PDA

View Full Version : A Tale Untold - Rekindle The Flame [Pathfinder]

AcidOrb
2013-08-30, 05:52 PM
It was a beautiful day in the dukedom of Haddasheim. Somewhat hot but the breeze made it bearable, especially in the shade. Willerflik is a bustle with activity, with the carnival coming to town and the bi-annual tournament taking place this very week. It is an exciting time in the city of purple and gold. Dozens of traveling caravans also have made their home in Willerflik for all the visiting knights and their entourage. Where there is coin there is profit, and profits abound this week in Haddasheim.

Ennys
2013-09-01, 11:17 PM
Kas looked down at Willerflik, still maybe a mile distant, but easily visible in the clear day. also easily audible, as the crowds gathering in the town made enough noise to be from further away than this. V grumbled a bit, disturbed by the noise. Kas scratched her head absently, his gaze still on the town.

He had been traveling for about two weeks now, since he had heard this was happening. While he had no interest in entering the tournament, the carnival might be worth checking out. And with so many people, there were bound to be people who needed help with their animals, which would provide some much needed coin. "Who knows, someone might even need help with something..."

Giving V one last scratch, he told her to stay out here where she would be more comfortable. He could always call her if there were a problem, and there was no point in causing a stir by bringing a Roc into town.

Readjusting his backpack and quiver, he set off down towards the town.

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-02, 12:18 AM
A giant colossus of metal and steel with a Greataxe strapped to its back sat quietly across from one of the entrances to Willerflik. At first it seemed completely immobile, then its head began to move. It followed dispassionately the people coming in, keeping an eye out for any darkly evil auras it could pick up.

It was Delerie. The carnival and tournament always brought in trouble, and for once she was determined to get the drop on it by detecting any possible problems so she could keep an eye on them. Unfortunately it was hot work, especially in her full plate, but she would be damned if anyone thought she would go out hunting evil without it. Even if she wasn't so much hunting evil as marking down the most evil for future observation. It was probably fruitless, in the end, but it was better than nothing.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-02, 11:09 PM
Cloaked in dark green and hooded, Xavier Cross' eyes dart across the road. They take in everyone on the street, analyzing them as he walks down the street. Blados, his loyal wolf companion, walks with him. He knows that the wolf will draw stares, but with the carnival in town there wouldn't be as many. He is here in his annual quest for employment; living off the land is good and all, but the rest of the world requires coins for one to live.

AcidOrb
2013-09-03, 02:08 AM
It's around 9:30 AM in the morning on the first day of June in Haddasheim. Unseasonably warm but it was a nice day. The trumpets and bells start sounding, denoting the start of the first fight of the day. It is a hustle and a bustle inside the city proper, people packed wall to wall. Outside the city there are merchant tents stacked five deep along the road. There don't seem to be any evil doers about, except for a few thieves and pick pockets, Del already knows about and has apprehended a few times already.

Xavier makes his way around town and doesn't see any help wanted signs out. It seems most of the inns and other establishment already hired their seasonal help. You make your way out of town to check with the halflings and other merchants and you see one tent with a employment sign out. There is one extremely attractive blonde Human, a small loud mouthed Halfling and a quiet but handsome and short for his race Hrothlox.

As Kas makes his way towards Willflik, he encounters a large stag. It looks at him and doesn't move, then stomps it left foot and snorts, then shakes his head back then to the right and left. Then it goes bounding into the forest. As he closes to the southern gate, he sees a fellow follower of Wold with a wolf companion approaching a merchants tent with an employment sign out.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-03, 03:41 PM
Xavier sighs in frustration as he passes tent after tent with no employment in sight. Blados rubs up against him, growling softly. He scratches the wolf's ears gently as he looks around more.

His eyes finally come to rest on the only tent with a "Help Wanted" sign on it. He clenches his fist in success and strides over quickly. He pulls his hood off of his head and puts on his best grin. Hello there, he says. I see from your sign that you are hiring new workers. Might I interest you in my services? I am multitalented: I can work with animals that would make a grown man shriek in terror, and my knowledge of the arcane arts is top notch. He ends with a bow of the head, swishing his cloak around him in an attempt to be flashy. He is sure it comes off a bit awkward, but he hopes nonetheless.

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-03, 04:59 PM
Delerie sighs and gets up. She might as well put the fear of Good in the hearts of some of those thieves. After all it seemed as if her goal of finding new Evil visitors was going to go about as well as fighting in the tournament with a wet noodle.

She walks towards the direction of the tents, clanking loudly as she goes. When she gets close to one of the thieves she waves them over. "What are you up to today? Because the tournament promises to be very fun, and I would hate for you to miss it." She smiles warmly as she says this, well aware that the thief wouldn't be able to actually see her smile.

AcidOrb
2013-09-03, 05:18 PM
The thief perks up at the sound of Delerie's voice and turns around and takes one look at her in her armor and purple and gold trimmings, then bolts down an alleyway.

Delerie
Initiative if you wanna give chase.

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-03, 05:48 PM
Delerie immediately gives chase, moving faster than her apparel would make one think possible.

Initiative: [roll0]

She yells out "Stop running! I won't beat you so badly. but running means your guilty of something!"

