PDA

View Full Version : Is this balanced?

Cowboy_ninja
2006-12-19, 10:29 PM
im assuming this is the forum to post stuff you make up and have them rated for fairness and balance. so heres a feat i made ( though it has no name yet):

Benefit: you can use any melee weapon you are currently weilding as a substitute for any material components of focuses that cost 1/4 of the weapon's cost. For example if you are holding a great sword you may cast spells w/o material components or focuses costing 12.5 GP. the weapon does not get destroyed in the process of casting a spell. you do threaten the area around you with the weapon. If the weapon is a two handed weapon you may hold the weapon in one hand temporarily allowing you to cast spells that are less than a full found action. you must be proficient with the weapon.

what you gusy think? anything i forgot? anything unbalanced that i need to fix?

StickMan
2006-12-19, 10:51 PM
You seem to have posted this twice. But here is what I said on the other one just so you'll see it for sure.

No that is hugely overpowered. You total skip the cost of what your casting and cost for many spells is a balance. Once you get a magic weapon you can cast truly powerful spells at no cost to your self. Spells that have costly componets have them for a balance, and this feat total gets rid of that.

Even if its no magical a spell caster with this feat will have far more money then one with out it. If you cast say 10 spells that cost the given 12.5 GP then you have saved 125 GP over some one with out it. Cast that spell 100 times and you've saved 1250GP. Once you get you weapon magic and higher level spells its like your printing your own money.

jlousivy
2006-12-20, 02:52 AM
I agree, the focus's i can sorta see.... but i'd say that'd be more of a crafting thing (craft the focuses into the weapon in some way?) but even then that's a little gray.
+5 greatsword--- 50,000gp + masterwork greatsword
12,500gp off of material components = free ressurections, free stoneskin, free forcecage --- the list goes on

It's a good idea, but the spells have a focus for a reason (they are usually a bit more powerful)
i'd just get a bracelet of focuses (custom magic item) ---shrinks focuses to a 'dime sized'' shape and enlarges as you cast the spell, in addition allows you to have the focus hanging from your wrist (so a spell with no somatic components could be done with full-hands)