PDA

View Full Version : Guess the classes of the rest of Team Tarquin

Matt620
2013-08-30, 08:28 PM
Title says it all. Laurin and Malack have known classes, and Tarquin may or may not be a fighter, but what about the other three?

I think that, like Crystal, the cat-girl is an assassin. She drops the ambassador at the drop of a hat, and she certainly acts more like one than a rogue.

I think that Miron is the team's arcane caster, but I don't think he's a wizard. I'm going to make a radical guess and say he's a warlock. Maybe it's the warlock fanboy in me, but we haven't really seen a major character that is one, and he has some spellcaster ability or UMD since he was seen using a magic wand.

While the guy's hair makes me think barbarian, I'm guessing the guy with the sword and shield is a blackguard. Tarquin doesn't work with loose cannons, as he said with Thog, so I'm not going to commit to barbarian, but he's probably the brutish power-attacker to Tarquin's duelist-esque finesse.

Anyone else have any guesses?

ReaderAt2046
2013-08-30, 09:16 PM
I'd peg Miron as a sorcerer, maybe with a few rogue levels mixed in. Sword-and-board is probably a fighter, though he might also be a Paladin of Tyranny or Slaughter. As for Catgirl, I'm pegging her as a rogue/Soulknife1/Assassin (being able to conjure a weapon out of thin air is really handy for sneak-attack-based classes.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-31, 10:40 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think Miron is a warlock. So far every 6-man party has had a Charisma-based caster who is not as much of a caster as the Int/Wis-based casters/manifester (Elan, Nale, Girard). Warlocks are about as "caster-y" as a bard, and invocation save DCs are Cha-based. The torture wand and Laurin transporting him suggest his spellcasting is limited as well.

I initially thought sorcerer with levels in something like rogue, but that doesn't fit with how similar characters (Nale and Girard) have been drawn.

And since that would make both Laurin and Miron classes we haven't seen much of, I'd guess that most of the party are also stuff we don't see often in OOTS:

Tarquin: Blackguard/Fighter
Catfolk: Spellthief or Assassin
Other Guy: Psychic Warrior

I used to oppose the idea of Tarquin being a blackguard on account of his views on alignment, but maybe Evil doesn't care what you think, just as long as you're being Evil. Though I'm also hoping for him to be a straight fighter just to spite everyone who thinks someone as competent as Tarquin can't be a straight fighter. But one of the Giant's comments in the Class & Level Geekery Thread makes me think we'll never know his class. Or, rather, his class is simply "Tarquin's class."

And Malack's class may not fit my "Tarquin's party consists of stuff we haven't seen often in OOTS" idea, but his template and base creature certainly do.

Xelbiuj
2013-08-31, 10:58 AM
I'm looking forward to the big reveal that it's not Team Tarquin. Well, it's a team he's on but hes not the leader. They've already established that the decisions are democratic. I think that would be great given that he thought Elan led OOTS.

Demolator
2013-08-31, 11:32 AM
Paladins. They're all paladins.

TheTeaMustFlow
2013-08-31, 12:05 PM
I kinda like the idea of Team Tarquin being psionics, so I'm going to indulge in wishful thinking and support the soulknife and psiwarrior suggestions.

I think it's because psionics feel more subtle and manipulative than, say, elemental attacks, which fits with TT. Actually, from what we've seen, TT seem to use that kind of tactic compared to their various counterparts - like Tarquin's defensive and tricksy fighting style compared to Thog's brutality, or Malack's insidious necromancy versus Durkon's `smashing Evil in tha face wit a big hammer`.

SavageWombat
2013-08-31, 01:21 PM
We've seen a soulknife - the knife is quite distinctive. Don't think catgirl is using one.

Imgran
2013-08-31, 02:03 PM
I think we have straight old school here. A monk, a rogue, a psion, and either a Barbarian or another fighter.

Reddish Mage
2013-08-31, 03:00 PM
I used to oppose the idea of Tarquin being a blackguard on account of his views on alignment, but maybe Evil doesn't care what you think, just as long as you're being Evil. Though I'm also hoping for him to be a straight fighter just to spite everyone who thinks someone as competent as Tarquin can't be a straight fighter. But one of the Giant's comments in the Class & Level Geekery Thread makes me think we'll never know his class. Or, rather, his class is simply "Tarquin's class."

His views on alignment? You mean the point where he suggested "good" and "evil" were "antiquated" concepts (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0760.html)? The vague notion Tarquin is implying is that his evil actions are for the greater good? Specifically he plans to move to a world were "no one has any reason to fight one another" (Malack's impression, at least, is that the long term plan involved Malack ruling and orderly performing mass killings on a daily basis after Tarquin's death).

I'm not sure asking Elan to ignore the good/evil dichotomy with both its implications that Tarquin is a villain and that (as a hero) Elan is obligated to thwart him constitutes Tarquin not believing he is evil. Soon thereafter, Tarquin fully accepts his narrative role as a villain (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html).

F.Harr
2013-08-31, 03:09 PM
I hadn't thought about it before, but did Tarquin take his fist class in, well, BARD?

ti'esar
2013-08-31, 03:13 PM
His views on alignment? You mean the point where he suggested "good" and "evil" were "antiquated" concepts (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0760.html)? The vague notion Tarquin is implying is that his evil actions are for the greater good? Specifically he plans to move to a world were "no one has any reason to fight one another" (Malack's impression, at least, is that the long term plan involved Malack ruling and orderly performing mass killings on a daily basis after Tarquin's death).

I'm not sure asking Elan to ignore the good/evil dichotomy with both its implications that Tarquin is a villain and that (as a hero) Elan is obligated to thwart him constitutes Tarquin not believing he is evil. Soon thereafter, Tarquin fully accepts his narrative role as a villain (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html).

Tarquin knows that he's evil, but both he and Malack seem to regard "good" and "evil" as being little more than team hats.

Newwby
2013-08-31, 07:52 PM
We've seen a soulknife - the knife is quite distinctive. Don't think catgirl is using one.

What comic?

I don't know about soulknife/psiwarrior but warlock feels right for Miron. Although that said simply because a class hasn't appeared before doesn't make it likely to appear, Rich seems to be a fan of subverting normal storytelling expectations.

Imgran
2013-08-31, 07:55 PM
I hadn't thought about it before, but did Tarquin take his fist class in, well, BARD?

No, just because Elan is genre-savvy, and Elan is a bard, does not mean all bards are as genre-savvy as Elan. Tarquin is impressed wiuth the genre-savviness of Bards but that does not mean he himself is one. Elan likes wizards, yet his effort to become one ended in disaster.

juicycaboose
2013-08-31, 08:31 PM
What comic?

I don't know about soulknife/psiwarrior but warlock feels right for Miron. Although that said simply because a class hasn't appeared before doesn't make it likely to appear, Rich seems to be a fan of subverting normal storytelling expectations.

