PDA

View Full Version : What's the title of the latest book...

St Fan
2013-08-30, 05:20 PM
Seriously, this chapter is coming to an end, and yet I see no speculating thread with this primordial question...

What will the latest book be named? Another pun or reference, probably, but to what...?

Come on, don't be shy, give us your silly ideas....

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-08-30, 05:39 PM
CON with the wind.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-30, 05:41 PM
Last time we had a thread like this there was a flame war about tiers.

Blood, Sweat and Tiers

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-08-30, 05:46 PM
So, if I have more ideas, should I post them in my first post (kind of scumbaggy as it gives the impression of me having loads of brilliant ideas at once in the second post of the thread, as if I can come up with awesome puns on demand) or make a new post for each new idea (kind of scumbaggy as it clutters up the thread)?

Zmeoaice
2013-08-30, 06:30 PM
I heard some people say Blood, Sweat, and Tears, or a variation of that.

Agnostik
2013-08-30, 06:32 PM
I heard some people say Blood, Sweat, and Tears, or a variation of that.Yeah, this seems like a good and logical choice.

martianmister
2013-08-30, 07:26 PM
The Land of Blood, Sweat and Tears.

Solse
2013-08-30, 09:04 PM
The Land of Blood, Sweat and Tears.

LOBSAT. Unless you weren't making a Homestuck reference, in which case this post means nothing.

Geordnet
2013-08-30, 09:25 PM
I heard some people say Blood, Sweat, and Tears, or a variation of that.
How about the missing noun from the reference, Toil?

FujinAkari
2013-08-30, 10:06 PM
Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales.

... what? You asked about the latest book, not the next one :)

Clyner
2013-08-30, 10:21 PM
Considering that we're getting close to the end, I'd bet on something simple, yet meaningful...

Family.

With a cover picture of Tarquin, Elan, and Nale riding a triceratops together :smallsmile:

Tom Lehmann
2013-08-30, 10:37 PM
Close. My vote:

Family Matters

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-30, 10:49 PM
The Order of the Stick Coloring Book 2

In order to cut the cost of the book due to its size, everything will be black-and-white line art. The paper will be low-quality, too.

TheYell
2013-08-30, 11:15 PM
Probably no chance it would be "Same Old ****s"

Zmeoaice
2013-08-30, 11:17 PM
How about the missing noun from the reference, Toil?

Or Blood, fo (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0761.html)il (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0819.html), tears, and sweat.

is_Wayside
2013-08-30, 11:36 PM
I've heard "Blood, Sweat, and Tiers" a few times.

137beth
2013-08-31, 12:26 AM
I've heard "Blood, Sweat, and Tiers" a few times.

I really hope there's a bonus strip in which Roy explains the Tier system:The Tier System is a vaguely defined concept that allows people to argue about it without knowing what they are arguing about, and to argue about whether they are arguing about the tier system, whether it makes sense, whether it is relevant, or whether any of those previous arguments are meaningful, or whether any of those arguments are happening. About halfway through this explanation, Belkar stabs something.

ORione
2013-08-31, 12:34 AM
I'd bet that blood would be in it. There's a lot of it in this book.

Elan and Haley's blood relatives show up.
The Draketeeth's blood dooms them.
The Empire of Blood
Vampires
Many people die (and thus spill blood).

B. Dandelion
2013-08-31, 01:28 AM
The Unjust Deserts.

oppyu
2013-08-31, 01:32 AM
The One Where Elan's Childlike Innocence is Smashed With A Hammer

Saturosian
2013-08-31, 01:46 AM

Starring Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Book?

Dracon1us
2013-08-31, 02:10 AM
-family ties
-just an illusion
-A little more than kin, and less than kind.

rgd20
2013-08-31, 02:31 AM
Blood Ties.

Antipode
2013-08-31, 03:42 AM

Someone finally manned up enough to tell him Phoebe was a better singer.

Aolbain
2013-08-31, 05:24 AM
Empire strikes Bard.

Ceaon
2013-08-31, 05:47 AM
"Dun-Dun-Dune"?
"The Good, The Bad, and the Neutral"?
"Once Upon a Time in the Western Continent"?
"Linear Developments"?

DiamondHooHaMan
2013-08-31, 06:18 AM
how about "Blood! war! what is it good for?"

