PDA

View Full Version : Fists of Sunder

Arkusus
2013-08-30, 02:41 PM
So, here's the question...

Is there any way to get adamantine fists? I know how to either turn unarmed attacks into lethal damage, or get natural attacks, or whatever, but I want to know if it's possible to build a build (not a practical build, but an interesting one) that can... without any weapon, run up and punch weapons and shields into dust?

Even without "adamantine fists", are there any viable ways to create a character that does not use weapons (gauntlets count as weapons, but cloth or leather gloves I could probably accept) but can still reliably hit and destroy weapons and shields (and other equipment) held by enemy characters?

I know at least a few good feats and builds for sundering with a weapon, but don't know how to translate everything to an unarmed build. Any tips on that regard are also welcome.

skyth
2013-08-30, 02:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stoneskin gives DR 10/Adamantine. If you have DR of something, you are considered to have that for natural weapons when bypassing other DR.

So if you have stoneskin on, you should be able to do it?

Arkusus
2013-08-30, 02:56 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stoneskin gives DR 10/Adamantine. If you have DR of something, you are considered to have that for natural weapons when bypassing other DR.

I have never heard that rule... If that was the case, it would be easy to have a Warforged with the Adamantine Body feat to achieve this goal, but aside from a DM ruling that it sounds fine, I've never heard that it actually applies to natural attacks...

If you can give me a quote saying that, then that would be awesome

Also... wouldn't stoneskin give you... well, "Stone" skin? Lots of things are vulnerable to adamantine weapons that aren't themselves adamantine. Clay Flesh and Iron golems for instance.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-30, 02:57 PM

That's only for DR/magic and DR/epic.

Drogorn
2013-08-30, 03:00 PM
How about an unarmed swordsage focusing on Stone Dragon? Stone Dragon has a lot of stuff that ignores damage reduction and hardness.

Arkusus
2013-08-30, 03:07 PM
How about an unarmed swordsage focusing on Stone Dragon? Stone Dragon has a lot of stuff that ignores damage reduction and hardness.

Stone Dragon is quite nice... Ancient Mountain Hammer for instance would definitely qualify, and is within reach of the build I had in mind... It requires a maneuver, but it is pretty awesome even without the DR piercing.

Thank you very much my good sir.

Any other ideas?

Ignominia
2013-08-30, 03:10 PM
Monk 16th level Ki Strike

Ki Strike (Su)
At 4th level, a monk’s unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. Her unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character’s monk level. At 10th level, her unarmed attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. At 16th level, her unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction and bypassing hardness.

Arkusus
2013-08-30, 03:30 PM
Monk 16th level Ki Strike

That's pretty cool, I missed that when reading over the monk. I wish it didn't require so much investment though, as I usually try for around 12th level builds, and typically multi-class when making a melee build, but that is definitely worth taking note of, thanks.

unseenmage
2013-08-30, 03:37 PM
Play an Awakened Animated Object that was created with the craft Construct feat instead of just the Animate Objects spell.

Be made of Adamantine.

Arkusus
2013-08-30, 03:42 PM
Play an Awakened Animated Object that was created with the craft Construct feat instead of just the Animate Objects spell.

Be made of Adamantine.

The Adamantine Avenger will rise...

unseenmage
2013-08-30, 03:47 PM
The Adamantine Avenger will rise...

Hey, don't knock it. Animated Object and Minor Servitor Adamantine statues nearly killed a party I DMed for once. They were surprisingly difficult to dispatch. :smallbiggrin:

Azoth
2013-08-30, 04:21 PM
I think there is a glove or ring in the MIC that let's your unarmed strike count as adamantine.

It is (something) of adamantine touch.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-30, 04:22 PM
Ring of adamantine touch, MIC, 6000gp: "When worn, this adamantine ring allows the wearer to make melee weapon attacks and natural attacks as though wielding an adamantine weapon."