Warlocks have appeared before. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0730.html)

edit: in fact that very same comic might be the appearance of a soulknife SavageWombat was talking about

Amphiox
2013-08-31, 08:32 PM
I'm looking forward to the big reveal that it's not Team Tarquin. Well, it's a team he's on but hes not the leader. They've already established that the decisions are democratic. I think that would be great given that he thought Elan led OOTS.

Well, Tarquin flat out stated that he was the leader, or used to be the leader, of that team, back in the days when they were adventuring together. Whether he remained the leader after they came back together for their tyranny scheme would be the question, but since (according to Tarquin), it was his idea from the start, it would stand to reason that Tarquin's still the leader.

Of course, Tarquin could be lying about all that, but we do see examples where both Laurin and Malack acceded to Tarquin's instructions.

SavageWombat
2013-08-31, 08:43 PM

edit: in fact that very same comic might be the appearance of a soulknife SavageWombat was talking about

That is in fact the soulknife to which I refer.

DolGrenn
2013-08-31, 08:49 PM
I predict that one or more of them will not be as classy as Tarquin is. :smalltongue:

Bulldog Psion
2013-08-31, 10:25 PM
Well, we know they're all of aristocratic birth, since I don't think Tarquin would sully himself with their presence otherwise.

Shred-Bot
2013-09-01, 07:51 AM
Tarquin really doesn't need to be anything other than a straight fighter, UNLESS he has some sort of custom Evil Overlord class from the same third-party sourcebook that the Dashing Swordsman came from.

For Miron, I sort of have a gut feeling that he's a Factotum. UMD on the wand would be no trouble, plus he could fill their "jack of all trades" role.

Catgirl... no idea, really. She didn't yell "Sneak attack!" before stabbing Gourntonk, so I'm thinking NOT rogue or assassin? Chameleon perhaps?

Sword/Shield guy: I'd consider him more likely to be a Blackguard than Tarquin. But we have the least information on him of all, he could be anything with heavy armor proficiency really.

Vendanna
2013-09-01, 08:02 AM
my take on the team.

Malack (Cleric) albeit that was easy ^^
Miron: magic user, apart from that my take is wizard.
Laurin: Psion
Cat girl: Rogue. Remember that death attack must be spelled for assasins too, like we saw from Crystal.

Shoulder pad guy: Straight fighter.

Tarquin: Is the jack of all trades of the party, and gets its genre savyness from Bard (probably 1 or 2 levels) and the rest is fighter.

There is no rule that the jack of all trades can't be the leader of the party, and its seems he is the one teaching his team members weird tricks (like grip maneuvers to malack) to get an edge over their foes.

Synesthesy
2013-09-01, 09:36 AM
Miron: his look is different from every wizard we've seen. I bet he's something different, like sorcerer or Warlock. Maybe Warlock. But we're assuming he's a magic class becouse he hasn't weapon? He can be soulknife, or monk. His look seems good for a monk. However, he seems to me more a secondary fighter then the third spellcaster (after Malack and Laurin) for a balanced team.

cat girl: he's not just a rogue, for me. He's a rogue assassin, or something similar. Becouse she's evil, etc. BUT he can have a template creature like malack. Isn't she a CAT girl?

Tarquin: tarquin is not just a fighter. No fighter in the oots fights like him. Figher, Paladin, Warrior... They always fight in attack. Tarquin may be psionic fighter (i'm sorry, but I know only the italian name of psionic classes), or just an epic bard with 2 figher level. Or maybe Tarquin is an epic dashing swordman and we don't know it! He said he made a "puns duel" with elan, and one long time ago. But for a right puns duel, doesn't he need to be able to use pun in fights too? Tarquin may be a fighter based dashing swordman, different from the bard based Elan.

Kish
2013-09-01, 09:41 AM
cat girl: he's not just a rogue, for me. He's a rogue assassin, or something similar. Becouse she's evil, etc. BUT he can have a template creature like malack. Isn't she a CAT girl?

She changes gender regularly? :smallconfused:

Tarquin: tarquin is not just a fighter. No fighter in the oots fights like him.

Having a different combat style than Roy or Miko doesn't indicate someone is a different class. There are a lot of defensive feats.

Tarquin may be a fighter based dashing swordman, different from the bard based Elan.
That's not how prestige classes work.

juicycaboose
2013-09-01, 10:11 AM
That's not how prestige classes work.

What is there to indicate that bardic music or the like is a prerequisite for Dashing Swordsman?

Kish
2013-09-01, 10:16 AM
What is there to indicate that bardic music or the like is a prerequisite for Dashing Swordsman?
*ahem*
There are not multiple versions of single prestige classes, "based on" another class. Tarquin might be a different-but-similar prestige class, or he might be a Dashing Swordsman, but he isn't a "fighter based dashing swordman, different from the bard based Elan."

Newwby
2013-09-01, 10:34 AM

I see it now! I'm colourblind and couldn't see the knives at all until I scanned it closely, cheers!

I was thinking after I wrote that that I'd seen a warlock somewhere but couldn't remember where... I kept thinking maybe the hotel but that was a shadowdancer.

*ahem*
There are not multiple versions of single prestige classes, "based on" another class. Tarquin might be a different-but-similar prestige class, or he might be a Dashing Swordsman, but he isn't a "fighter based dashing swordman, different from the bard based Elan."

Agreeing with this. Tarquin is notably charismatic so if he does infact know how to counter the dashing swordsman's pun-duelling through taking the dashing swordman PrC then he likely has the charisma to utilise the class features himself. He might be an evil bastard but he's a charismatic evil bastard.

Forikroder
2013-09-01, 10:38 AM
Well, we know they're all of aristocratic birth, since I don't think Tarquin would sully himself with their presence otherwise.

im pretty sure he meant "lowly stock" in a more pragmatic way, saying since her father was so dumb as to talk to him as if they were equals he needs to make sure the apple fell far from the tree

Synesthesy
2013-09-01, 11:37 AM
*ahem*

I was saying that someone with (for example) 10 level of bard and 10 of dashing swordman is different from someone who has 10 level of fighter and 10 of dashing swordman. Just like a mystic theurge needs an arcane and a divine multiclass to get the prestige class, but a wizard cleric mystic theurge is very different from a sorcerer druid mystic theurge.

Mr.Rictus
2013-09-01, 12:17 PM

What on earth does that comment have anything to do with aristocratic birth? It had nothing to do with his family name and everything to do with Starshine's competence and Tarquin's ego. He just despised him for being a smelly little jailed rebel that dared talk to him as if they were equals. If Ian had ever posed an noticeablel THREAT to Tarquin rather than being another prisoner, he wouldn't have been so condescending.

Shred-Bot
2013-09-02, 05:17 AM

Malack was not of aristocratic birth (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0874.html) and he got on splendidly with Tarquin.

Aolbain
2013-09-02, 10:14 AM
Commoner, the lot of 'em. And lots and lots of levels.

dps
2013-09-02, 11:59 AM

Uhm, there's nothing stopping a straight rogue from being Evil.

Roland Itiative
2013-09-02, 12:04 PM
Clearly Cat Person-formely-identified-as-girl's class is Vaarsuvius.