Sime
2013-08-31, 07:35 AM
I'll reply as i did the last time: Sands of the Father

Kish
2013-08-31, 07:51 AM
I do not believe the title is going to either spoiler "This book will prominently involve someone's father," "This book will primarily focus on the Linear Guild*," or "There are vampires in this book." Nor do I believe it will simply repeat a single joke enclosed in the volume (such as the joke in the Empire names, with or without throwing in an Internet term like "tiers" to "make it D&D").

"The Unjust Deserts" or "Blood Ties" are possibilities.

Nilan8888
2013-08-31, 08:19 AM
Let's see...

1. Desert Setting
2. Introduction of villainous father
3. Settling of accounts between brothers
4. Numerous Star Wars References

How about this turn of phrase for the SW fans out there:

"OOTS Book 5: Sun of the Sons"

GuySmiley1970
2013-08-31, 08:27 AM
How about "Foreign Relations"? With Tarquin (in helmet) on cover.

The Pilgrim
2013-08-31, 09:40 AM
"Dim Sun" would had been a great name, if only the Giant hadn't already used it for a bonus PDF.

Death by DM
2013-08-31, 10:03 AM
Blood, Sweat, and Tiers
Not a Family Guy
Sands of Quality Time
Death in the Desert, Blood on the Sand
Lines, Signs, and Family Times
Thief and Bard
Evil Fingers on a Dagger
I'll Make a Hero Out of You

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-08-31, 10:13 AM
how about "Blood! war! what is it good for?"

Good god, y'all.

Anyways, I say Lonesome Shove, with the cover being Tarquin defenestrating Halley.

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-31, 12:12 PM
Probably no chance it would be "Same Old ****s"

"Same old Sands"?

Though I think the REAL title of the book will be "The Order of the Stick." And then there'll be a subtitle like all the other books have.

JSSheridan
2013-08-31, 12:13 PM
Breaking All Illusions

rgrekejin
2013-08-31, 12:35 PM
The High Price of Yummies No, not really.

Silverionmox
2013-08-31, 12:49 PM
Blood runs thicker than sand.

But really, "Blood, Sweat and Tears" wraps the whole book together so nicely that Rich'd be daft not to use it.

bguy
2013-08-31, 12:52 PM
For Want of a Nale

Porthos
2013-08-31, 01:14 PM

But really, "Blood, Sweat and Tears" wraps the whole book together so nicely that Rich'd be daft not to use it.

Just like he'd be daft not to use A Tale of Two Parties for Book Four, amirite? :smallwink:

NB: That was one of his considerations for Book 4. But he ended up going with Don't Split the Party, in part, because he wanted to get away from 'making a pun on Classical Literature/Pop Culture' for a bit.

Didn't last long as Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales showed. :smalltongue: But it is noteworthy, I think, that he doesn't always want a Pop Culture reference in the title.

Goosefeather
2013-08-31, 01:29 PM
"Laws of Thermodynamics and Principles of Relativity".

Koo Rehtorb
2013-08-31, 01:30 PM
I'd bet a few dollars on Blood Ties.

M.A.D
2013-08-31, 02:13 PM
Seems that everybody's agreeing on having Tarquin on the cover. Hmm.. how about Land of the lost Fathers? Coz I count at least 3 in this book.

Dude, I really don't think it's nice to make comments relating to someone's intelligence with regards to titles which he may or may not use something as a title for his future book.

Goosefeather
2013-08-31, 02:34 PM
Dude, I really don't think it's nice to make comments relating to someone's intelligence with regards to titles which he may or may not use something as a title for his future book.

I think you might be over-reacting. 'Daft' in this context is pretty much synonymous with 'silly'. I highly doubt Silverionmox meant it as a serious comment on Rich's intelligence... :smallsigh:

Geordnet
2013-08-31, 11:07 PM
Seems that everybody's agreeing on having Tarquin on the cover.
I'm not. It seems too spoiler-y to have a character so easily recognized as Elan's father (even in-helmet) displayed on the front of the book. That would be even worse than a title with the word "father" in it.

Amphiox
2013-09-01, 12:27 AM
A little dark, perhaps, but:

"Family Dies"

Porthos
2013-09-01, 12:36 AM
Empire of the Sons

Hmmm. Needs work. But it nicely reflects the Elan/Nale dynamic. Should start thinking about other titles that have the word 'sun' in it....

