PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Homebrew Template Tips/Critique?

LogosDragon
2013-08-29, 11:13 PM
Let's get right into this. Starting in a few weeks, I'm going to be DMing a campaign for a few of my friends; this is my first time as a DM for something original, though I have a bit of experience being the head of the table with pre-made campaigns. Whether this is a good thing or not I don't know, but I'll be doing this with a bunch of first-timers and two experienced players. The experienced players have agreed not to optimize and the rest haven't the faintest clue how to, so bear that in mind when judging the balance of the template for the campaign. Also, this template is NOT for the players.

(For reference, the characters are a lightly-armored glaive-wielding Fighter [the first experienced player], an unusually intelligent and charismatic Barbarian, a Sorcerer [second experienced one] who acts like a Bard in most ways including putting skill points into playing an instrument, a Cleric, a healbot Druid, and a Ranger focusing on archery)

So yeah. Now that introductions are aside, let's get to the origin of the template and then the idea I had for how it'll work.

The best name I can find to concisely describe the template would be "Runecrafted". As weird as that sounds... Perhaps "Glyphcrafted" would be more accurate, but it just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Creatures with this template have had symbols of incredible power grafted and infused into them, which are visible through their skins as if that's where the symbols were applied (however, a skinned creature, on the extremely off-chance it would survive, would still receive the benefits of being Runecrafted).

Runecrafted is a template that can be applied to any corporeal creature except for constructs and creatures without an anatomy (exception: Runecrafted can be applied to Oozes and Elementals, even if they lack an internal anatomy of any kind). As a side note, despite not being targets for sneak attacks due to not really having targetable "vitals" in their bodies, Plants do tend to have discernible anatomies and most of them thus apply. If I'm homebrewing that ruling and making rash assumptions from basic logic (admittedly, even basic logic is something of a stretch in 3.5)... This is the homebrew section anyway. Sue me.

There are two types of Runecrafted. Since each creature receives the Runecrafted template on an individual and deliberate basis, the type of Runecrafted applied to a creature is generally the type that will give it the greatest benefits for its species/class.

Aversive Runecrafted:

Baskets full of food fell to the ground and screams erupted as grey-robed human commoners stopped what they were doing to run from the lumbering figure at the village entrance. With heavy stomps across the ground, the Orc fighter Vultan quickly approached the center of the village. He stood in undistinguishing murky-colored plate armor with a large greatsword resting somewhat un-imposingly upon his broad, armored shoulder. As far as Orcs go, he would seem rather average from a far distance, but as soon as detail could be perceived, it would quickly become apparent that he bore several deep red scar-like marks across his face in odd symbols and patterns, some stretching from his face down past his neck and onto his concealed chest.

Vultan grinned slightly, revealing a chipped tooth as he reached the center of town. The scar-like symbols began to glow a magenta-like color for a brief moment before igniting into purplish fire. A deep, throaty laughter erupted from the Orc's throat as the fire began to spread off of him, crawling along the ground towards the surrounding buildings.

As the destruction spread throughout the village, the leader of the local church sent out a desperate Sending message to the head priest of the next-nearest village just before being slain.

"It's too late. Even faith is useless... The light of destruction emitted by the Runecrafted cannot be blotted or quenched... Flee, flee, flee... For the hells have been unleashed upon us."

Aversive Runecrafted are sturdier and more intelligent than normal members of their species, but their runes are blatantly visible, quite ugly, and constantly painful, causing the Runecrafted creature to have frustrations and difficulties in dealing with others, as well as usually serving to limit their patience, though the more studious of the Runecrafted have managed to overcome the latter limitation.

Aversive Runecrafted is an acquired template that can be applied to any creature to whom Runecrafted can be applied (specified above).

An Aversive Runecrafted creature uses all the base creature's statistics and abilities except as noted here.

Special Attacks: An Aversive Runecrafted retains all the special attacks of the base creature. Upon becoming Runecrafted, the one applying the Runecrafted template to the base creature may choose one elemental affinity for the creature, unless the creature is an elemental, in which case it retains its own elemental affinity. Aversive Runecrafted gain the following Spell-Like Abilities: Elemental Pillage 2/day, 1d6/level elemental damage to everything within 30 foot radius circle around base creature, recharge time of thirty minutes, element of damage based on Runecrafted creatures' elemental affinity; Pulse of Adjudication, 1/day, causes enemy who fails Will Save to become Nauseated, save DC 15 + Int Mod + 1/2 HD. 2/day Darkness, as the spell (can only be used if Intelligence is 13 or higher).

Special Qualities: An Aversive Runecrafted creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature. An Aversive Runecrafted creature also has Blindsense as a Supernatural ability. An Aversive Runecrafted creature has Energy Resistance against its affiliated element equal to two points per HD. Aversive Runecrafted creatures also have Spell Resistance equal to 11 + the creature's CR -2.

Abilities: +2 Intelligence, +2 Constitution, -4 Charisma. These are in addition to the creatures' own ability adjustments.