F.Harr
2013-09-02, 12:05 PM
No, just because Elan is genre-savvy, and Elan is a bard, does not mean all bards are as genre-savvy as Elan. Tarquin is impressed wiuth the genre-savviness of Bards but that does not mean he himself is one. Elan likes wizards, yet his effort to become one ended in disaster.

That would be why he doesn't HAVE to be a bard, not why he isn't a bard. I didn't say he was a bard I suggested that he MAY have taken ONE level.

And it's not just 'cause he's Elan's father or because he's genra-savvy, but it's efficient. He goes to bard-camp for a week and then gets a jump on XP gain and levels in totally unrelated fields. Possibly from a third-party sourcebook.

Stille_Nacht
2013-09-02, 01:48 PM
I'm thinking Tarquin is a factotum (melee variant), it fits his "i do everything, know everything" sort of persona. It's also a jack of all trades class like the bard, but has more room to be combat oriented.

AKA_Bait
2013-09-03, 10:08 AM
I actually have an odd inkling that Tarquin is a Warblade or other stance-based class. Not much reason for it, other than a feeling I got from his conversation with Malak here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0854.html)

F.Harr
2013-09-04, 05:33 PM
I'd wonder if it were a class he'd cribbed off a third-party source-book. One HE'D written.

Spoomeister
2013-09-04, 06:49 PM
That would be why he doesn't HAVE to be a bard, not why he isn't a bard. I didn't say he was a bard I suggested that he MAY have taken ONE level.

And it's not just 'cause he's Elan's father or because he's genra-savvy, but it's efficient. He goes to bard-camp for a week and then gets a jump on XP gain and levels in totally unrelated fields. Possibly from a third-party sourcebook.

Assuming a) any kind of adherence to 3.0 / 3.5, b) Tarquin is Lawful Evil, and c) he's always been Lawful Evil, Tarquin can't be a bard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bard_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#Dungeons_.26_Dragons_3 rd_edition_.282000-2007.29).

Possibly taking one level of Bard works if he did it as a 3.5 character, and as some non-Lawful alignment, before then having an alignment change later.

If he had ever demonstrated some Druidic skills it'd be hilarious if Tarquin was a holdover from 1st edition. 1e Bards were weird and frightening after a few levels...

AKA_Bait
2013-09-05, 09:51 AM
Are we convinced that Tarquin is LE? I know that Nale recounts him as being so in his telling of their back story, but Nale may not be the best judge of alignment (including his own). I can see him being NE.

Edit: In light of today's comic, I retract the above statement. Tarquin is LE.

Psyren
2013-09-05, 11:58 AM
What are people judging Miron = Sorcerer on? He hasn't cast any spells on-panel that I can remember.

Perform (Comedy) is almost certainly a requirement (for the puns), and Fighters don't get it.

F.Harr
2013-09-07, 02:31 PM
Assuming a) any kind of adherence to 3.0 / 3.5, b) Tarquin is Lawful Evil, and c) he's always been Lawful Evil, Tarquin can't be a bard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bard_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#Dungeons_.26_Dragons_3 rd_edition_.282000-2007.29).

Possibly taking one level of Bard works if he did it as a 3.5 character, and as some non-Lawful alignment, before then having an alignment change later.

Yeah, but that's unlikely. I hadn't known that. Scuttle one theory.

If he had ever demonstrated some Druidic skills it'd be hilarious if Tarquin was a holdover from 1st edition. 1e Bards were weird and frightening after a few levels...

Really? I'm weirded out and frightened just hearing about it. <8|

sr123
2013-09-07, 04:08 PM
I'm thinking Tarquin is a factotum (melee variant)

I'd wonder if it were a class he'd cribbed off a third-party source-book. One HE'D written.

But Rich co-wrote the Factotum class (Dungeonscape). So in some interpretation Tarquin wrote his own class by proxy of his own author whose story he also presumes to know.

Kish
2013-09-07, 04:30 PM
But Rich co-wrote the Factotum class (Dungeonscape). So in some interpretation Tarquin wrote his own class by proxy of his own author whose story he also presumes to know.
I seem to remember Rich saying that the factotum was all Rob.

Ramien
2013-09-07, 05:04 PM
I actually have an odd inkling that Tarquin is a Warblade or other stance-based class. Not much reason for it, other than a feeling I got from his conversation with Malak here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0854.html)

Care to elaborate? I read that strip a dozen times and couldn't find a single possible comment that would lead to that.

The Kind Knido
2013-09-07, 05:39 PM
Weapon Master? Duelist? He seems proficient with a good number of weapons. He killed Nale with a dagger and he didn't even really hit him with it very hard - just kind of a nonchalant jab, though Nale was probably too worked up to protect himself.

He used a pretty big ax when he was "disguised" as Thog.

He grabbed arrows out of thin air which might imply he has some levels in a dexterity-based class.

He used a long sword and a shield when he fought Nale in a flashback panel.

Warlord is a 3.5 class, so perhaps he took a few levels of that when it was possible (first page of the online string of comics). When Nale was talking about his father when the Order first met him, he was likely just speaking about how Tarquin was a Warlord as just a title or description as to what he did, not an actual class of his as Nale couldn't have possibly been around him or heard about what he's done since the world changed to 3.5 while both the Order and the Guild were in Dorukan's Dungeon at that time.

I'd wager Tarquin has levels in three classes. Perhaps Warlord/Duelist or Bard/Rogue or any other dexterity based classes that will allow such quick movement.

Guy Incognito
2013-09-07, 06:41 PM
Weapon Master? Duelist? He seems proficient with a good number of weapons. He killed Nale with a dagger and he didn't even really hit him with it very hard - just kind of a nonchalant jab, though Nale was probably too worked up to protect himself.

He used a pretty big ax when he was "disguised" as Thog.

He grabbed arrows out of thin air which might imply he has some levels in a dexterity-based class.

He used a long sword and a shield when he fought Nale in a flashback panel.

Warlord is a 3.5 class, so perhaps he took a few levels of that when it was possible (first page of the online string of comics). When Nale was talking about his father when the Order first met him, he was likely just speaking about how Tarquin was a Warlord as just a title or description as to what he did, not an actual class of his as Nale couldn't have possibly been around him or heard about what he's done since the world changed to 3.5 while both the Order and the Guild were in Dorukan's Dungeon at that time.

I'd wager Tarquin has levels in three classes. Perhaps Warlord/Duelist or Bard/Rogue or any other dexterity based classes that will allow such quick movement.

No, Marshal is a 3.5 class. Warlord is strictly 4th.

Personally, I'd say he's a factotum. Melee skills (average BAB and martial weapons), good at single hits (cunning insight and cunning strike), very smart, hard to hit (improved cunning defense), knows lots of obscure skills, and a jack-of-all-trades similar to a bard. Warblade would also make sense (the armor, the high INT, the complex combat maneuvers), and the two classes do synergize well.

The Kind Knido
2013-09-07, 07:22 PM
A factotum does seem pretty likely for Tarquin, however, I don't see him being one considering everyone else appears to be grounded to an actual class or two.