ETA:::

House of the Rising Sons

Hmmm. Possibilities there.

Tears of the Sons?

Nah, not well enough known.

The Sons Also Rise

Awful pun. Truly awful. :smalltongue:

Kish
2013-09-01, 06:04 AM
The Sons Also Rise

Awful pun. Truly awful. :smalltongue:
And it would have people, when they got to around strip #913 in the book, expecting Nale and Elan to both be turned into vampires.

Yendor
2013-09-01, 06:27 AM
Blood and Thundershield.

Seriously though, something involving the word Blood seems likely. It's a major theme of the story arc, in more than one way.

Sir_Leorik
2013-09-01, 09:01 AM
"Blood is Thicker than Warriors"

"A Funny Star Wars Reference Goes Here"

"Blood, Sweat and Tiers"

"Unjust Deserts"

"Family Martyrs"

"Phantasmal Farce"

GuySmiley1970
2013-09-01, 11:28 AM
I'm not. It seems too spoiler-y to have a character so easily recognized as Elan's father (even in-helmet) displayed on the front of the book. That would be even worse than a title with the word "father" in it.

I'm not sure there's any other viable candidate? Every member of the Stick has had their turn on the cover except Belkar, and this is clearly not his moment. Nale had a big role to play in the book, but putting him on the cover would be an even bigger spoiler than Tarquin in his helmet (and how many people who only read the compilations are going to recognize him from one panel all the way back in Book 1?). You could put Malak on the cover maybe, but I don't think he'd be the best choice, as Tarquin greatly overshadows him. Unless Durkon gets another chance to shine on the cover (you could make an argument for Durkon since he "only" appeared on a prequel cover), Tarquin seems to be the most logical choice.

Sunken Valley
2013-09-01, 11:41 AM
I like blood ties and foreign relations.

I would make an argument that Dashing Swordsman Elan is on the cover of the book. Although he was on DCF, his character has vastly changed and this is his story. In No Cure, Roy learnt to respect his team. In War and XP's, Haley learnt to open up to people. In Don't Split, V learnt that magic isn't everything. In this book, Elan learnt that his family will never be fixed and whatever lesson he incorporates in his plan to beat Tarquin.

Book 6 will be Durkon (his character development as Vampire) and Book 7 will be Belkar (his death and redemption).

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-01, 07:25 PM
Hermanos will be the title of the book.

Goosefeather
2013-09-01, 07:46 PM
"The D&D Guide to Taxonomy"

Subheadings within the book itself would then be
- Domain
- Kingdom
- Class
- Order
- Family
- Species

(I can't think how Phylum and Genus fit in, but the rest all have suitable double meanings and implications)

Demolator
2013-09-01, 08:06 PM
Stick Wars Book V: The Linear Guild Strikes Back!

Hague
2013-09-01, 10:33 PM
Following a staggered pattern, the most likely title will be one based on either a movie or book title.

Out of all the ones I've read in this thread so far "Blood, Sweat and Tiers" is probably the one I like the most.

You could maybe make it "Brood, Sweat, and Tiers." but it kinda makes it look off. Eh.

Ninja
2013-09-01, 11:08 PM
I like "Family Matters".

Reddish Mage
2013-09-02, 08:18 AM
Following a staggered pattern, the most likely title will be one based on either a movie or book title.

Out of all the ones I've read in this thread so far "Blood, Sweat and Tiers" is probably the one I like the most.

You could maybe make it "Brood, Sweat, and Tiers." but it kinda makes it look off. Eh.

The concept of Tiers seems to me to be a bit too meta and geeky to make it into a title. How long and often has the word even been used with D&D?

littlebum2002
2013-09-02, 12:09 PM
The Mud, the Blood, and the Beer ( and the Sweat and the Tears)

SavageWombat
2013-09-02, 12:58 PM
One thing I'm sure of -

Please, please don't ask for forumites to vote on which title you should use.

137beth
2013-09-02, 01:58 PM
The concept of Tiers seems to me to be a bit too meta and geeky to make it into a title. How long and often has the word even been used with D&D?

Since 2006 IIRC. It does pose the problem that too few people would know what it was.

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-09-02, 02:06 PM
Chain Heir.

Pair of dice lost.

A separate piece.