She is actually pleased, a little light cardio is always appreciated.

AcidOrb
2013-09-03, 08:58 PM
The thief keeps running, toppling barrels and other alleyway detris in your path in an attempt to slow you down.

Give me a reflex check vs DC 14 and an opposed Athletic check. If there is no such thing as athletics, make it a combined Con mod + Dex mod ability check

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-03, 09:14 PM
Any way I could just break the barrels? Considering she's a seven foot tall armor encrusted Fighter Paladin with a greataxe?
Here's my Reflex save, [roll0]
And here's the Con+Dex, since Athletics actually doesn't exist in this game, apparently. [roll1]

AcidOrb
2013-09-03, 09:20 PM
The pick pocket looks over his shoulder but continues running. You think he is headed for a short porch with a bench in front of it so he can try to escape via rooftop.

With that 24 I'll say you could kick the barrel at him, in an attempt to trip him up. Make a ranged touch attack. He rolled a seven, so that means you gain on him a little bit, even though you are wearing 50 pounds of steel and leather.

Ennys
2013-09-03, 09:30 PM
Kas wondered a little at seeing a stag so close to the city. They normally knew better than to come so close. A sign or a warning?

Still mulling it over, he looked up in time to see a man enter a merchant tent followed by a wolf. "Well that isn't something you see every day...," he thought to himself. Maybe this was what the stag had wanted him to see.

Shrugging, he entered the tent a few moments later in time to catch the last bit of the man's offer, but didn't say anything, just standing in the doorway. Depending on what this merchant might need, maybe he would offer his help as well.

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-03, 09:42 PM
Del kicks the barrel at him, and continues running as fast as she can. She pushes herself extra hard, and charges at him, attempting to tackle the man.

Ranged touch with barrel, if it hits it will be the will of the gods. [roll0]

As soon as she is close enough she's going to attempt to Grapple
[roll1]

Also, considering she can carry as a light load 400 pounds I don't think she really notices the armor.

AcidOrb
2013-09-03, 10:25 PM
Del hurries herself and grabs the pickpocket as he is climbing up to the roof, holding him up in the air by the collar of his shirt. "Let me go! I didn't do anything this time! Put me down you oafish pineapple!"

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-04, 12:49 PM
"I didn't think you did anything." She said, while searching him for any sort of contriband or stolen goods. "I was just warning you not too! But then you had to run, and of course, like a bitch (Female Dog), I had to run after you."

Del does not put him down, but turns him to face her. "Now tell me why you ran, or I will break your face." She says this last with an edge to her voice.

I'm going to take 20 on the Perception to search him, just to make him squirm. Also so I could actually have a chance to find something. That would be a 23 Perception.

And I'll roll Intimidate, also to get him to talk. [roll0]

AcidOrb
2013-09-04, 01:02 PM
You find a coin purse, but it only has a few copper and one silver coin in it so it is unlikely that it is stolen. You also find a lockpick set tucked into his belt.

"W-what? No, don't break my face! That's my money maker! You got a reputation around here that's all. I didn't want no trouble. Sorry about the oafish pineapple quip, you seem like a real nice lady."

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-04, 01:11 PM
"I take my profession seriously. IF your not up to trouble you'll get no hard time from me, mister. But. you appear to be clean. Metaphorically...no situationally clean so I'll let you go." I set him down and return his coin purse. But Del keeps a hold of the lockpicking tools. She bends, breaks, or otherwise ruins the entire set. Then she hands it back to him.

"I don't think you'll need these, since your face is your primary revenue stream, but I wanted to make sure you got them back. I don't want to steal from you or anything."

After she returns the set Del checks her own pockets, to make sure he didn't steal anything. She keeps a hand on him while doing so. If he didn't she'll just let him go. "And I like pineapple, so no offense taken."

She'll then head back to the main area, happy to have driven the fear of Paladin's into at least one man, for a little while at least.

AcidOrb
2013-09-04, 03:39 PM
Del sees a small form glowing an evil aura make its way in front of her, although clearly invisible. She follows it down the street, it takes a right and keeps on going, then takes a left and goes out the southern gate. She rounds the corner just in time to see it slip past a man at the entrance to a tent with a "Help Wanted" sign out front.

Inside the tent, Xavier notices it's about 20 degrees cooler and not as humid. The halfling is talking to the small Hruthlox man that is seated at a table. They seem to be playing a game of chess and the golden eyed Hruthlox man is beating the halfling badly, most likely just toying with him. "I know what you're doing Ze! You're just toying with me. Why can't you let sleeping dogs lie. I didn't mean to hit on her!" he pauses and takes a sip from his flask. "That was ages ago! Do you really hold a grudge that long? Just checkmate me and we can start again... Oh, hey, look new guy!" Ze pulls on the table the little halfling is leaning on and he faceplants into the grass. "That was on purpose you ninny popsicle! Oooh popcicle. I'll be right back." The halfling opens up the rear door on their wagon and disappears inside.