The SRD's telling me that Warlord is a 3.5 class. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see nothing for a 4.0 Warlord, then again, it is saying "Lord of Battle" everywhere which leads me to believe it's pretty incomplete information all around.

Kish
2013-09-07, 07:27 PM
A factotum does seem pretty likely for Tarquin, however, I don't see him being one considering everyone else appears to be grounded to an actual class or two.

The SRD's telling me that Warlord is a 3.5 class. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see nothing for a 4.0 Warlord, then again, it is saying "Lord of Battle" everywhere which leads me to believe it's pretty incomplete information all around.
The SRD? This website: http://www.d20srd.org/ ?

'Cause I'm not finding Warlord on that at all, but if you're looking at some other website, what you're looking at isn't the SRD for 3.5ed D&D.

The factotum is as actual a class as any other, so I'm really unclear on what your premises are here.

The Kind Knido
2013-09-07, 07:30 PM
Ah, no, sorry. I was looking at another sites with the SRD information, the wiki itself.

I couldn't find factotum as a class, though there were pages on them.

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-07, 07:30 PM

I'm no expert on 3.5, but I have all three Players Handbooks for 4e, and warlord is very explicitly one of the base classes from PHBI, and I do know it's not one of the core classes in the SRD for 3.5 (but if there's a warlord class introduced somewhere else, I couldn't say).

Kish
2013-09-07, 07:33 PM
Ah, no, sorry. I was looking at another sites with the SRD information, the wiki itself.

I couldn't find factotum as a class, though there were pages on them.
The SRD doesn't contain all the information in the D&D books. That doesn't mean classes in supplements that aren't part of the SRD are not actual.

Read the wiki at your own risk.

The Kind Knido
2013-09-07, 07:34 PM
Can't argue with the source books, I guess.

Still, I wonder why two major sites don't have info on a Warlord/4.0 warlord?

The SRD doesn't contain all the information in the D&D books. That doesn't mean classes in supplements that aren't part of the SRD are not actual.

Read the wiki at your own risk.

Noted, however this is the first time I've gotten stuck somewhere with the Wiki. To be honest, my knowledge of the game is pretty scattered. I played the game once a long time ago (I was a generic cleric who died early) and have never had the money to grab any materials. The only stuff I really have are a bunch of 3.5 PDFs, some PC games, dice and the 3.5 DM guide.

Still in the midst of getting better acquainted with the majority of things.

Matt620
2013-09-07, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Psyren;15964141]What are people judging Miron = Sorcerer on? He hasn't cast any spells on-panel that I can remember.

I judge it on two factors

1.) He's not wearing armor, that would suggest (but not confirm) an arcane class.

2.) He's using a wand. You would need either spellcaster levels or UMD to use them, and that's cross-class for other armorless classes like Monk, if I recall

Taelas
2013-09-07, 08:55 PM
The DNDWiki is ... well, atrocious, for lack of a better word. It is full of homebrew, and is often on the top few hits on a Google search when combined with "3.5" or "D&D".

So it is very easy to do a search for, say, "D&D warlord 3.5" and end up at a homebrew DNDWiki page.

It also has legitimate information (namely, the contents of the 3.5 SRD), but it's too easy to confuse the homebrew pages with the SRD pages, especially if you're just doing a casual search on a D&D term you don't know well.

Arutema
2013-09-08, 02:09 AM
I'll go a bit out on a limb and say the "cat-girl" is a Rakshasa using her outsider HD to qualify for Assassin.

F.Harr
2013-09-08, 02:36 PM
Well Factotum sounds very Tarquin.

And I found a reference.

http://dndtools.eu/classes/factotum/

AKA_Bait
2013-09-08, 02:47 PM
Care to elaborate? I read that strip a dozen times and couldn't find a single possible comment that would lead to that.

You know, I wish I could. It was just something about the "watching you fight for 35 years" and the way Tarquin seemed to be moving in combat that made me think he's got more combat tricks up his sleeve than your typical fighter class. That, probably saying more about me than the strip, immediately makes me think of the ToB classes.

Still, I wonder why two major sites don't have info on a Warlord/4.0 warlord?

IP issues. The info on the SRD is part of something called the open gaming license, meaning anyone can use or distribute it without getting hauled away by lawyers (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0065.html). That's not true of the other published D&D source materials.

Rakoa
2013-09-08, 03:33 PM
Tarquin always did strike me as a Martial Adept of some kind. His axe throwing move, arrow catching, small things like that. Sure, they could just be obscure fighter feats, but I would definitely pin him as a Warblade.

Factotum is also a pretty good fit, though.

Kish
2013-09-08, 03:42 PM
Tarquin always did strike me as a Martial Adept of some kind. His axe throwing move, arrow catching, small things like that. Sure, they could just be obscure fighter feats,
There's nothing obscure about Snatch Arrows.

AKA_Bait
2013-09-08, 03:56 PM

I think it's more that Tarquin does a bunch (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0851.html)of things (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0852.html)during (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0858.html) his time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0861.html) in combat (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0862.html)that are out of the ordinary for a straight up fighter, even with feats or a little bit of multiclassing.

I also think Factotum fits pretty well, especially considering Tarquin almost certainly has a high Int. and his versatility with other stuff meshes well with it.

Rakoa
2013-09-08, 04:10 PM

I did not imply that every feat is obscure, nor did I mean to imply that what I supplied was an exhaustive list.

ti'esar
2013-09-08, 05:06 PM
Honestly, I've always assumed Tarquin is a single-classed fighter with a lot of feats.

RolkFlameraven
2013-09-08, 07:18 PM
I'm still thinking they are hold overs from the older rules sets. and rereading this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0862.html) just brings it up again.

After all he talks about 'right after all that arcana was FIRST unearthed' as when he learned drow sign and all.

I know this is mostly just an in-joke as that was when Drow where first stated out of PC's back in '85 but its still interesting seeing as Wormhole is a AD&D power as well.

AKA_Bait
2013-09-08, 08:45 PM
I'm still thinking they are hold overs from the older rules sets.

This is an interesting thought. I don't know much about 2ed. Is there a class that would neatly explain all of Tarquin's combat abilities?

Ohiohi
2013-09-09, 01:21 AM
This is an interesting thought. I don't know much about 2ed. Is there a class that would neatly explain all of Tarquin's combat abilities?

Maybe a Bard(Blade kit) dual classed to fighter? the offensive and defensive spins are waaaay overpowered, and in the fight outside girard's ziggurat malck says that Tarquin was fighting defensively

F.Harr
2013-09-09, 12:38 PM
You know, I wouldn't put it past Tarquin to, as each new edition comes out, switch to whatever class best suits his short-and long-terms goals. He might be a little multi-classed for that reason.

The Kind Knido
2013-09-10, 06:10 AM
IP issues. The info on the SRD is part of something called the open gaming license, meaning anyone can use or distribute it without getting hauled away by lawyers (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0065.html). That's not true of the other published D&D source materials.

