PDA

View Full Version : (d&d 3.5) Lizardfolk druid without the spells

Theafroscotsman
2013-08-30, 08:42 AM
My DM has insisted that magic is to be used as little as possible, So I thought It would be possible to make a totally reliant wild shape druid that's all about the wild shape and being reliant on melee attacks and manipulating opponents.
I'd like some help on feats/skills I should look into and other useful tidbits I should know.
Keep in mind I'm fairly new to d&d, so If you are going to use abbreviations please explain what they are xD

Thanks in advance!

Blackhawk748
2013-08-30, 08:47 AM
If you wanna be a Druid who just wildshapes, then dont be a Druid, be a Wild Shape Ranger. You'll still get spells but your DM will probably be happier that you have less of them. On top of this you have full Base Attack progression and your a freaking ranger! Sadly i dont remember what book its in, probably Unearthed Arcana, im sure someone else on here knows.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-30, 08:48 AM
If you just want wildshape I would suggest Wildshape Ranger variant (trade combat style for Wildshaping as a druid, but only small and medium animals), the chassis is much better for direct combat and there are some pretty strong animals that fall in that range (fleshraker is one example). You can also go to Master of the Many Forms (Complete Adventurer IIRC) which gives you even more forms like giants, dragons, etc.

I would also avoid Lizardfolk, their Racial hit die and LA make them weaker than other races, however if you are dead set on playing a Lizardfolk a Poisondusk (Monster Manual 3) is a decent alternative since it only has LA +1.

Edit: I forgot, Wildshape Ranger is indeed in unearthed arcana and the SRD under the variant rules section.

Blackhawk748
2013-08-30, 09:02 AM
Lizardfolk are pretty good, if your DM doesnt make you take the Racial Hit Dice, my group agrees that the +1 Lvl Adjustment is enough to balance them, as the biggest bonus they get is a +5 Natural Armor bonus, which is pretty awesome but not game shattering.

Edit: Also there are several feats that can change what you wildshape into, Aberration Wild Shape, Frozen Wild Shape, Dragon Wild Shape, etc.

Aberration is in Lords of Madness i think
Frozen is in Frostburn
And Dragon is either in Dragon Magic or Races of the Dragon, im not sure.

Theafroscotsman
2013-08-30, 09:09 AM
The +5 natural armour was a selling point for me for lizardfolk, As the background for my character was going to be pretty nomadic and tribal, getting useful trinkets or maybe armour along the way.

Should I bother using weapons or would natural weapons be enough with some sort of feat?
I've also been given 2500 gp to buy a magic item of sorts, If any come to mind :P

Blackhawk748
2013-08-30, 11:38 AM
If your wildshaping dont bring a weapon along, and grab the Amulet of the Mighty fists, though i dont think you can afford it yet.

Deophaun
2013-08-30, 11:49 AM
The +5 natural armour was a selling point for me for lizardfolk,
But if you're going to be wild shaping, you're going to lose that in favor of whatever natural armor the creature you wild shaped into has. So, that wouldn't be a selling point for me.