Ze stands up and takes a few steps towards Xavier as he makes his little shpeil. Once he is done he extends his right arm and grasps you by the forearm in the traditional greeting around these parts. He is wearing an extremely well crafted suit of full plate mail, and it seems to be made out of adamantine. He wears a small scepter/rod looking device on his left hip and you can see a small handle poking out of a pouch type thing on his right hip. "Welcome Xavier, I am Ze. This is my companion Aurora." She gives a little wave and a sly grin, then goes back to scribbing a scroll. "What exactly we're you looking to do? We need some guards for our journey north, into the Mountains of Sorrow."

Aurora pipes in, "Don't forget to tell him about the hazard pay."

"Oh right. Hazard pay of two platinum pieces a day when in the vicinity of the mountains."

Ennys
2013-09-04, 07:41 PM
At the word 'mountain', Kas enters the conversation.

"Traveling past the mountains or through them? I grew up around there and might be able to help out a bit."

Glancing over at the man beside him he says, "Of course, I don't want to take the position if there is only one offered as this gentleman did come first. But in such places, two - or more," he adds glancing at the wolf, "might make all the difference."

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-04, 07:52 PM
Del ducks into the tent, following the evil figure she saw. As soon as she is in the tent she uses detect evil on everyone in the it to see if any of them give off an aura. She also sweeps the entire tent to see if she finds the figure.

She is an imposing figure in full plate, and a helmet completely obscuring her face. Her voice is fairly deep, and it isn't necessarily clear that she is a woman. It becomes clear enough, though, as she doesn't try to hide it.

When she sees the man with the golden eyes she squints slightly, wondering to herself, does this man have greedy eyes? Gold could be greedy, but they could also just be gold.

Out loud she says, just to keep from seeming suspicious. "What sort of help are you looking for?" She does not care that her height dwarfs everyone else. She barely notices the halfling at all.

Sense Motive on the man to see if he appears greedy. Even if that is hard to tell. [roll0]

"It looks like you already have a lot of interest for this job. And hazard pay is being offered, that's quite a deal." She is hoping that just stating facts will lead everyone to believe she is actually interested in the job, when she is simply trying to explain her presence long enough to figure out if anyone is evil and/or suspicious. Also if any of them have greedy eyes.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-04, 08:02 PM
Xavier glances at the newcomer with mild annoyance, and then glares at the armored hulk that barges in after. If I may get a word in edgewise, he says. Being the first to enter the tent, and all. Guard duty sounds right up my alley, though I do have a few questions. You mention hazard pay, but is that the only pay I would be getting? How long would you say the job would last? How many people would I be guarding?

I was at work, otherwise I would've posted earlier.

AcidOrb
2013-09-04, 10:56 PM
When Del first comes into the tent, the golden eyed man's eyes glow a deep purple. He blinks once then the aura goes away. "Your normal pay is 5 gold per day, so in essence once we hit the mountains you'll be bringing in 25 gold a day. Not too shabby for guard duty if youi ask me. We'll be going straight through the Pass of Baldur's Luck and into the dwarven realms beyond. War is coming there. We have many weapons to sell to the gold dwarves. We could use all three of you, if you all want to go. We'd probably just require your services to get through the pass, once we reach dwarven realms you're free to stay on or leave as you please. Me and my companion can handle ourselves so we don't need any protecting, just the boys... Meaning the three halflings we employ. You saw one of them already. Strange that you all arrived in such short order. But please sit. Can I get you anything to drink?" says the golden eyed man, in his silky baritone.

You don't detect any deceit or greed persay, but you don't know if you trust him.

Ennys
2013-09-04, 11:06 PM
Kas remains standing, but relaxes marginally.

"That seems like a fair deal - though if you could include meals, it would be even better. You say that there is war brewing in Dwarven lands. Could you tell us a little more about that? Is it just within themselves or do you know if someone is getting ready to attack something or someone else?"

He glances over at the two people who are likely to become his companions, seeing how they respond to the questions he has posed and the information given by the merchant.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-04, 11:15 PM
Xavier nods. Meals would be excellent, although I daresay I could rustle up food wherever we travel, he says, sitting down. No liquor for me, just water; and one for Blados here, as well, he says, scratching his wolf's ears. Strange indeed, but I've never seen these people before in my life. He shrugs.

When he gets the water he takes a swig. He says, I, too, would like to hear more about the situation in the dwarven lands. Is it shaping up to be widespread?

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-04, 11:25 PM
Del ***** her head slightly. The chance to see a new land would be nice, and she was hardly the only one responsible for stopping the tide of evil in the town. There were plenty of Paladins and going out on an adventure would be an excellent opportunity to sharpen her skills. Still...

"Yes, I am very interested in hearing more about this war. Are there any dark eldritch forces behind the conflict? A demon lord, or ancient evil perhaps? Maybe even a Balrog or two?" She asks hopefully.

This man sounded like the Greedy Man she was supposed to watch out for, but why? The only way to figure it out would be to accompany him, probably. She decided to search her memory to see if she knew of anything that's eyes turned purple like his did.

