PDA

View Full Version : Utility class

atlantiantokra
2013-08-30, 07:18 PM
I'm fairly new to d&d and i'm still trying to work out what class I should be for the character I want. Basically the character I want is a skilled non-combat spellcaster with basic weapons training. In combat he should use teleportation, buffs and, where possible, non-combat techniques to help allies. Relying on allies for the brunt of the fighting but able to use weak hit-and-run style tactics when necessary. Out of battle he should be a sort of bag of all tricks able to adapt to the environment by creating light/heat/cold sources etc.; allowing easier passage through places by bridging gaps, water breathing/walking, teleporting; [un]hiding,[un]locking, moving objects; and repairing/creating items.
So at the moment I'm thinking of a wizard for the utility aspect with a bit of rogue for the basic combat ability. Thoughts?

geekintheground
2013-08-30, 07:27 PM
sounds kinda like a bard to me...

Greenish
2013-08-30, 07:39 PM
Bard, or, slightly less martially oriented, Beguiler (skill and trickery focused spellcasting class from Player's Handbook II), would probably fit well enough.

Of course, wizard could do it too, but then, wizards can do pretty much anything. Not that hot with skills (without using magic), though. Rogue/Wizard works, especially with Able Learner (a feat from Races of Destiny that halves the cost of cross-class skill ranks). Continuing to Unseen Seer (Prestige Class from Complete Mage) is recommended, as it gets 6+int skills, decent list, continues spellcasting, and even gets some more SA.

Chronos
2013-08-30, 08:30 PM
Are you restricted to core books, or are other books on the table?

In any event, beware of this:

So at the moment I'm thinking of a wizard for the utility aspect with a bit of rogue for the basic combat ability. Thoughts?
I would not recommend splashing in a bit of a class for combat ability. All classes have combat ability, but most of them work in different ways, which don't generally complement each other. If you're, say, a rogue 1/wizard 5, your one level of rogue isn't going to be enough to make you worthwhile at rogue-style combat against level 6 enemies, and you'll mostly end up being a slightly weaker wizard in combat. A wizard 6 would be more effective, or if you really want to fight like a rogue, a rogue 6.

G.Cube
2013-08-30, 09:21 PM
Wizard is such a boring answer. Check out Factotum from Dungeonscape for a mostly mundane "Guys, I've got this." style character.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-30, 09:25 PM
A bard can get you plenty of skills, party-support, and mundane combat capability. Take the Bardic Knack ACF, pick up Snowflake Wardance and Jack of All Trades as feats, and do a bit of everything. If you go into Sublime Chord at upper levels, it can continue to provide top-of-the-line casting as well.

A utility wizard, on the other hand, can get you just about everything but the "basic weapon training" bit. To be honest, that sounds like your best bet-- they have the widest variety of spells in the game, after all, and tons of buffs and utility stuff. I'd with the others advising you not to dip into Rogue, though-- that'll just weaken you with no real return. A one-level dip into Factotum could work, given the Intelligence synergy, but as a general rule of thumb when making a caster you want to take as many caster levels as possible.