Looks like I really need to get a hold of every single source book of Dungeons and Dragons ever written.

That's going to be oh, say, hundreds of dollars over the course of years.

I really wish there was compendiums to combine entire Monster Manuals and Rule books. That would be awesome. Costly, but more efficient.

The one and only rule book I do have was from Amazon and I can't stand the blatant and purposeful poor service that thing provides. Luck would present me with a hobby store with a few scattered tabletop games. I found a Pathfinder Monster Manual, some Warhammer figures and card games I don't remember the name of.

Back on the topic of classes, I don't know what else to add. We know for a fact the class of Laurin now, and really, she has Ioun Stones floating around her head. I've just realized I haven't speculated on the black armour dude. He looks pretty dumb, so I'd say Barbarian or Barbarian/Blackguard because he wears dark armour and I'm in a bland mood.

Malack is obvious too, though I don't know why he would be so alright with walking around in broad daylight. He had to have known his spells would be too easy to dispel and therefore he'd be too easy to kill.

I say catgirl is a Shadowdancer. She just looks like a Shadowdancer and that class can hide without the use of shadows. You'd think in a world with only one shadow (the rest just being magical [MitD] or just regular darkness) that the assassin needed to escape the exploding hotel, that'd be a pretty useful class to take.

I wonder where the Shadowdancer from the hotel ended up anyways?

Jay R
2013-09-10, 10:57 PM
And then there's Fralack, a Lizardfolk Cleric with a Vampire template, who's currently just hanging around in a tavern waiting for Tarquin to show up and hire him.

gorocz
2013-09-11, 03:59 AM
While the guy's hair makes me think barbarian, I'm guessing the guy with the sword and shield is a blackguard. Tarquin doesn't work with loose cannons, as he said with Thog, so I'm not going to commit to barbarian, but he's probably the brutish power-attacker to Tarquin's duelist-esque finesse.

You know, from a reader of this comic, I would expect better than to perpetuate class stereotypes (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html). There's not much reason why barbarians have to be dumber or more impulsive than any other class. It'd play very well into the "opposites like LG but in a very different way, nearly to being similiar to the Order" spin that Team Tarquin has, if the Shoulder Pad Guy was a Barb that has a semi-decent INT/WIS and can utilize his Rage in a smart way - it doesn't lower your INT or WIS, you just can't focus or concentrate on something, but that doesn't mean you have to rush recklessly into anything before you...

That being said, since he is wearing a tabard (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html) and he is Sword and Board, I'm saying some sort of evil Paladin - Anti-Paladin, Paladin of Tyranny or even Blackguard.

ti'esar
2013-09-26, 12:33 AM
So, few more facts and/or inferences we can get from 921 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0921.html):

Miron is definitely a caster, not just someone who can use wands. He also definitely has a cruder speech pattern than the rest of the team we've seen so far, but I don't know what (if anything) that means.
The catfolk is probably named Jacinda, and we have even more reason now to believe she's an assassin.
Laurin may be the "token good teammate" people have been speculating about, at least metaphorically. I personally suspect they're all evil, but she seems less so than everyone except Shoulder Pad Guy, who's still a total cypher.

Kish
2013-09-26, 06:00 AM
Laurin may be the "token good teammate" people have been speculating about, at least metaphorically. I personally suspect they're all evil, but she seems less so than everyone except Shoulder Pad Guy, who's still a total cypher.

We'll see. Malack seemed a lot less evil than Tarquin until ~#870.

Leolo
2013-09-26, 06:51 AM
I think there are many points that suggest Tarquin has bard levels. His discussions with Nale and Elan about bards (and the wrong understanding of Nale what Tarquin meant by underpowered), That he teached Nale to do "Dun, Dun, Dun" for him and that he is using skills that are on the bards list (diplomacy, bluff - speak language looks like another point)

Also - even if this is only a hint - his genre savvyness, and that his sons are both arcane casters/gish builds.

But he also learned other combat tricks - snatch arrows, block elans puns, etc. and explicitly stated he had learned this.

So i don't think all his abilities can be explained by one class, and think he has at least one prestige class and maybe multiclassing, too.

Cerussite
2013-09-26, 07:10 AM
My speculation for Tarquin is a Swordsage/Dashing Swordsman.

- Diamond Mind counters would account for the high will save (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0851.html) that's not often seen in straight melee fighters.
- Setting Sun maneuvers would account for all the counter-tripping and throwing he does in that same strip.
- He'd need at least one level in Dashing Swordsman to pun-duel the way I see it, though.

Leolo
2013-09-26, 07:14 AM
He is not protected by haleys sneak attacks...so at least he is no rogue.

davidbofinger
2013-09-26, 09:14 AM
Ian Starshine started as a 1st edition thief. Was Tarquin was also a first edition character?

davidbofinger
2013-09-26, 09:17 AM
Malack was not of aristocratic birth (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0874.html) and he got on splendidly with Tarquin.

Exactly. And Laurin is at least publicly nothing more than an interior designer.

I wouldn't take anything Tarquin's saying now seriously, except perhaps what he says to his team mates. Insulting Haley, attacking Roy, perhaps even killing Nale ... it's all just to try to anger Elan.

Icedaemon
2013-09-26, 09:52 AM
The DNDWiki is ... well, atrocious, for lack of a better word. It is full of homebrew, and is often on the top few hits on a Google search when combined with "3.5" or "D&D".

So it is very easy to do a search for, say, "D&D warlord 3.5" and end up at a homebrew DNDWiki page.

It also has legitimate information (namely, the contents of the 3.5 SRD), but it's too easy to confuse the homebrew pages with the SRD pages, especially if you're just doing a casual search on a D&D term you don't know well.

Agreed. The Wiki is next to useless due to there being little to no labelling which clearly states if something is from a sourcebook or someone's homebrew creation.

Cerussite
2013-09-26, 10:14 AM
He is not protected by haleys sneak attacks...so at least he is no rogue.

Or barbarian. Or warblade.

sr123
2013-09-26, 03:01 PM
And then there's Fralack, a Lizardfolk Cleric with a Vampire template, who's currently just hanging around in a tavern waiting for Tarquin to show up and hire him.

Zing! Ha, take that "Tarkie!"

I so needed that. Willful evil I can handle, but his complete unwillingness to listen and think rationally is just pissing me off to an epic level at this point.

Anyway, classes: I've thought for a while Tarquin was a Factotum, at least by intention. But he hasn't cast a single spell, and since he's admonishing his teammate for not casting either, I'm thinking he's unlikely to have that ability.

Also, though nobody has been insistent on using OGL only, note that IP does not have to be obeyed in the Giant's mind. Tarquin could be, say, a Warlord in every way as long as he isn't explicitly marketed as such in the comic or published materials. Rich has already said in the forums that Thog was a Dungeoncrasher, for example (and I don't think Rich retains any of that IP).

Regarding Miron, he could always be a druid. There have not been many druids seen yet, and while they can be game-breaking, they're not cosmology-breaking like a wizard or cleric can be. Their bond need not be an animal companion, either. Cruddy fit so far, but keep an open mind.