Goosefeather
2013-09-02, 02:09 PM
Since 2006 IIRC. It does pose the problem that too few people would know what it was.

I dunno - I've never played D&D, but I still know the term from video-games, where it's used in a similar fashion. Sure, it may not be instantly recognisable to the man on the Clapham omnibus, but then the man on the Clapham omnibus probably isn't reading OotS in the first place.

To my mind, the word 'tiers' is no worse in this regard than 'XPs' or 'PCs', both of which have appeared in previous titles.

SavageWombat
2013-09-02, 02:23 PM
Now I'm confused by the "man on the Clapham omnibus."

Goosefeather
2013-09-02, 03:36 PM
Now I'm confused by the "man on the Clapham omnibus."

Ah, sorry, it's a British expression (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+man+on+the+Clapham+omnibus), kind of similar to 'the man on the street'. The average person, in other words.

Ted The Bug
2013-09-02, 03:39 PM
What do tiers really have to do with this specific book, though?

Goosefeather
2013-09-02, 03:45 PM
What do tiers really have to do with this specific book, though?

About as much as 'XPs' had to do with the war of Azure City? It's a generic D&D term that happens to play on the incredibly relevant expression 'blood, sweat and tears'.

veti
2013-09-02, 05:00 PM
I really doubt it'll be a Star Wars reference. As far as I can see, there was a brief cluster of SW jokes culminating in "I am your father", and that's pretty much where that theme ended.

About as much as 'XPs' had to do with the war of Azure City? It's a generic D&D term that happens to play on the incredibly relevant expression 'blood, sweat and tears'.

The Giant is on record as saying that most of his readers don't play D&D at all. There's some chance people in that category would be vaguely aware of the terms "PCs" and "XPs" - if, for instance, they had a friend or family member who was heavily into D&D for a while, anytime in the past 40 years - but pretty much no chance at all that they'd have heard of "tiers" in this context.

"Blood, Sweat & Tears" would be a perfectly good title in its own right. I miss the "Toil", but I can't see how it would come into the book. (One thing almost nobody in the Stickverse ever seems to do is an honest day's work - even slaves only seem to appear on panel long enough to get liberated. Note, that's not a complaint, just an observation - "toil" is simply not part of the story.)

quasit
2013-09-02, 05:10 PM
"Bonds, Swears & Ties," anyone?

137beth
2013-09-02, 05:39 PM
I really doubt it'll be a Star Wars reference. As far as I can see, there was a brief cluster of SW jokes culminating in "I am your father", and that's pretty much where that theme ended.

The Giant is on record as saying that most of his readers don't play D&D at all. There's some chance people in that category would be vaguely aware of the terms "PCs" and "XPs" - if, for instance, they had a friend or family member who was heavily into D&D for a while, anytime in the past 40 years - but pretty much no chance at all that they'd have heard of "tiers" in this context.

"Blood, Sweat & Tears" would be a perfectly good title in its own right. I miss the "Toil", but I can't see how it would come into the book. (One thing almost nobody in the Stickverse ever seems to do is an honest day's work - even slaves only seem to appear on panel long enough to get liberated. Note, that's not a complaint, just an observation - "toil" is simply not part of the story.)

Given that Goosefeather said he doesn't play D&D but knows what "tiers" refer to anyways from videogames, I can't imagine it being more confusing for non D&D players than the protagonists being referred to as Personal Computers.
I don't think there needs to be a D&D reference in the title, though.

hoff
2013-09-02, 05:42 PM
What a sand in my buttcheeks

Kish
2013-09-02, 05:43 PM
Actually, I'm not sure what video games Goosefeather is thinking of. I know plenty of ones that have official item tiers and ability tiers, but I can't think of any that have class tiers.

Goosefeather
2013-09-02, 06:10 PM
Actually, I'm not sure what video games Goosefeather is thinking of. I know plenty of ones that have official item tiers and ability tiers, but I can't think of any that have class tiers.

Off the top of my head, the communities surrounding Pokémon and Super Smash Bros both make liberal use of the term 'tiers'. The word doesn't appear in the games themselves, as far as I'm aware, but is certainly used when talking about them.