Knowledge (Religion) [roll0]

AcidOrb
2013-09-04, 11:39 PM
"I cannot rightly say too much about it. It seems those dastardly gnomes are at it again. Fighting from the Labyrinth again. Heard they conquered one of the great dark elf cities. Silmil'ir if I am not mistaken. Creating a grand army of the best drow swordsman and wizards they have left. Heard they created some way to breed em and train em faster and foul magic to corrupt their souls and darken them. Turned the whole city into killing machines." Ze shakes his head. "I haven't heard anything of more sinister evil doers doing anything, but who knows. They won't get past me though." He says, then pulls out his helm with an open vertical slit in the center and a horizontal slit on top of that. Above the horizontal slit is a golden sword, the mark of the Emperor's Dreadnaught. "I am no longer, but I keep the helm for sentimental purposes. Reflected a finger of death spell off this bad boy."

Del
The only thing you can think of Del is either a Warlock or a Sorcerer with a daemonic bloodline.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-04, 11:55 PM
Xavier claps once. An experienced man! A good quality in any employer, I must say, he compliments. And that does sound a tad worrisome, I must say. But it is early into the situation yet. I look forward to working with you, Del. He offers a hand to shake as he looks at his employer more closely, seeing if he knows anything about him from tidbits he's picked up over the years.

Knowledge (Local) on Del: [roll0]
Knowledge (History) on the Emperor's Dreadnaught: [roll1]

Ennys
2013-09-05, 12:09 AM
"That does sound a little worrying. I would be happy to join the team, though I should let you know, once we get out of the city I have a companion who will be rejoining me. She doesn't care for crowds."

Reaching out to shake the man's hand as well, he added "Also, when are you interested in leaving? I know I have just arrived in town and could use a night's rest before we head out again, though I can be ready whenever you wish to leave."

While speaking Kas thinks over what he knows of the area they will have to pass through, places they can stop to resupply if necessary and get updated information.
Knowledge:Geography [roll0]

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-05, 01:25 AM
"Well, at worse this will be an interesting experience. I guess the gods desire me to take the job. I look forward to working with everyone here!" She booms and offers her hand to Ze, and to the others who are going to be her companions.

"My name is Delerie. I'm actually from this city, and am a local Paladin. The more the merrier, your companion will be a welcome addition. Unless he fights up front. Kidding. Mostly." She chuckles lightly.

AcidOrb
2013-09-05, 04:23 PM
Ze stands up and gives everyone the warriors clasp, gripping your forearm with his strong hand and shaking it. "Let me get your contracts." he says as he retreats into their wagon.

Xavier
Ze's full name is Ze Dril'yxiq. When he become an Emperor's Dreadnaught his adoptive father was a Dark Elf diplomat. Ze has many victories under his belt, both in the arena and on the battlefield. And more than his fair share of scars to back up his reputation. He took a lovely young mageling for a wife several years ago and only recently won his freedom by saving the emporor in his private bed chambers. Armed only with a full chamber pot and a letter opener, he destroyed a golem that was summoned when the emperor read a letter from a rival kingdom. Needless to say the empire is getting ready for war itself after this little fiasco. Ze was given a handsome sum from Empire's treasury and given a title.

As far as the Emperor's Dreadnaught is concerned, you know they are a order or warriors taken from the North West barbarian tribes. They are hardcore demon killers and commanders of the emperor's army.

Kas
You know the basic about the geography to the North. The great river Atreides snakes it way north through the Pass of Baldur's Luck and into the great lakes system.

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-05, 10:24 PM
Delerie turns to the others, then says. "Since we'll be companions on a journey we should all introduce ourselves. I've already introduced myself, so now its your guy's turn."

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-05, 10:54 PM
Xavier eyes the large, armored paladin idly. The name's Xavier Cross, he says, raising his glass of water. Wandering man of the woods and seeker of the arcane. This here is Blados, my faithful companion. He gestures to the wolf at his feet, who is lapping up water from a mug. You've probably never heard of where I was born.

Ennys
2013-09-05, 11:05 PM
Now standing off to one side, Kas takes cue.

"You can call me Kas, and my companion who will join us is named V. I too am a wanderer, and I do what I can to protect the wild."

Turning to Ze, "Now that we all know each other, let us see these contracts. Also, just how big is this shipment that you will be sending? And does anyone know it may be coming other than the recipient?"

AcidOrb
2013-09-06, 12:00 AM
Ze comes back out of the wagon and presents to you three each a piece of paper with a lot of writing on it. "Pretty standard contract. You lot get an equal share in the loot of any slain creatures or interlopers we might come across, minus ten percent of course. Just initial here if you want to be raised from the dead if you die under my employ and sign at the bottom by the big black X. Be sure to read it and any questions feel free to ask."

Ze takes a seat and motions for Kas to sit across from him. He starts putting all the pieces of the chess game back in order. "Care to play a game?" Then turns to the as yet unnamed young woman, "Dear, could you get me some of the whisky? Year 94 please." She puts her quill down and goes to get the very old bottle of whisky. "I love that girl. Since the first day I saw her I knew I had to make her mine. Very handy as well I might add. Anyways, as to your questions... We don't carry the goods usually. We summon them from a remote location. I just have to go there, prepare an area for summoning and use the right scroll and viola! Instant arms for an army in need. The dwarves know how to make armor, that's where I got my armor in fact. Back in the Gobbowars. I don't think anyone knows we are coming so we shouldn't expect any ambushes."