Skills: The same as the base creature, except that an Aversive Runecrafted creature gets a +2 to Intimidate checks. Despite being otherwise non-charismatic, Aversive Runecrafted have no trouble scaring their opponents.

Environment: Same as the base creature, or on their affiliated elemental plane.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.

Alignment: Any.

Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +1.

Accented Runecrafted:

No description for this yet, as I am rather lazy.

Despite lacking in the sturdiness and intellectual capabilities of Aversive Runecrafted, Accented Runecrafted creatures are capable and dangerous in their own right. Their tattoo-like, soft, and charmingly-shaped runes lend to them being perceived as more beautiful, and their personalities and perceptiveness are enhanced by the powers of the runes enscribed upon them. They serve as eloquent diplomats, tricksters, and even casters of powerful magic that fall into their attributes, such as Clerics and Sorcerers.

Accented Runecrafted is an acquired template that can be applied to any creature eligible for becoming Runecrafted (see above).

An Accented Runecrafted creature uses all the base creature's statistics and abilities, except as noted here.

Special Attacks: An Accented Runecrafted creature retains all the base creatures' special attacks. Upon becoming Runecrafted, the one applying the Runecrafted template to the base creature may choose one elemental affinity for the creature, unless the creature is an elemental, in which case it retains its own elemental affinity. Accented Runecrafted gain all the following Spell-Like Abilities: 2/day Darkness, as the spell (must have Cha or Wis of at least 13 to use); 3/day Mind's Solidarity, as Dominate Monster, but with the subject allowed to choose whether to use Will or Fortitude for their saving throw, and only works on creatures with 8 or less HD.

Special Qualities: An Accented Runecrafted creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature. Accented Runecrafted creatures are immune to Sleep and mind-altering effects. An Accented Runecrafted creature also has Blindsense as a Supernatural ability. An Accented Runecrafted creature has Energy Resistance against its affiliated element equal to two points per HD. Accented Runecrafted creatures also have Spell Resistance equal to 11 + the creature's CR -2.

Abilities: +2/4 Wisdom, +2/4 Charisma, -2 Intelligence, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution. The one applying the Accented Runecrafted template to the base creature decides which stat, Wisdom or Charisma, the creature gains +4 to; the other one automatically becomes +2. This is in addition to the base creature's racial ability score adjustments.

Skills: The same as the base creature, however, if the creature gains class levels after becoming Accented Runecrafted, Diplomacy and Bluff are automatically treated as class skills.

Environment: Same as the base creature, or their affiliated element's elemental plane.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.

Alignment: Any.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +1.

So yeah, that's what I've got so far. Any tips on how they could be made more balanced/interesting would be much appreciated. And yes, these will be applied to many enemies, ranging from several (though definitely not all) mooks, and most of the BEGs. Thanks again for help!

Fosco the Swift
2013-08-31, 09:12 PM
This template is really cool and I'm already thinking about making a character with it, but I think for the Accented Runecrafted template is closer to a +2 CR/Level ajustment because of the Spell resistance, energy resistance and spell-like abilities. Those three can cover just about all the base classes ability to damage the Runecrafted. With the Dominate Monster S.L.A., do you mean 7 HD or LOWER? If not, then I'm even more adamant with the template being very powerful (Dominate Monster is a 9th level spell and he/she's using it 3/day.) As another customizing idea possibly give the option of doing Darkness 2/day or Light at Will, giving a Lawful Good aspect to the template for those Paladins out there. Otherwise looking VERY cool.

LogosDragon
2013-09-02, 12:47 AM
Ah, thanks for the catch! Totally meant to put 7 HD or lower, but instead I put or higher. That was just bad craftsmanship on my part.

Also, while I agree that I should probably balance the SLAs (particularly Blindsense... What was I thinking, assuming making it non-Extraordinary somehow made it balanced?), the Spell Resistance is honestly just so that I can introduce the concept of Spell Resistance to my players early-on, as well as keeping the entire template from losing value as the opponent's level got higher; the other abilities (aside from, arguably, Pulse of Adjudication and Blindsense) tend to act a lot like playing one of the Gith- races; cool at first, but at higher levels, totally not worth the LA.

As for the Paladin argument, I suppose that could work, but then, this really is a template designed for the opposition, and Paladin-ism tends to be mostly reserved for the PCs and their NPC allies; not that the guys you're fighting necessarily have to be evil (as a matter of fact, most of the Runecrafted in this campaign are working for a really Good guy), but more for virtue of the fact that throwing a Paladin at a party of good-and-neutral adventurers (who probably aren't throwing diseases at their opponents, mind you) is hardly more effective than throwing a monster with Commoner class levels at them and giving it a few extra HD and armor proficiencies.

And, yeah. I will probably give it a half-change like they did for the Half-races, and keep them at +1 LA but bump it to +2 CR. +2 LA only if I decide to implement that idea of them being able to use a force-push type attack as an SLA... but that was really only to enhance a scene in my mind with a Runecrafted medium fire elemental force-one-shotting other medium fire elementals, so that probably won't happen.

Thank you for the praise and critiques! I'll try to make the necessary edits and see how it turns out.