Death by DM
2013-09-02, 06:33 PM
I think that maybe, just maybe, Tarquin WON'T be on the cover. How about Nale? Some people would figure it just means that Rich has run out of Oots members to put on the cover and Nale had a fairly important role in the book. Tarquin no matter what is a spoiler that Elan meets his father because Tarquin has never played a major role in a book. He's never even appeared in a previous book except for in flashbacks. Slightly familiar face on cover means new appearance, and a really important, plot-central one. Nale only really means that at some point the Oots encounters the Linear Guild.

Edit: Just realized Belkar hasn't been on a cover yet. Just in general, anyone in the Order is a good bet for cover status.

Porthos
2013-09-02, 07:23 PM
Character Cover Outline (In Publication Order)
Dungeon Crawlin Fools: Elan
On the Origin of PCs: Durkon
No Cure for the Paladin Blues: Roy
Start of Darkness: Redcloak
War and XPs: Haley
Don't Split the Party: Vaarsuvius
Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales: The Snail

There are only six members of the order, and there will be seven 'main' books. So either at least one will repeat (two if one counts OtOoPCs), or there will be other outlined characters for one of the 'main' books.

Here's how it could play out.

Book 5: Belkar
Book 6: Vamped version of Durkon (different enough to count :smalltongue:)
Book 7: Xykon

Book 5 is a coin flip between Belkar and Durkon, IMO (if one discounts Elan as already having one being on DCF). Then again, DStP was a coin flip between Belkar and Vaarsuvius for the longest time until V went coo-coo for coca puffs in the last third of the book.

Book 6 might have the spotlight on Durkon 2.0. Or, if the little ankle biter bites it, it could still be Belkar.

Book 7, if it is the final confrontation? Well, Xykon might be a natural. Or perhaps The Snarl? Lots of possibilities that far out.

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-02, 08:59 PM
Book 5: Belkar & Mr. Scruffy
Book 6: Blackwing
Book 7: Xykon

Book -2: Nale
Book -3: Tarquin

Then all the main story books would have the characters who I imagine will have the most appearances by the end of the comic.

Excise
2013-09-02, 09:09 PM
Tarquin no matter what is a spoiler that Elan meets his father because Tarquin has never played a major role in a book. He's never even appeared in a previous book except for in flashbacks.

If you wanted to avoid significant spoilers you could just put Tarquin in his helmet. Then it's just "The OoTS will meet some dude with a cool helmet".

RadagastTheBrow
2013-09-02, 10:05 PM
Considering the length, War and PC's might be viable. (Yes, yes, it's already been done.)

I also kinda like Lied, Damned Lies, and Conjurations. (Or Illusions, or something like that. It could fit. Maybe)

137beth
2013-09-02, 10:12 PM
If you wanted to avoid significant spoilers you could just put Tarquin in his helmet. Then it's just "The OoTS will meet some dude with a cool helmet".

Nope, we saw Tarquin with his helmet on in strip 50.

Porthos
2013-09-02, 10:21 PM
Nope, we saw Tarquin with his helmet on in strip 50.

It's hardly a 'significant spoiler' if the dude shows up in the first fifth of the book. That's like someone showing up 20 minutes into a 100 minute movie. No reason a character like that can't appear on a poster or trailer for said movie.

Same principle here.

There's also the credo of "It's not a spoiler if TPTB want you to know."

Finally, if someone remembers a one-shot panel from hundreds of strips ago/several books ago, they'll also be expecting to run into him on the Western Continent anyways.

Personally I think the Tarquin = Spoiler idea is overrated. Rich might feel differently, but I can see room for him not to consider it a spoiler.

Now Malack being a Vampire? THAT is a spoiler. :smallwink:

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-02, 10:28 PM
To be fair, the helmet from #50 is a different helmet (or perhaps a different glamer) than the one seen throughout Book 5 (other than the flashback in #725 and the Thog illusion).

Geordnet
2013-09-03, 12:13 AM
It's hardly a 'significant spoiler' if the dude shows up in the first fifth of the book. That's like someone showing up 20 minutes into a 100 minute movie. No reason a character like that can't appear on a poster or trailer for said movie.
That depends a lot upon the content of the book/movie. For instance, I know of one author infamous for changing the protagonist in the first fifth of one of his books. *COUGH* GRRM *COUGH*

Putting the latter character on the front of the book (presuming that the readers would recognize him) would have rather tipped the author's hand there, don't you think?

