PDA

View Full Version : Dual Theism [feat]

Maerok
2006-12-19, 10:29 PM
Dual Theism [General]
Prequisites: Taken at first level.
Special: You select a second god to serve as your patron deity, as long as the second deity's alignment is within one step of the first's. You must share at least half your alignment with both deities (such as Evil, Good, Lawful, Chaotic, or Neutral). You may pick your domains from either deity. In cases where serving two gods would come into conflict, you are sided with the more powerful of the two (or the more relevant of the two in that situation); the two deities you select must not be enemies.
Normal: You select one deity to serve as your patron deity.

Delcan
2006-12-19, 10:44 PM
Unnecessary feat. Why not worship the pantheon, or those two gods' section of the pantheon? Same crunchy result and one less used-up feat slot.

Kesnit
2006-12-20, 07:35 AM
Unnecessary feat. Why not worship the pantheon, or those two gods' section of the pantheon? Same crunchy result and one less used-up feat slot.

It would give you more domains to pick from, and could lead to some interesting RP.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-12-20, 07:59 AM
While this would give you some nice RP possibilities, you can achieve the same crunchy result by being a cleric of a principle rather than a deity and just selecting your domains.

I'm tempted to suggest you change this feat to allow the cleric access to all the deities' domains (still limited to one domain spell per level) - but that might over power the cleric if they pick the right domains.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-22, 01:28 AM
It really doesn't make much sense flavor-wise. You can't simultaneously devote yourself to two different DnD-esque gods: They're going to get in all sorts of petty conflicts of interest and you're going to be forced to end up picking sides (in which case your true patron is the one you side with).

Maglor_Grubb
2007-01-05, 02:21 PM
I don't agree. Your a priest, you make people offer things to the gods and promiss to pray for them. You get something for your services from the community (prestige, the offered food and wine) and from the gods (spells).

grinner666
2007-01-05, 03:15 PM
I don't agree. Your a priest, you make people offer things to the gods and promiss to pray for them. You get something for your services from the community (prestige, the offered food and wine) and from the gods (spells).

Spoken like a true Unbeliever. The gods of most pantheons are petty and jealous, and would NEVER share their power with anyone who wasn't a true believer. Serving more than one deity does not a true believer make. I agree with Mewtarthio

Maglor_Grubb
2007-01-05, 04:31 PM
And what do you think a true believer is, then? Someone who thinks only his god, the god of farming, is important and the others are not? You could have a priest of the gods, not of one specific. Small town, just one temple, for all gods. (called it the pantheon, those copycats) 1 priest serving here, keeping the temple clean, praying and meditating. During the dry summer, he prays mostly to the god of rain, but in other times of the year other gods are dominant. He is regarded as very wise and close to the gods, but is not a true believer. The gods don't trust him. He serves more than one, prays to more than one. I say, most priests serve their community first, gods second.

Than you have another religion, not a polytheism this time, but a more dual focussed religion. It has two gods who complement eachother in creation and care for creation. Maybe they're a couple. Yes, a couple, who created the universe and mankind as their children and should be regarded as Divine Parents. This religion has a priest, a very dedicated priest, who seeks to spread the word of his religion, claiming the other religions are heathen and bad. Everybody should pray to the Two Gods, to the first for the things he stands for, to the second for all other things. He does so himself very carefully, thanking the first god for his meal and the second for his water before he eats or drinks anything. This is not a true believer? I'd say he is. Of both gods.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-05, 04:42 PM
Good example, but you managed to contradict the purpose of the thread. A cleric is not a priest, and does not fill the same role. A priest may worship them both, as may a cleric, but a cleric is dedicated to a single god. Clerics are those people who choose to dedicate themselves body and soul to the purposes of a god's will, and though it is possible to respect the will of another god, you are not dedicated to that one. If you want to break the mold, then worship both, but if you want both domains, multiclass into cleric/cleric, if that's possible, or simply roleplay it. The idea does not work well as a feat, in my opinion.

Athenodorus
2007-01-05, 04:50 PM
What if the feat also enabled picking a third domain? Too overpowered?

ampcptlogic
2007-01-05, 05:06 PM
I've wondered about this. Take a specific example: Ehlonna and Corellon Larethian in a Forgotten Realms context. Complimentary domains, close alignments, and apparently fairly permanently allied with one another.

Would it be possible for a cleric (maybe multiclassed into something else, like Ranger) to worship both and gain power from both? I somehow doubt that one is going to get terribly bent about the other being worshipped. Then again, Corellon Larethian being a Greater god and all, may or may not grant spells in the first place.

Scorpina
2007-01-05, 05:08 PM
Makes sense to me, but would only be useful in a world like Faerun where you can only be a divine caster by having a patron. There's precident for multiple patronage in FR as well, in the form of PrCs worshiping two or more deities...

I likes it, I does.

magic8BALL
2007-01-07, 06:21 AM
...yeah... nah...

...If you are a cleric you are devoted entierly to a diety or ideal.
...If you are devoted entierly to more than one diety, you are devoted to a pantheon.

...So what is the benifit of the feat...? Unless you wish to restrict clerics of pantheons to those who have this feat (wich may need tweaking: the Goliath pantheon has 5 or so dietys, as do so many other races, according the respective "Races of ..." books).