And regarding Laurin... is it weird that I have a slight crush on her?

strijder20
2013-09-26, 03:08 PM

We've found her class: She's a feline genderbender.

Rover
2013-09-26, 05:04 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0915.html

Cat-woman here might be an assassin.

Panel 9 looks like preparation for a death attack.

Maybe just a rogue, a high enough sneak attack could achieve the same effect.

Matt620
2013-09-30, 08:05 PM
Given the context, I'm pretty sure CatGirl is Jacinda.

Druid for Miron? Possibly. His crude speech patterns don't make me think Miron's an idiot, he just makes me think the dude is eccentric. He waves his arms around a lot when he talks, he reminds of an easily excitable person, like Elan (granted, Elan is a moron, but Miron shows a lot more finesse when speaking)

The lack of armor makes me think a pure caster, though.

Nachoman_Randy
2013-10-01, 02:34 AM
Most likely Tarquin is a single classed fighter with lots of feats. He is almost 20, so thats a lot of feats to burn. Snatch arrow, combat expertise, etc and some skill feats like able learner or persuasive.

Mirion is a caster, either a wizard playing dumb or a sorcerer too much cool to care about manners. He could be a warlock too, but I doubt it.

Laurin is a psion, most likely the caster version.

Malack, cleric, easy.

Jacinda, rogue or rogue/assasin.

Shoulderpad Guy, either a fighter or blackguard. Hell, he coud be a barbarian with mithral armor. Im inclined to think a second most stardard builded fighter, unlike Tarquin wich spent a lot of feats on skills based feats.

Leolo
2013-10-01, 02:48 AM
It is possible, but are there actually arguments that lead into this direction?

Sure: He could get all this diplomacy and bluff abilities by feats & co. He could have learned to block puns and other strange combat techniques by unknown feats. And his comments that bards should rule the universe and that he once outwitted an opponent who could fight better don't have to mean that he has a different class than fighter.

Everything can be explained somehow, if you stretch it a little bit. You could even explain that Malack was upset to Tarquin for not using his full abilities if he is a fighter. Maybe there was one more feat? It's a stretch because the difference would be small, and "Tarquin has class abilities he does not use until now for dramatic reasons" is maybe a better theory. It is possible nevertheless.

But is there anything that hints in the direction "single classed figher" other than "well, he uses Weapons" ?

As said above there are hints for different class choices, that "he has many feats as a fighter" explains only with some stretches.

Kish
2013-10-01, 06:08 AM
It is possible, but are there actually arguments that lead into this direction?

Sure: He could get all this diplomacy and bluff abilities by feats & co. He could have learned to block puns and other strange combat techniques by unknown feats. And his comments that bards should rule the universe and that he once outwitted an opponent who could fight better don't have to mean that he has a different class than fighter.

Huh? You...

Everything can be explained somehow, if you stretch it a little bit.

You're twisting logic here. You're effectively pointing to a lot of things that don't suggest a specific class (he can block Dashing Swordsman puns, he once outwitted an opponent who could fight better--where was that anyway? does Roy outwitting Thog indicate Roy is not a fighter?...actually, is what Tarquin said in response to that incident what you mean?), that do suggest the fighter class ("combat techniques, strange and otherwise" are exactly what the fighter class is for), or that clearly indicate he's not a bard (he speaks of bards as an outsider). And then you condescendingly say, "Everything can be explained somehow, if you stretch it a bit," ignoring the fact that you've raised nothing that supports your position and you're the one doing the stretching.

As said above there are hints for different class choices
Try actually pointing one out, then. Which "He's competent at fighting, so he's not a fighter" doesn't equal. Nor does, "He breaks the fourth wall."

Leolo
2013-10-01, 06:25 AM
My point of view is more like this:

We don't know Tarquins class.

What we do know are things like the points mentioned above. And instead of looking how those can be explained by fighter bonus feats somehow we should simple check which class matches them best.

But you are right if you say i'm stretching it, too (for example that he doesn't use spells could be explained by drama, but is definitly a stretch).

Trillium
2013-10-03, 08:58 AM
Concerning the Shoulderpad Guy:
I'll just leave this here...

Seventh panel. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html)

(large image)
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/usgamer/Diablo-3-Crusader.jpg

F.Harr
2013-10-03, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure what this is a picture of. Other than the most aggressive use of censers ever. That's one mean Alter Servant.

Trillium
2013-10-04, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure what this is a picture of. Other than the most aggressive use of censers ever. That's one mean Alter Servant.

Oh sorry, I forgot to specify - it is the Crusader class from the upcoming Diablo III expansion.
What if the Giant's writing for Blizzard now? O_O

homeosapiens
2013-10-06, 03:13 PM
T does not use rapier - not dashing swordsman.

brionl
2013-10-06, 05:10 PM
Concerning the Shoulderpad Guy:
I'll just leave this here...

Seventh panel. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html)

That is almost all we know about SPG. I just noticed his sword is a funny color though.

I've said it before, probably even in this very thread, but I'm going with Psychic Warrior for him.

HylianKnight
2013-10-06, 09:42 PM
Haven't seen it mentioned here, but:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0921.html

2nd Panel - Further evidence of Jacinda (Cat-lady) being a stealth-based and sneak attacking class. Most likely Rogue, possibly Assassin.

4th Panel - Tarquin asks Miron to get in there and start casting. So we have a caster, Arcane would balance the party. He wears robes making Warlock less likely (since that class can wear light armor). So I guess that leaves Wizard or Sorcerer for him, as I can't think of any other likely casting classes that have arcane failure chances in light armor.

Trillium
2013-10-07, 02:29 AM
Haven't seen it mentioned here, but:

He wears robes making Warlock less likely (since that class can wear light armor).

And Malak wears robes even though he can wear plate armour. Probably because, like Miron, he got on the battlefield straight from peaceful palace duties.
Also, he may be hiding the armour beneath his robes.

Cerussite
2013-10-07, 08:40 AM
And Malak wears robes even though he can wear plate armour. Probably because, like Miron, he got on the battlefield straight from peaceful palace duties.
Also, he may be hiding the armour beneath his robes.

Maybe he's a cloistered cleric? A chain shirt would fit well inside the wide robes, and be nearly imperceptible.

Gift Jeraff
2013-10-07, 09:41 AM
Very little clerics in OOTS wear armour. It's actually easier to list the clerics we've seen who do wear armour: Durkon, Hilgya, and the unnamed cleric of Loki.

F.Harr
2013-10-07, 10:35 AM
That is almost all we know about SPG. I just noticed his sword is a funny color though.

I've said it before, probably even in this very thread, but I'm going with Psychic Warrior for him.

Maybe he's the one rand mook who decided that he would be MOOK NO MORE!

Mike Havran
2013-10-07, 12:26 PM
He is not protected by haleys sneak attacks...so at least he is no rogue.Well, at least he has no more than four levels of Rogue/Barbarian/Warblade less than Haley. Which doesn't say that much.