Finally, if someone remembers a one-shot panel from hundreds of strips ago/several books ago, they'll also be expecting to run into him on the Western Continent anyways.
Unless they only remembered because they saw him on the front cover. That's the way it was with me: I'd forgotten completely about where Elan and Nale's father had gone until #723 -although I had a strong feeling of familiarity about him in #722. If I hadn't been reading archivally and had some time between seeing Tarquin (in armor) and the reveal, I probably would have figured it out. The same would have happened if I were reading the books and saw his picture on the cover.

Personally I think the Tarquin = Spoiler idea is overrated.
Think of it this way: anyone whom would have enjoyed the surprise reveal would have their enjoyment lessened by having Tarquin on the cover.

Then again, a helmeted Tarquin would be vague enough to possibly pique curiosity without fully tipping Rich's hand, so...

Book 6: Vamped version of Durkon (different enough to count :smalltongue:)

No, no, no! That would be a horrible spoiler! :smalleek:

That's possibly the worst thing Rich could ever put on the cover of one of his books, other than the true form of the MitD. :smallyuk:

Ted The Bug
2013-09-03, 12:36 AM
Actually, about vampDurk, I was wondering what Rich would do about having the whole team on the cover if he stays undead.

FlawedParadigm
2013-09-03, 12:42 AM
Actually, about vampDurk, I was wondering what Rich would do about having the whole team on the cover if he stays undead.

My initial guess would be to not put the whole team on the cover until at least the next book.

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-03, 12:45 AM
Durkon will be alive on the cover of Book 5, just like how Roy wasn't a corpse on the cover of Book 3.

Durkon will be undead on the cover of Book 6 (and probably Book 7), just like how Roy was a ghost on the cover of Book 4. Though to be fair, Roy's ghost isn't as spoilery because it could be a hologram/sending spell/some sort of projection.

Porthos
2013-09-03, 12:47 AM
Think of it this way: anyone whom would have enjoyed the surprise reveal would have their enjoyment lessened by having Tarquin on the cover.

You mean the outline that is barely noticeable unless you look for it?

That one? :smallwink:

'sides, it ain't a spoiler if the author wants you to know ahead of times.

Second 'sides Darth Helmet was in for one, ONE, strip before he took off his hat. Hardly a buildup, I think. :smallwink:

No, no, no! That would be a horrible spoiler! :smalleek:

That's possibly the worst thing Rich could ever put on the cover of one of his books, other than the true form of the MitD. :smallyuk:

But Durkon would have gotten vamped the previous book. :smallconfused: :smallconfused: :smallconfused: I'm talking about Durkon being the Outline Character for either Book 6 or Book 7.

Look at the cover for DStP. (http://www.giantitp.com/GIPOTS04.html) Roy dead. Party being split in twain. But that ain't spoilers because it was showing things that happened in previous books.

Also, again, I am talking about the faint character outline that is seen in the background. Admittedly it has a much more noticable view on the inside cover. But it's still not that much.

Also, thrice, do you think Durkon will never be on the 'snapshot' part of the covers for Book 6 or Book 7 (i.e. the part in the center)?

Or are you saying he'll have his back turned ala Paul is Dead for The Beatles or sumthing? :smalltongue:

Geordnet
2013-09-03, 01:23 AM
Second 'sides Darth Helmet was in for one, ONE, strip before he took off his hat. Hardly a buildup, I think. :smallwink:
That's exactly the point: it's sudden, out of the blue. :smalltongue:

But Durkon would have gotten vamped the previous book. :smallconfused: :smallconfused: :smallconfused:
The problem is, the covers of all the books are easily visible to people whom haven't read even one of them before. So you have to be careful about what details you put on them, especially in places where they can readily be seen by accident.

I'm talking about Durkon being the Outline Character for either Book 6 or Book 7.
Oh; well that's different. (I don't own any of the books, and thus had forgotten how the covers were laid out. I thought you were talking about a larger full portrait.)

Look at the cover for DStP. (http://www.giantitp.com/GIPOTS04.html) Roy dead. Party being split in twain. But that ain't spoilers because it was showing things that happened in previous books.
No, they are spoilers. Just not as huge or serious as vampire Durkon would be (a split party and even normal death are much more easily fixed).