Ennys
2013-09-06, 12:29 AM
Kas takes a seat across from Ze and looks at the board.

"It has been a long time since I have played something like this, but I suppose I can try." He hesitates for a moment before moving his first piece.

"Now, since you said you two have no need of protection, and you aren't going to actually be carrying the cargo, then we are along as protection just for the halflings, correct?" He watches Ze move another piece, thinks, and then moves again before continuing.

"Who are they and what is their connection to what is going to happen?"

Int: [roll0]

AcidOrb
2013-09-06, 12:39 AM
"Oh no, there is still plenty of things to protect. We have loads of scrolls, wands, magical rings, amulets, vests, vestments, gloves gauntlets. You get the picture." He moves his bishop to take one of your knights. Then leans in close and says softly, "More than anything I worry about my girl." He straightens again and moves his rook right next to your king. "Checkmate." :smallbiggrin: "I've never been beat, only bought. I bet even you couldn't tame the beast within."

He gets up to greet his wife and kiss her, then takes the bottle of whisky and two glasses and sits down again. "Care for some or you gonna make me drink alone? It's a good year. As far as halflings, they are the ones that craft all the weapons and armor for me, and gather the needed supplies and reagents. They are very dear to me, even if I give em a hard time sometimes. I treat em good though don't let earlier fool you. He had to much to drink."

Ze grabs you by the collar and pulls close to you then whispers, "The better question is who is V? Then he drinks his a glass of whisky and lets go and sits back.

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-06, 01:08 AM
Delerie eyes the drink the man offers with extreme distaste. Thankfully the expression cannot be seen, or she might have accidentally offended her new employer.

"No thank you. Though some water might be good. When are we scheduled to leave? I might take a bit of a walk, if there is time." Nothing interesting was happening in this tent, and she could use the time to have someone who understood such things read the contract.

She was looking forward to the whole trip. It had been awhile since she had acted as a bodyguard, and the experience would bring back warm memories. Or it would kill her. Though her companions were asking a lot of questions. Did it really matter why they were protecting people, as long as they weren't sinister agents, or cultists.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-06, 07:49 AM
Xavier signs his name on the X, and checks off the box. He most certainly does not want to die for good at the age of 29!

I'll stick with water, boss, he says, cradling his mug in one hand. Your wife is quite lovely; you're a lucky man. You were a Dreadnought to the Emperor, then? Oh, the tales you could tell, he ends with a slight lilt of tone at the end, as if making a statement and asking a question at the same time.

AcidOrb
2013-09-06, 10:54 AM
Ze pours himself another glass of whisky, then takes out a vial of something viscus and pours a little in the glass. "You bet I have a bunch of stories, but I don't like telling em too much. Feels a lot like bragging or gloating to me. But if you want, I can tell you my first ever encounter with the Emperor. I was but a pup then. Isn't that right Blados? You're a good boy. Yes you are, good boy." He procures a chunk of jerky from a bag hanging on his chair and offers it to the wolf.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-06, 11:33 AM
Well, at least my new employer has good taste in animals, Xavier thinks as Blados takes the jerky out of Ze's hand. He grins as his wolf friend eats the jerked meat with gusto.

Out loud, he says, I'd be willing to hear that tale, if we've the time for you to tell it. He settles himself more comfortably into his seat, preparing.

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-06, 12:34 PM
"Okay, a tale is always good." Del signs on the x, and initials on the line. They'd probably take the cost out of there pay, but it was still a good idea.

She settles down with water to listen to the story.

Ennys
2013-09-06, 07:37 PM
Kas glances at the board in front of him, smiles, and shakes his head.

"Ah well, I was never very good to begin with."

Picking up his contract he begins to read over it carefully. While he trusted his soon-to-be-employer, it never paid to be too careful.

Without looking up he also said, "As Blados is companion to Xavier, V is my companion. She just attracts a little more attention, and because of previous experiences does not enjoy being crowded, though she would have no problem staying above the crowd if necessary."

Reaching the end of the document he too signed, checking off the box for raising.

"Now that is done, I too would interested in the story."

AcidOrb
2013-09-07, 04:22 PM
"Well... Let's see. It was right after my ninteenth birthday. We were still battling the Skorgoths on the western edge of the empire. I was still a militiaman conscripted into service... And by that I mean bought and paid for." Ze says with much distaste on his tongue. "By then we pushed em back into their fortresses in the Overwatch mountains. A small group of druid assassins infiltrated camp and slit my belly wide open. I still managed a cry for help and it alerted the guards. They surrounded and killed the druids, but not without a fight. Three of them and killed seventeen of our best men. The emperor himself attended my wounds, stuck his fingers inside and pinched a vein shut. Otherwise I would have bled out on the spot. Ever since that day I was by the emperor's side through thick and thin. I became the first Hruthlox Dreadnaught. Today there is an entire legion of us. Best troops the emperor has. Even if they may not be free men."

Give me Knowledge: History peoples.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-07, 06:04 PM
Xavier listens, nodding appreciatively at the end. He raises his mug in salute, though he smiles wryly when he remembers that it's only water. Quite the tale, boss, he says. He digs through his mind, seeing if he knows anything else of that event.