4th Panel - Tarquin asks Miron to get in there and start casting. So we have a caster, Arcane would balance the party. He wears robes making Warlock less likely (since that class can wear light armor). So I guess that leaves Wizard or Sorcerer for him, as I can't think of any other likely casting classes that have arcane failure chances in light armor.I think Miron is a sorcerer. His butt-washing-thing speech doesn't suggest high Int. And he probably isn't a druid, because Malack was complaining to Durkon about his hard time as a party healer and Druids make great healers.

HylianKnight
2013-10-07, 01:58 PM
I think Miron is a sorcerer. His butt-washing-thing speech doesn't suggest high Int. And he probably isn't a druid, because Malack was complaining to Durkon about his hard time as a party healer and Druids make great healers.

Ohhh, totally agree. That totally helps support that the 3 casters of TT were all different types if Malak had a monopoly on healing duties. Malak Divine, Laurin Psionic, Miron Arcane. Each one always partners up with one of the martial characters for their jobs so they can have mini-party balance.

Your right, the characterization so far suggests that he's not the bright bulb among the team members, so that makes a Charisma-based class much more likely.

I'm still a fan of the Sorcerer theory over Warlock, because while there's plenty of flavorful sense for several types of Clerics not to be wearing armor, I find it harder for the Arcane character who can in a high level adventuring party. But then again the one other Warlock we saw didn't, and we all know how much The Giant hates doing things based on player tendencies.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0730.html

Lombard
2013-10-07, 11:10 PM
Regarding Tarquin-

There was a homebrew prestige class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4628329&postcount=3) posted some years ago (before his first appearance) that fits him pretty much to a 'T'. As for his base class, fighter for sure.

Trillium
2013-10-08, 01:26 AM
Regarding Tarquin-

There was a homebrew prestige class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4628329&postcount=3) posted some years ago (before his first appearance) that fits him pretty much to a 'T'. As for his base class, fighter for sure.

Hah, that's awesome! That class is genius!

AKA_Bait
2013-10-08, 10:18 AM
I agree that 921 dooms any warlock suggestion for Miron. Unless I'm misremembering, D&D warlocks don't actually cast spells, they use invocations.

Sorcerer also does seem to fit better than Wizard in my book. That he was not the one that opened the gate is a clue to me that he's a spontaneous caster and gate isn't on his list.

Cerussite
2013-10-08, 10:42 AM
Sorcerer also does seem to fit better than Wizard in my book. That he was not the one that opened the gate is a clue to me that he's a spontaneous caster and gate isn't on his list.
Indeed, I can't imagine someone with a 19+ intelligence referring to a bidet as a butt-washy thing in a language they're proficient in.

Matt620
2013-10-11, 05:51 PM
I agree that 921 dooms any warlock suggestion for Miron. Unless I'm misremembering, D&D warlocks don't actually cast spells, they use invocations.

Tarquin only said "get in there and start casting." It could just be shorthand.

ti'esar
2013-10-11, 07:04 PM
Very little clerics in OOTS wear armour. It's actually easier to list the clerics we've seen who do wear armour: Durkon, Hilgya, and the unnamed cleric of Loki.

Actually, I think Redcloak and all of the goblin clerics based off his appearance are supposed to be wearing armor. There's also various background characters like the leader of the adventuring party that went up against Team Tarquin in the past. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0816.html) The clerics who don't wear armor, like Brother Hiram and the Azurites, are generally those in a permanent and safe position. Malack is actually the only "adventuring" cleric I can think of who doesn't wear armor.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-10-11, 08:30 PM
Haven't done the theorycrafting necessary to confirm this, but it is possible that Malack doesn't wear armor because it wouldn't improve his AC (he has a high DEX, and etc) and wearing armor has drawbacks.

Also, he is not min-maxing, maybe he just doesn't like it. Black robes have style.

sengmeng
2013-10-12, 02:40 PM
I think Tarquin is a normal fighter with a lot of overpowered homebrew custom feats, possibly with some that mimic maneuvers.

Kish
2013-10-12, 02:48 PM
He really doesn't need overpowered homebrew feats for anything we've seen him do. Just a defensive feat build, contrasted to Roy's offensive feat build.

Oko and Qailee
2013-10-12, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=Psyren;15964141]What are people judging Miron = Sorcerer on? He hasn't cast any spells on-panel that I can remember.

I judge it on two factors

1.) He's not wearing armor, that would suggest (but not confirm) an arcane class.

2.) He's using a wand. You would need either spellcaster levels or UMD to use them, and that's cross-class for other armorless classes like Monk, if I recall

3) they're a D&D party and Tarquin mentioned that an Arcane caster is typical in one, so it stands to reason that he would have one. This isn't proof, but further suggests the plausibility.

Oko and Qailee
2013-10-12, 06:30 PM
He really doesn't need overpowered homebrew feats for anything we've seen him do. Just a defensive feat build, contrasted to Roy's offensive feat build.

or a few maneuvers. Everything hes done so far can probably be covered in 3 feats/maneuvers

sengmeng
2013-10-13, 05:55 AM
or a few maneuvers. Everything hes done so far can probably be covered in 3 feats/maneuvers

I must have missed the splatbook with the pun defense feat...

Sir_Leorik
2013-10-13, 12:36 PM
T does not use rapier - not dashing swordsman.

True, but while pun-fighting Elan, Tarquin always used a dagger (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0761.html), which is considered a light weapon.

Kish
2013-10-13, 12:42 PM
It's the same one the Dashing Swordsman class comes from.

...Um, my copy doesn't mention a feat being needed to counter a Dashing Swordsman's puns by topping them, though.

Oko and Qailee
2013-10-13, 12:51 PM

I meant of things that aren't homebrewed.

Psyren
2013-10-15, 12:34 AM
For the record, I do think Miron is a sorcerer or at least some other form of Cha-based caster (Warlock?). As others have said he's not very smart ("butt-washing-thing") but more importantly his manner of speech is very laid-back/flippant like Xykon and Jephthon. ("Whatever man, let's go kill some dudes.")

I was just wondering if the Giant had let anything slip or there was some other evidence I was unaware of.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-10-15, 01:13 AM
I buy that.

Sir_Leorik
2013-10-17, 10:46 AM
For the record, I do think Miron is a sorcerer or at least some other form of Cha-based caster (Warlock?). As others have said he's not very smart ("butt-washing-thing") but more importantly his manner of speech is very laid-back/flippant like Xykon and Jephthon. ("Whatever man, let's go kill some dudes.")

I was just wondering if the Giant had let anything slip or there was some other evidence I was unaware of.

It's all circumstancial evidence. We can assume Miron is an Arcane caster, and that's it. Maybe a Wizard, maybe a Sorcerer, maybe a Warlock.

Given that Laurin is a Psion, an Intelligence based class which has limited powers but can be very adaptable by spending power points, it would make sense for Miron to be a Charisma based Sorcerer (limited number of spells known, more flexible than Wizard) or Warlock (very few powers known, but they are mostly At-Will powers).

