PDA

View Full Version : Outsider wings (the feat)

Yogibear41
2013-08-30, 05:43 PM
So I was looking at this feat and realized something, the feat allows you to fly at your land speed. But then says a medium or heavy load reduces your fly speed similar to how it would reduce your land speed. However, it says nothing about wearing armor reducing your fly speed(assuming the weight from your armor is still a light load even if it is heavy or medium armor)

Am I just dead wrong or am I in fact correct in this assumption? (only reason I realized this is do to messing around in hero forge and even while wearing heavy armor the fly speed stayed the same, and I am well aware that heroforge has its share of mistakes but I wanted to look into it to be sure.)

Text from the book for reference:
Benefit: You gain wings (feathered if an aasimar, batlike if a
tiefling), allowing you to fly at your land speed (average maneuverability).
A medium or heavy load that would reduce your land
speed reduces your fly speed a proportionate amount.

Ketiara
2013-08-30, 05:54 PM
Don't have the source, but I've always ruled that you use your base speed or better while flying be it wings or magic. If 30" is reduced to 20" because of full plate then its back to 30"movement if you fly

Edit: the way I see it. You are not reduced due to the weight but how the plates are encumbering your legs...magic flight or wings are not encumbered like that.

Baroncognito
2013-08-30, 06:37 PM
So I was looking at this feat and realized something, the feat allows you to fly at your land speed. But then says a medium or heavy load reduces your fly speed similar to how it would reduce your land speed. However, it says nothing about wearing armor reducing your fly speed(assuming the weight from your armor is still a light load even if it is heavy or medium armor)

Am I just dead wrong or am I in fact correct in this assumption? (only reason I realized this is do to messing around in hero forge and even while wearing heavy armor the fly speed stayed the same, and I am well aware that heroforge has its share of mistakes but I wanted to look into it to be sure.)

Text from the book for reference:
Benefit: You gain wings (feathered if an aasimar, batlike if a
tiefling), allowing you to fly at your land speed (average maneuverability).
A medium or heavy load that would reduce your land
speed reduces your fly speed a proportionate amount.

It says "Land Speed" rather than "Base Land Speed" So if your armour reduces your base land speed, then your Land Speed is lower.