History: [roll0]

AcidOrb
2013-09-07, 07:26 PM
He scratches the right side of his neck, "I'm no Bard or anything, so I'm not that great of a story teller. I'd tell ya more about the fight the druids put up but I was trying to keep my insides from spilling out. You understand."

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-07, 07:32 PM
Delerie was interested to some degree, but the story wasn't really all that exciting. Though she didn't know how she would feel about having an emperor's hand inside of her. That seemed a bit more gross than an event worth bragging about.

She nodded at the right parts and said things like "That's an event." and "Wow" so as not to break her Code.

Knowledge (HIstory) [roll0] Not trained so max of like 15 i think.

AcidOrb
2013-09-07, 07:58 PM
Also, everyone give me a will save.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-07, 08:09 PM
Will save: [roll0]

Anything from my History roll?

"I'm no bard", pah. We're all gonna die! :smalleek::smalltongue:

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-07, 08:15 PM
Hah, now the ball is in Delerie's court.
Will save [roll0]

AcidOrb
2013-09-07, 09:06 PM
You both feel a weird sensation in your heads, then it stops. After a little while you hear a child's voice say "E hoq grim ur grom. G ho een samus, ur carus. Intitia klagendun."

Ze grabs his helm and calls to his wife. "Propiq e raliq qan."

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-07, 09:18 PM
Xavier frowns slightly, unpleased at being talked around in an unknown language. What language was that? he asks curiously. He is regarding his new employer more closely now, his suspicions raised.

Sense Motive; [roll0]

AcidOrb
2013-09-07, 09:24 PM
"You would have never heard of it. It's a language me and my wife came up with over the years together. In time I can teach it to you if you wish. But prepare yourselves... Something wicked this way walks." says Ze. He is telling the truth and only seems annoyed at the lack of knowledge of the current situation. He seems to be a man that likes being "In the loop" and is chewing his tongue as it were in trepidation.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-07, 09:37 PM
Xavier nods, though he raises a brow in question at the man's behavior. He stands up, Blados getting to his feet as well as the ranger draws his greatsword from its sheathe. He holds it at ease in one hand as he unslings his bow as well, planning to shoot first before they get into melee range, if he can. He lays the sword against Blados as he readies himself to cast Haste, should the need arise.

Where to, boss? he asks.

AcidOrb
2013-09-07, 09:44 PM
His wife comes out of the back of the wagon with a weird cylindrical looking thing with a large triangle at what appears to be the base of it. She slides it in place in the back of Ze's armor. He turns around and kisses her. "I'm going to go scouting. I'll send a sending to Aurora here if I need you." He puts on his helm and you all see them start to glow purple again. "I'll be back." he says, then blinks once and disappears.

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-07, 09:59 PM
Delerie pulls her Greataxe out, and tries to Detect Evil to see if something appears within 60ft of her.

She stands up, eager to engage in some good-old fashioned violence.

"Did anybody else just see our boss vanish into thin air? Because I'm pretty sure that happened, but maybe its heat stroke again. Also, did anybody hear a child speak in gibberish? Or is that the heat stroke, also?"

She readies a prayer and asks for Divine Favor. "Hey, there gods of Lawful Good, I would appreciate a little boost to my abilities so I can better murder your enemies in a hilariously shaming manner that also promises to be visually entertaining as much as it is gross and disgusting."

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-07, 10:08 PM
Xavier sighs and lowers his bow. Apparently he had started preparing too early. He blinks as his new fellow employee petitions her patrons in a most...interesting manner. He cannot help but let out a small chuckle as he scratches Blados' ears.

He did indeed disappear into thin air, Xavier says. He mentioned using a Sending spell, and seemed confident that he could use it. That implies that he is a talented practitioner of the arcane, and at this level there are many ways to make oneself vanish: invisibility, for instance, or a teleportation spell.

AcidOrb
2013-09-07, 10:18 PM
"Aye he is. If we wanted he could probably kill everyone here in Willerflik. He use to be a bad man, believe me... Tainted by evil that he tries to conceal but gets away from him sometimes. He is a control freak... Just don't anger him. When he flies into a rage I'm the only one that can calm him down." says his wife, Aurora. She slips on a dull red gauntlet unto her right hand and flexes her fingers. The fingers grow like daggers and cackle with energy. Then they detract and she picks up a staff. "One of you should stay here, in case trouble ensues. Feel free to take a scroll from that stack I've been scribing as a little bonus. Haven't heard from Zed... I mean Ze, yet."

Knowledge: History or Knowledge: Religion checks please.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-07, 10:23 PM
Xavier bows his head gratefully. I'll peruse them a bit; my thanks, milady.

As he sifts through them, he considers the woman's slip of the tongue.

What spells are on the scrolls?

Knowledge (History): [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll1]

AcidOrb
2013-09-07, 10:36 PM
Zed is an ancient paladin that fell from grace by cheating with a married woman, his king's bride. He cried out for someone to help him and undo his sin. Dark forces dragged him to hell and tortured him for a thousand years. Finally they released him, along with a seething hatred of his formerly beloved king, he held immense power. Mostly of a never seen before origin. After his escape from hell, where he slayed every demon and devil he could find, he brought with him a small scepter/rod. Little is known of him after that. They say the angels watch over him still, seeing that he does no great harm to others.