Also, thrice, do you think Durkon will never be on the 'snapshot' part of the covers for Book 6 or Book 7 (i.e. the part in the center)?
I'm not sure. Depending on the next two books' contents, Book 6 could have Durkon in a coffin (still a major spoiler, but not nearly as severe as a woken Durkula would be). But if Durkula is to remain on for both books, then having him on the cover may be unavoidable. At least it isn't nearly as bad when he's only one character among many...

(Also, I don't think that Durkula will ever be an outline character. I'd expect to see Tarquin, Celia, or someone else before that.)

Sunken Valley
2013-09-03, 03:58 AM
Dashing Swordsman Élan will be book 5. It's his story.

Durkon can have book 6, Belkar book 7 and Nale book -2.

Porthos
2013-09-05, 12:49 AM
It's a shame that Rich seems to have some (understandable) antipathy to being compared to GRRM because I think I might have just come upon a perfect title for Book 5 given the developments over the last third of the book or so:

A Song of Blood and Sand

Or, alternatively,

A Tale of Blood and Sand

if 'Song' is just too damn close to You Know What. :smallwink:

Song = Elan. Tale could reference Elan or Tarquin. Or both. Blood = Malack and the EoB. And, well, Sand is fairly obvious.

If the title is anything close to this I'm claming some cookies. :smalltongue:

Ted The Bug
2013-09-05, 01:24 AM
Tale could reference Elan or Tarquin.

Tale = Tarquin + Nale. Malack had a tail.

Boom.

Shred-Bot
2013-09-05, 03:00 PM
What about How to Summon Fiends and Execute People?

Rogar Demonblud
2013-09-05, 04:26 PM
Personally, I'd keep it simple with Blood and Sand, but that would raise the issue of which movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_and_Sand) the Giant is referencing.

((I'd go with the first, just for the Valentino cameo.:smallbiggrin:))

AKA_Bait
2013-09-05, 04:38 PM
Some suggestions (which I don't think have been given):

Fatherland (given the daddy issues)
Deserted (referring to V's absence and perhaps Durkon's in a bit)
Don't 'B' a Villain (should be obvious)

Irenaeus
2013-09-05, 05:51 PM
Strings of the Father

or

The OOTS strip compilation Book 5: The Daddy Issues

Goosefeather
2013-09-05, 06:07 PM
How about Britishising it?

"Bloody Deserts!" :smalltongue:

El Grapadura
2013-09-05, 06:22 PM
In defense of "Blood, Sweat ant Tiers":

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0764.html

In panel 5 the term "Tier" is used by Durkon. Given the emphasis on spellcasters in the pyramid, I don't think we can rule it out.

That said, it still may be a bit obtuse of a reference for the average reader, and whatever Rich comes up with is his business and will most likely be something clever that none of us thought of. (If my experience with the Forum thusfar is any indication :smalltongue:)

ZLordZ
2013-09-05, 06:26 PM
The Tropes of Doom

This title might apply better to book 6, unless the recent strips still count as book 5.

kiapet
2013-09-05, 07:34 PM
I'm confused... you've been talking about spotlighted characters on the book covers, but each one in the store have the entire Order on the front.

Porthos
2013-09-05, 07:37 PM
I'm confused... you've been talking about spotlighted characters on the book covers, but each one in the store have the entire Order on the front.

Check the black background. There is an outline of a character there. :smallsmile: It's really obvious if you look on this page. (http://www.giantitp.com/Shop.html)

That character is also reprinted on the inside of the front and back cover in stamp form, dozens of time.

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-05, 07:39 PM

There's also a single character whose outline is featured behind that picture and on the back cover, inner cover pages (front and back), and title page. So far it's been:

Book 1: Elan
Book 2: Roy
Book 3: Haley
Book 4: V
Book 0: Durkon
Book -1: Redcloak
Book D: The Snail

EDIT: Porthos'd.

TheTrueMooseman
2013-09-05, 07:48 PM
A Song of Fief and Sire

...I'll show myself out.

Solse
2013-09-05, 09:13 PM
Given that Goosefeather said he doesn't play D&D but knows what "tiers" refer to anyways from videogames, I can't imagine it being more confusing for non D&D players than the protagonists being referred to as Personal Computers.
I don't think there needs to be a D&D reference in the title, though.

Reading OOtS got me interested in playing D&D. Before then, I thought that the book titles were talking about where computers came from and how war relates to Windows XP.

