PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Gunslinger: how to reaload two pistols?

rafaruggi
2013-08-29, 08:22 PM
I've been playing a PF campaign for a few months and now my Gunslinger is level 4.

I've been using the two-weapon fighting feat since the beggining, at first with a sword-and-pistol, and now that I could afford another gun, with two pistols.

Neither I or my GM knew you couldn't reload a weapon if you didn't have a free hand (I only learned that in these forums, actually). It seems silly to think you could reload without a free hand, but in D&D terms of "what is possible", I don't think it's too much of a stretch (I also always remember Roland from The Dark Tower series doing that :P)

My question is: Is there any effective way to fight with two pistols then? Because if I can't, there doesn't seen to be any advantage from choosing pistol over heavier weapons. The damage from just one pistol isn't that great. And with early firearms, you can't pack revolvers...

Dr. Yes
2013-08-29, 08:38 PM
Weapon cord. Double-barreled pistols will get you two attacks each before reloading; you can then drop one weapon as a free action, load alchemical cartridges in both guns, snap the dangling one back into your hand as a swift action, and continue with the rest of your attack routine. Once you get past eight shots per round, I think you're stuck.

Actually, thinking it through, this would only work on the first round. At the end of an eight-shot routine you'd have to drop and reload again, but since you've already used a swift action you'd have to wait until next turn to re-arm that hand, thus cutting you to four attacks on that round and every round thereafter. Oh well!

Roog
2013-08-29, 08:44 PM
Get an extra arm.

Snowbluff
2013-08-29, 08:51 PM
DO the above, and get a Glove of Storing.

rafaruggi
2013-08-29, 09:01 PM
Getting an extra arm is not an option, but the answer from Dr. Yes seems alright. The only problem is that I still have to get money for double-barrel weapons, but 4 attacks per turn seems alright. I don't know until which level we are playing.

Also, Glove of Storing is way too expensive for me.

Malroth
2013-08-29, 09:22 PM
start the round with 1 pistol in each hand both attached to weapon cords, 1 dangling free the other ready to shoot, make all your attacks with the loaded weapon free action reloading it with your free hand, then reload it 1 last time and let it fall loose, then use your swift action to retrieve the weapon that started the round hanging free and make your offhand attacks with it, reloading it before it becomes the primary hand attacks the next round.

Or take a 1 level dip in white haired witch to have your hair become an extra hand and don't worry about any of this.

Raven777
2013-08-29, 09:28 PM
start the round with 1 pistol in each hand both attached to weapon cords, 1 dangling free the other ready to shoot, make all your attacks with the loaded weapon free action reloading it with your free hand, then reload it 1 last time and let it fall loose, then use your swift action to retrieve the weapon that started the round hanging free and make your offhand attacks with it, reloading it before it becomes the primary hand attacks the next round.

You brilliant, beautiful bastard :smallamused:

grarrrg
2013-08-29, 09:40 PM
*cough cough* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12589453#post12589453)

rafaruggi
2013-08-29, 09:59 PM
Thanks, everybody (:

Claudius Maximus
2013-08-30, 12:09 AM

This one won't work once you hit BAB +6, since you have to make your attacks in descending order of the attack bonus. In a TWF routine of +10/+10/+5/+5, those attacks alternate between the two weapons due to the bonus you make the attacks with.

Person_Man
2013-08-30, 08:59 AM
Don't play as a Gunslinger, because it's a gimped Tier 4 class that has a hard time accomplishing what it was designed to do, as your post clearly indicates. Honestly, the DM should just give Gunslinger the first level ability of "you can draw and reload guns as a free action even if you don't have a free hand, because otherwise you're worse off then pretty much every other ranged weapon build."

Segev
2013-08-30, 09:27 AM
The trick I like to do with crossbows (particularly heavy ones) can work for you, but you'll need an item or a cooperative party wizard: get an Unseen Servant or two to do the re-loading for you. Handing items off is a free action. They spend THEIR actions reloading, then hand you the loaded ones back.

Quick Draw will also be your friend, allowing you to drop and draw weapons quickly when necessary.

Dr. Yes
2013-08-30, 09:58 AM
Don't play as a Gunslinger, because it's a gimped Tier 4 class that has a hard time accomplishing what it was designed to do, as your post clearly indicates. Honestly, the DM should just give Gunslinger the first level ability of "you can draw and reload guns as a free action even if you don't have a free hand, because otherwise you're worse off then pretty much every other ranged weapon build."

It only has a hard time if your goal is to dual wield ranged weapons. Standard Gunslinger pops off one less attack per round compared to an archer, but does so against touch AC and gets dex to damage instead of strength. Use a double-barreled weapon and you can either double your attacks per round or double your weapon damage, depending on how your group rules it; I lean toward the latter interpretation, but most people seem to use the former, which is well worth the -4 to hit. Breaking the weapon is a problem, but that can be mitigated with enchantments and eventually goes away entirely from class features.

It is still a low tier class, but it does the damage thing pretty well. You can get along fine as long as there are no powergamers at the table.

grarrrg
2013-08-30, 08:02 PM
The trick I like to do with crossbows (particularly heavy ones) can work for you, but you'll need an item or a cooperative party wizard: get an Unseen Servant or two to do the re-loading for you. Handing items off is a free action. They spend THEIR actions reloading, then hand you the loaded ones back.

Nope, not unless you're a high level Gunslinger (or a Dwarf)
"a nonproficient character who loads a firearm increases all misfire values by 4 for the shots he loads."

If you like guns blowing up in your face, or Quick Clearing every other round, then go crazy.

magwaaf
2013-08-30, 11:09 PM
by level 4 my gm dropped like 6 single shot pistol so i'd just fire and drop every round

Lafaellar
2013-08-31, 04:34 AM
I always allow my players a "Self reloading" enchantment on guns and crossbows that costs 2000 GP. I don't see anything wrong with it. Otherwise these weapons are simply useless and the 2000 GP enchantment ensures that not every crossbow and gun in the game has this so there is still valid reason for bows in the world.

TuggyNE
2013-08-31, 04:44 AM
I always allow my players a "Self reloading" enchantment on guns and crossbows that costs 2000 GP. I don't see anything wrong with it. Otherwise these weapons are simply useless and the 2000 GP enchantment ensures that not every crossbow and gun in the game has this so there is still valid reason for bows in the world.

2000gp flat, or +1 equivalent? Because if it's 2000gp flat that's brokenly good.

Lafaellar
2013-08-31, 06:25 AM
2000 flat but balancing is not so much an issue with my group

grarrrg
2013-08-31, 10:32 AM

There's a spell for that: Reloading Hands (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/reloading-hands)