PDA

View Full Version : What d&d creature(s)/template(s), create -IT-, from Stephen King's IT.

killem2
2013-08-30, 11:36 AM
My biggest hump I'm dealing with is how to translate the worst fears to reality thing, in addition to the rest. :smallsigh:

Segev
2013-08-30, 01:49 PM
A phasm with levels of Telepath and the powers Psionic Suggestion and Read Thoughts. It uses the Suggestion to do such things as Suggest that their greatest fear is right behind them, then Read Thoughts to pick up their immediate mental image of what that is. Then it turns into that and makes an Intimidate check with whatever Circumstance bonuses the DM deems appropriate (I'd say at LEAST a +2, but probably +4. Maybe as high as +6 or +8.) It should probably know Demoralize and other such powers. I'd suggest Fear or Cause Fear, but I don't think there are Psi equivalents.

killem2
2013-09-01, 08:53 AM
Thanks, this is awesome, I didn't even know this create existed.

ksbsnowowl
2013-09-01, 11:01 AM
Gray Jester, Heroes of Horror.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-01, 02:39 PM
It uses the Suggestion to do such things as Suggest that their greatest fear is right behind them
I, ah... I'm not sure that's how Suggestion works. Using Read Thoughts and then illusion/summon abilities, though...

sabelo2000
2013-09-02, 04:27 AM
I love this concept, absolutely go for it. However, this relies as much on your players and their reaction to it... also, how are you going to set this up? Will this be a group encounter, and you tell one player "Okay, now what is your character's greatest fear" and they all have to fight that, or will the It-phasm prey on them one by one? This monster will definitely work much better if you have good roleplayers that can actually PLAY their characters' fear, instead of just saying, "Oh, well my greatest fear is scorpions. Oh, there's a giant scorpion attacking me now. I hit it with my greataxe."

Vaz
2013-09-02, 05:10 AM
I, ah... I'm not sure that's how Suggestion works. Using Read Thoughts and then illusion/summon abilities, though...

How is that not how suggestion works? Tell them that their worst fear is behind them- this conjures up the thoughts of the worst fear to the front of the brain. Then you read thoughts to determine their worst fear, and turn into the creature.

Admittedly, you'd need some action economy screwing to get it all in one time, but you're a Psion/Ardent. That is easily done.

This works better with Linked Power Greater Metamorphosis, however, and doesn't have to be a Phasm (and can be achieved by Ardent 9/X5/Ardent +1

Segev
2013-09-05, 12:51 PM
The use of Suggestion is just to really drive home that they're going to think about it. You could do the same just with a bluff or even mentioning "your worst fear."

You can even combine the Suggestion's "your worst fear is right behind you" with an actual action of "so you don't want to turn around."

No, it doesn't make LOGICAL sense; if a threat is right behind you, you WANT to look so you can see and be prepared. But people often refuse to look at something that they're scared of, so as a Suggestion, it's probably quite powerful. This lets you have enough time to Read Thoughts and shift to the proper form.