On a more serious note, I feel that even if one doesn't know in the slightest bit what tiers in gaming refers to, the title will still somewhat be meaningful (like tiers of a pyramid! Get it?)

Geordnet
2013-09-05, 09:20 PM
On a more serious note, I feel that even if one doesn't know in the slightest bit what tiers in gaming refers to, the title will still somewhat be meaningful (like tiers of a pyramid! Get it?)
That's exactly where the term comes from, in fact.

The notion is that some classes are "better" than others, and ergo higher up on the pyramid.

malloyd
2013-09-06, 02:30 PM
I agree Blood does seem like the central theme, metaphorical and otherwise of the book. But I think you could make a case for Illusions being a secondary one - Shattered Illusions would work pretty well.

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-06, 02:45 PM
Required Text: Introduction to Haematology by Richard Burlew, 5th Edition

Silverionmox
2013-09-06, 03:45 PM
Just like he'd be daft not to use A Tale of Two Parties for Book Four, amirite? :smallwink:

NB: That was one of his considerations for Book 4. But he ended up going with Don't Split the Party, in part, because he wanted to get away from 'making a pun on Classical Literature/Pop Culture' for a bit.

Didn't last long as Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales showed. :smalltongue: But it is noteworthy, I think, that he doesn't always want a Pop Culture reference in the title.

Blood, Sweat and Tears is versatile in that regard since it's a well-known idiom in its own right, and a Johnny Cash album and a jazz band for those who are familiar with them.

Don't split the party is an iconic quip in D&D, that's a much better choice than the alternative IMO.

I think you might be over-reacting. 'Daft' in this context is pretty much synonymous with 'silly'. I highly doubt Silverionmox meant it as a serious comment on Rich's intelligence... :smallsigh:
Of course :smallsmile: Blood, Sweat and Tears works on so many levels... plain literally; referring to the three empires; blood for the family ties and the vampires; sweat for the desert and the effort delivered; tears for the fallen and the extra tears in the fabric of reality made by the exploding gate.. No pun can possibly make up for that.

Deliverance
2013-09-06, 04:00 PM
The Tarquiniad or The Tarquineid... or some other mangling of Latin or Greek.

LadyEowyn
2013-09-06, 09:15 PM
Blood, Sweat and Tears does seem like the best option, for the reasons already mentioned.

The Kind Knido
2013-09-07, 05:48 AM
I have the one and only name for this book -

Sands of even more Sand.

Solse
2013-09-07, 07:25 AM
That's exactly where the term comes from, in fact.

The notion is that some classes are "better" than others, and ergo higher up on the pyramid.

Well, what do you know. It's less of a pun and more of a word derivation. I can't fight any more.

Heksefatter
2013-09-07, 09:03 AM
A Brief History of Scions

hopeful1212
2013-09-07, 04:45 PM
Blood. It's What's For Dinner.

RadagastTheBrow
2013-09-09, 12:57 AM
Whose Plot is it Anyway?

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-09, 08:52 AM
Sands of Crime
Tyrannic Park
Dunes, Runes and Automobiles
The Phantasmal Menace
The Vampire Strikes Back
The Return of Zz'dtri
Meet the Parents
Meet the Starshines
Empires Suck
Sprawlin' Desert Tools
No Cure for the Empire Reds
War NPCs
Don't Split the Party...Again
On the Origin of NPCs
Start of Tarquin
Strips, Nales, and Draketooth Tales

"Unjust Deserts" is probably my favorite so far. Maybe blood puns can be saved for a Linear Guild/Tarquin/IFCC prequel, but the best suggestions I've seen for such a book are "A Brief History of Crime" and "Lineage of the Guild." Or maybe "The Birds and the B-Listers."

FlawedParadigm
2013-09-09, 09:02 AM
You Were Never Going to Guess This Would Be the Title of This Book!

Corneel
2013-09-09, 10:09 AM
A fully pro bono suggestion:
(It's) Sandy! Bloody Sandy!

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-09-09, 12:34 PM
The Wall of the Child.

Because ELAN made of a wall of burning slaves; a child's name spelled by the flames as they lick the flesh of the dead and dying. The Wall Of The Child.

Or, a book with Tsusiko, Mothering Wights.

Or, in reference to Amun-Zora's late husband: The 45 44 guardsmen.

Swiss Family Robbing Son (Tarquin stabbing Nale, robbing him of life).