PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best forum for "Neat Ideas"

johnbragg
2013-08-30, 02:15 PM
Sometimes I have an idea or a concept. It's not tied to any particular game or edition. It's not big enough to be worldbuilding or system-building.

One example is an explanation for why dragons love treasure.

It's counterintuitive in a way-- they can't (don't) mine and smelt metals themselves and, lacking hands in their natural form, basically can't use it. I was inspired by Eric Cartman of South Park saying "Oh, yes, let me taste your tears they're so sweet and yummy!" Dragons (especially evil dragons) feel the same way about sentient beings, and enjoy claiming treasure as tribute. The dragons love their piles of gold and gems and art objects and misc magic because it "tastes" like the sorrow of the humanoids who brought it as tribute. This also explains the trope of the young maiden/princess in distress--young girls "taste" better because females evoke more sympathy and sadness than males, and younger evokes more sympathy than older. Similarly, accept a peasant girl as tribute and a village weeps. Claim a princess and a kingdom weeps.

I just read a political column that used the phrase "Hurricane of Fists" and immediately thought it would be a neat spell, and thought of how to balance it--spell creates Caster Level energy fists which attack the target using the base attack of a fighter of the same caster level, striking for 2 or 3 points damage each. (So get a handful of d20s together and roll!)

Any advice on where random neat ideas would be most welcome?

The Dark Fiddler
2013-08-30, 03:16 PM
If you're certain you want to discuss the ideas in the context of a roleplaying game it would probably go best in Roleplaying Games, a subforum if it WERE system specific. Your spell idea, though, would probably belong more in Homebrew Design; your dragon idea might also fit there as well, though without mechanics Roleplaying Games may or may not be better.

Studoku
2013-08-31, 07:45 PM
Discussing why dragons love treasure could go in Roleplaying Games or Media Discussion, depending on whether you're focussing on dragons in roleplaying games or if you want to include all relevant films, literature, etc.

The spell idea goes in Homebrew Design.

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-31, 08:24 PM
Discussing why dragons love treasure could go in Roleplaying Games or Media Discussion, depending on whether you're focussing on dragons in roleplaying games or if you want to include all relevant films, literature, etc.

The spell idea goes in Homebrew Design.Sheriff: This. And any reference to the "political column" is probably best left outside the Playground.