The scrolls are either Detect Magic, Invisibility or Summon Monster IV. Also, you get the scroll for staying behind and guarding the halflings only.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-07, 10:42 PM
Xavier blinks as he remembers what he can of Ze...or rather, Zed. His lips curl up into a grin, and he says, On second thought, I think I'll join our new employer when he calls. I've been itching for a fight; Blados has too, haven't you, boy? He scratches Blados' ears once more, thinking about the scepter that Aurora had been holding.

AaronGrimstone
2013-09-07, 10:47 PM
"I'll hold down the...place...and all that. Since that is technically why I became a Paladin, you know, to protect people...Go before I change my mind!" She is worried that she'll lose the fight with herself if they give her another option.

Ennys
2013-09-07, 10:57 PM
Kas stands from the table and unlimbers his bow.

"I think I too will join our employer, once we know a little more about what is coming our way, though if we are to help, maybe we should move out of the tent. I think it would be too easy to catch us by surprise here."

Kas steps closer to the entrance, but off to one side, ready to move out when he hears the word.

Perception to hear anything outside:
[roll0]

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-07, 11:00 PM
Xavier joins Kas near the entrance to the tent, motioning for Blados to follow him. He peeks out, trying to see whether there was a commotion outside.

Perception: [roll0]

AcidOrb
2013-09-07, 11:38 PM
You do in fact hear quite the commotion outside. A low rumble and cries of people can be heard coming from beyond the walls. To Kas it sounds as if the tournament has been interrupted and the cries are coming from the center of town. "Hold on gents. Grab onto Blados, Xavier." says Aurora coming out of the tent. With a word of power you turn invisible, then in a flash of light you are transported to an alleyway looking out onto the courtyard where the games were being held. A massive golem made of iron and three demonic forms can be seen in the center of the arena. People are fleeing from every angle and are pouring past us. They are drawing back their bows and cutting down any spectator they can as they flee.

Initiative pl0x?

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-07, 11:53 PM
Xavier growls as he sees the cause of the commotion. He likes this town! With a few arcane words, he quickens his allies' movement in order to aid their assault.

Initiative: [roll0] Frick that :smallmad:

Going to cast Haste when it's my turn; may be getting ahead of myself, but eh.

Ennys
2013-09-08, 12:19 AM
Kas also mutters, passing his hand over his quiver.

"We should try to get a little closer."

Initiative: 1d20+7
I don't think I need to stealth to get closer since we turned invisible, unless that was just part of the teleportation animation sequence :smalltongue:
Also, he is casting abundant ammunition.
And, going to try to summon V for battle!

AcidOrb
2013-09-08, 02:01 PM
Ze says to you all, "Our first priority is the golem. Give me your weapons." he mutters a few words of power and the weapons start to glow and burn with a blue flame. He hands them back to you. "Spread out. Don't want to get too close together. Wait for the others to leave the area and we attack on my signal... You'll recognize it don't worry."

As the crowd disperses, the three furies take aim at us and launch nine arrows our way. Two arrows catch Ze, one in the neck and the other in the knee. He breaks off the one in his neck and pulls out the one in his knee, then stretches it and extends it out, shaking out the pain. The other two archers hit the newly hired guards where it hurts. One catches Xavier in the hip, the other catches him in the shoulder and bounces out, causing a small gash. Kas isn't so lucky however and three arrows dig their way into his abdomen and torso.

Ze takes 65 damage from one critical (almost instant death :smalleek:) and normal hit. Xavier takes 45 damage from two lucky shots and Kas is pincushioned for 69 damage.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-08, 02:06 PM
Xavier nods and moves to his left, threading between fleeing civilians. He stops about thirty feet away from the golem and draws an arrow, preparing himself for Ze's signal. Blados stays by his side, growling so softly that only he can hear.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-08, 02:30 PM
Xavier snarls in pain as the arrows lodge inside of him. He lines up a shot against the golem, remembering Ze's advice, and then lets his arrows loose.

As he shoots, Blados sprints to the nearest fury and bites at it.

Three attacks: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Potential damage: [roll3] Fire damage: [roll4]
[roll5] Fire damage: [roll6]
[roll7] Fire damage: [roll8]

Blados (I'm assuming Ze was able to add the enchantment to him as well; if not, subtract 3 from these attacks): [roll9]

Potential damage: [roll10]

AcidOrb
2013-09-08, 02:39 PM
Ze grabs the scepter/rod looking thing at his left hip and grabs the metallic handle from the leather pouch on his right hip. The metal handle seemingly transforms into hand crossbow with no bow and a black extender in front. Ze thumbs a switch on the rod and a bright blue blade springs forth from the rod, emitting a hum and low glow. Then the weird cylindrical object comes alive and rises up then comes down over Ze's right shoulder. A loud screeching zap can be heard, and whatever just happened got the golem in the left shoulder as you see it spin around and fall down. The metal around the wound white hot.

Ennys
2013-09-08, 07:42 PM
Kas grunts as the arrows hit him, ripping them out as he moves into a better position. He spreads out a little from Xavier, sights, and then looses his own volley at the golem, as a white streak falls from the sky to attack the furies.

