best friends that guy exists. Be careful of that guy, letting him undermine you could destroy your authority as GM.)
6: Go with the flow, blend in. (Flexibility and its importance cannot be overstated. A rigid and controlling railroad-y DM is a DM with nobody at his table. Your players want to ignore your carefully-crafted swamp map and proceed straight to the vampire tower? Whatever, let them. But make them go through the swamp on your way back, somehow. :))
7: Vary your pattern and stay within your cover. (It's said that few people are as fond of abusing tropes as much as DM, and it's true. If your players can actively second-guess your storyline without that being a your legitimate goal, you need to change things up.)
8: Any operation can be aborted. If it feels wrong, it is wrong. (No DM likes ending a campaign, but if, against all odds and despite your best efforts you don't see a way to move forward and still be friends with your players without calling it quits, don't be afraid to do so. It sucks, but it happens.)
9: Maintain a natural pace. (Essential. Best campaign I ever played was with a DM who made sure we never felt rushed or like we were dragging our heels. Let your players determine how quickly events move, and adjust your story accordingly. Sure, if they don't close the Daemon Gate in exactly a month, the world will perish in fire and brimstone, but a month takes as long as it has to.)
10: Lull them into a sense of complacency. (My favorite. My Saturday players thought they were hot stuff until they faced down a Pathfinder Jabberwocky that almost wiped the party. God, I miss the screaming.)
11: Build in opportunity, but use it sparingly. (Is there a badass bazooka NPC who can save them all from said previously mentioned Jabberwocky? Sure. But he's drinking in a tavern unless I desperately feel I need him to save them. Players resent being bailed out by Divine Intervention, so don't abuse it.)
12: Don't harass the opposition. (Don't lord it over your players that you're running the game, they're there because they want to play with you and think they'll have fun doing it. But if you continually take a dump on them or make the whole world hate their characters for no reason, they'll get back at you somehow, whether by willfully subverting your story or by leaving your table. Either way you lose.)
13: There is no limit to a human being's ability to rationalize the truth. (Which is easier to believe, that a ten-foot Werebear lobbed a garbage truck into the fifth story of an apartment building, or that a gas main exploded? Your PC's will believe whatever they want to believe about the story you're telling together. Make the moment when you reveal that they've been playing right into the villain's hands as epic as possible.)
14: Pick the time and place for action. (Setting and pacing are yours to command! Don't be afraid to abuse their perception of time or the place they're adventuring in to keep things exciting and interesting.)
15: Keep your options open. (Players mess things up. That's just how it is.don't get so attached to an element of your story that you let it distract you. Did they just wipe the Minotaur city right off the map? Sure, and there went most of your story. But hey, maybe Minotaurs are famously mercenaries in your world, so therefore the number of actual Minotaur deaths is relatively low! There's always something.)
Also famously a Moscow Rule is "Technology will ALWAYS let you down," so keep that in mind while your players use their iPads to keep track of character sheets and their phones to roll dice. Batteries die. That's just how it is. Be prepared.

Sylthia
2013-08-29, 08:27 PM
heres my list of random DM advice.

1. Dont have your Prepared Caster NPCs actually prepare their spells, just have them cast what they need at the time.

2. Max out you NPCs health, and if that isnt enough just have them fall over when you feel they should, i use this trick occasionally if they are steamrolling encounters, just dont use it to much.

3. Everything can benefit from 3 levels of Warrior. No seriously, 3 levels of Warrior doesnt increase the creatures CR but gives them more Fort, BaB, and of course Hp.

4. Just because the NPC has an item doesnt mean the party can have it. Ive had rogues that had rings of invisibilty, warriors with boots of bulls strength etc etc, guess what the party didnt get the items. Not because they didnt search the corpses, they did it. It was because the NPC needed it and it would just give the party more money, which they usually dont need.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. Best of luck to you

I would make the caveat that you don't give the NPCs items that the party can't have if you can help it, but instead say they had an enemy mage cast the buff on them, or have them have limited use items, like potions/scrolls/wands of invisibility instead of a ring. That way they won't feel cheated when they can't loot it (If your flavor text says something like "the thief twists his ring and vanishes before your eyes" they'll expect to loot a ring). Instead of getting an expensive ring, they get a couple potions instead.

Blackhawk748
2013-08-29, 09:51 PM
I would make the caveat that you don't give the NPCs items that the party can't have if you can help it, but instead say they had an enemy mage cast the buff on them, or have them have limited use items, like potions/scrolls/wands of invisibility instead of a ring. That way they won't feel cheated when they can't loot it (If your flavor text says something like "the thief twists his ring and vanishes before your eyes" they'll expect to loot a ring). Instead of getting an expensive ring, they get a couple potions instead.

Well they never really see them activate the item, i just have it there so i dont have to have a mage anywhere nearby. And the invisibility ring was a bad example, its usually just a single buff like Bulls Strength, Bless, Protection from Good, things like that.