Assuming Hasted, if not, ignore the final shot.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Potential damage (all Frost):
[roll4], [roll5] (for the manyshot)
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8] (for hasted shot)

V:
[roll9] (bite)
damage: [roll10]

AcidOrb
2013-09-09, 02:38 PM
The golem stands up and starts moving towards Ze. The Furies concentrate their fire on Kas this time, sending a hail of arrows his way.

30 vs Kas AC: 18 + 10 fire
32 vs Kas AC: 15 + 2 fire
28 vs Kas AC: 19 + 10 fire
34 vs Kas AC: 48 + 24 fire (Crit)

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-09, 03:21 PM
Xavier frowns in frustration as he sees his newest coworker being peppered with arrows. He directs Blados to continue harrying the furies as he lines up some more shots at the golem.

Arrows: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Potential damage: [roll4] Fire damage: [roll5]
[roll6] Fire damage: [roll7]
[roll8] Fire damage: [roll9]
[roll10] Fire damage: [roll11]

Blados' attack: [roll12]
Potential damage: [roll13]

Ennys
2013-09-10, 04:15 AM
Kas spits blood form his mouth as he turns to face the harpies. Ignoring the arrows sticking out of him for the moment he reaches out with one hand and makes a sharp twisting gesture before turning his attention back to the golem.

V moves to attack the harpy Blados has engaged, going for a flank.

Warp Wood, targeting the bows of the harpies. Will save vs. 16.

V's attack:
[roll5]

potential damage:
[roll6], [roll7]

AcidOrb
2013-09-12, 06:13 PM
Ze takes an aggresive stance, waiting for the golem to reach him. He shoves his plasmic longsword into the things mouth as it opens to expel gas, and his silenced pistol just makes a tink tink tink sound as the rail pellets bite into the iron hide of the creature. Heat first pulls down, then pulls up with his longsword, and the golem falls inert, the glow in its eyes fading to darkness.

Two of the Furies drop their bows and fan out trying encircle our band of adventurers as they take out a longsword. The last Fury takes aim at Ze and launches a fusillade of arrows at him.

An arrow streaks toward his head, then you see him duck down out of the way quickly and slice the arrow in half.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-14, 10:58 PM
Xavier nods at the demise of the golem, but keeps his attention on the furies. He takes aim at the one closest to him and lets loose a hail of arrows. He directs Blados to continue harrying the remaining bow-user.

Attacks:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Potential damage:
[roll4] Fire: [roll5]
[roll6] Fire: [roll7]
[roll8] Fire: [roll9]
[roll10] Fire: [roll11]

Blados' attack: [roll12]
Potential damage: [roll13]

Ennys
2013-09-15, 02:04 AM
Redrawing his bow, Kas turns to the harpy attacked by Xavier and lets loose a volley of his own, letting V continue attacking the bow user.

[roll0] (multishot)
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] (haste)

potential damage:
[roll4], [roll5], [roll6], [roll7]
[roll8], [roll9]
[roll10], [roll11]
[roll12], [roll13]

V:
[roll14] (bite)
[roll15], [roll16] (2 talons)
[roll17] (bite, haste)

potential damage:
[roll18], [roll19]
[roll20], [roll21], [roll22], [roll23]
[roll24], [roll25]

AcidOrb
2013-09-19, 04:11 PM
The bow user is clawed and gouged to the point it drops it bow and just teleports out of the area. It shouts "Your day shall come soon, betrayer!"

The other fury you are concentrating your fire on is riddled with arrows and summons some more daemonspawn to assail you as it readies a retreat.

Aurora steps up and blasts the other longsword wielding Fury with a cone of cold.

Then Ze turns to the last Fury and takes aim at it with his cannon-y thing. It catches the fiend in the stomach and you can see a large spout of blood exiting it behind them.

Ennys
2013-09-25, 07:39 PM
Kas files away the harpy's comment for later consideration. Drawing his bow back again, he lets loose a rain of arrows at the first of the three demonspawn while V turns her attention to the harpy.

Full attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Potential damage:
[roll4], [roll5], [roll6], [roll7]
[roll8], [roll9]
[roll10], [roll11]
[roll12], [roll13]

V:
[roll14]
[roll15], [roll16]
[roll17]

Potential damage:
[roll18], [roll19]
[roll20], [roll21], [roll22], [roll23]
[roll24], [roll25]

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-28, 10:30 AM
Xavier turns his bow to the new demonspawn and lets loose his arrows.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Potential damage: [roll4] Fire damage: [roll]1d10[roll]
[roll5] Fire damage: [roll]1d10[roll]
[roll6] Fire damage: [roll]1d10[roll]
[roll7] Fire damage: [roll]1d10[roll]

AcidOrb
2013-11-23, 03:40 PM
The small battle continues, some of the citizens of this city's bodies start to glow and rise from their prostrate positions. The other Fury spawns more demonspawn and they both start laughing, "Now the dead shall fest upon you!" The six demonspawn move to attack Ze and are blown back when Aurora slams her staff into the ground. They tumble and fall then dissipate into nothingness.