Basically Tarquin's team would have a limited ability to adapt to any situation; Malack would need to prepare healing spells in advance, Laurin and Miron's powers or spells are fixed. But they make up for it in flexibility; Laurin can Manifest a Power at it's base level or Augment it, as needed. By choosing the right powers, she can cover the team's transportation and interrogation needs, as well as supplement the team in combat. If Miron is a Sorcerer he needs to select his spells with care, but he has the same flexibility that Xykon has displayed. If Miron is a Warlock, he has a small number of At-Will Attack powers, plus a few Encounter Attack Powers and a few Utility Powers. (Unhappy with this description? Sue me; the 3.5 Warlock was a beta test for 4E.) That means Miron never runs out of juice; his Eldritch Blast is always armed.

But we don't know which class he actually has yet.

AKA_Bait
2013-10-17, 11:42 AM
Tarquin only said "get in there and start casting." It could just be shorthand.

Why would "casting" be shorthand for "blasting" (which is most of what 3.5 warlocks do)?

Coat
2013-10-17, 11:58 AM
Haven't done the theorycrafting necessary to confirm this, but it is possible that Malack doesn't wear armor because it wouldn't improve his AC (he has a high DEX, and etc) and wearing armor has drawbacks.

He didn't need it. Lizardman (+5AC) and Vampire (+6AC) gave him as much protection as full plate when standing in his bare skinscales.

And unlike full plate, scales don't clank. Not an unimportant concern, given a vampire's (un)natural ability at stealth.

Also, it might have been difficult to find a suit of plate armour that fits on someone with no hips.

Benthesquid
2013-10-17, 12:27 PM

Well, he wasn't of aristocratic birth, but he might have been of aristocratic undeath- we don't know who turned him.

F.Harr
2013-10-17, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure Tarquin needs to be highly-born to be a snob. There are self-made people who are as dismissive of those "beneath" them as people born into it. Possibly more as they don't have people telling them their whole life, "you were lucky, don't be a jackass and ruin it for everyone".

Sloanzilla
2013-10-17, 12:42 PM
Miron is almost speaking in lewtspeak. He sounds like a WoW player, or, worse, a Runescape player.

F.Harr
2013-10-17, 12:42 PM
"Lewt-"???

Kish
2013-10-17, 12:51 PM
You've never heard a pile of coins talk?

Haley has.

Tridax
2013-10-17, 12:54 PM
Miron does seem very... relaxed. He actually reminds me of Richard from LFG a little. I do support the sorcerer theory, since I doubt a wizard wouldn't know how to call a bidet, well, bidet. Still, Miron looks interesting (partly because I don't think I've ever read about mages who's priority is money)

Sloanzilla
2013-10-17, 01:06 PM
I applaud Miron's efforts to avoid getting the flu by covering his mouth

Matt620
2013-10-17, 02:55 PM
Why would "casting" be shorthand for "blasting" (which is most of what 3.5 warlocks do)?

Cause it's pretty much the same thing. You get in there and cast your spells whether Sorcerer, Wizard, or Warlock. It's just Warlocks have different types.

Sir_Leorik
2013-10-17, 03:41 PM
Cause it's pretty much the same thing. You get in there and cast your spells whether Sorcerer, Wizard, or Warlock. It's just Warlocks have different types.

3.5 Warlocks don't actually have any spells to cast. They have spell-like abilities, which usually involving blasting someone in the face with hellfire.

EDIT: In 4E, Warlock powers are called "spells", the same as any other powers from the Arcan Power source.

AKA_Bait
2013-10-17, 04:12 PM
3.5 Warlocks don't actually have any spells to cast. They have spell-like abilities, which usually involving blasting someone in the face with hellfire.

EDIT: In 4E, Warlock powers are called "spells", the same as any other powers from the Arcan Power source.

Just to be sure that there isn't any confusion on this point, OotS does not use 4e (other than as part of the bonus material in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails).

Psyren
2013-10-17, 05:08 PM
Miron could also be a Wilder - I don't think Rich has lampooned them anywhere yet. It would be interesting if the three tan members of Tarquin's party all used psionics - Laurin the Psion, Miron the Wilder and the stoic fellow at the back being a Psywar.

Matt620
2013-10-17, 05:11 PM

Let's have Tarquin say "It wouldn't be such a waste if you got in there and starting using your spell-like abilities"

It would sound pretty stupid, wouldn't it. That's why I call it shorthand.

Psyren
2013-10-17, 05:22 PM
"If you got in there and started invoking" would probably be the right terminology. But that would also give away what he was.

Gift Jeraff
2013-10-21, 08:31 AM
So warlock's out. Probably a sorcerer.

Psyren
2013-10-21, 08:43 AM
Yeah I'm leaning back towards sorcerer now.

He could also be another cleric or even favored soul.

What defensive spell did he use? It can't have been protection from arrows, because Haley's bow would have bypassed that on every shot, but one was deflected and the other two connected.

juicycaboose
2013-10-21, 09:14 AM
What defensive spell did he use? It can't have been protection from arrows, because Haley's bow would have bypassed that on every shot, but one was deflected and the other two connected.

that looks like Shield to me

maybe he's an abjurant champion :smalltongue:

AKA_Bait
2013-10-21, 09:27 AM
that looks like Shield to me

maybe he's an abjurant champion :smalltongue:

Seems more like Mage Armor or Greater Mage Armor to me. Shield creates a large disk of force, which this doesn't seem to be doing. That said, it could also be caused by whatever magical items he is wearing.

juicycaboose
2013-10-21, 09:35 AM
Seems more like Mage Armor or Greater Mage Armor to me. Shield creates a large disk of force, which this doesn't seem to be doing.

Oh no kidding, I've obviously failed to notice the bit where it says "tower-shield sized" in the spell description before

Sky_Schemer
2013-10-21, 09:57 AM
He could also be another cleric or even favored soul.

Almost certainly not a cleric. In a thread long past, Rich stated that Tarquin expected Malack to fill the role of the party's healer (which put an additional strain on his limited spell slots, which was the discussion in that thread, but that's another matter). This would not be the case if Minon was, himself, a cleric.

EDIT: Here's the reference (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15715754#post15715754).

Mr.Tickles
2013-10-21, 10:19 AM
Tarquin is so catch arrows in 925.

Psyren
2013-10-21, 10:50 AM
Almost certainly not a cleric. In a thread long past, Rich stated that Tarquin expected Malack to fill the role of the party's healer (which put an additional strain on his limited spell slots, which was the discussion in that thread, but that's another matter). This would not be the case if Minon was, himself, a cleric.

EDIT: Here's the reference (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15715754#post15715754).

Rich's quote said in THIS party, i.e. the Linear Guild (of which Miron was not a member) - not his original party of Team Tarquin. So that quote doesn't necessarily apply here.

Oh no kidding, I've obviously failed to notice the bit where it says "tower-shield sized" in the spell description before

We've seen Shield in OotS, it's indeed pretty big. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0861.html)

Another possibility for Miron's weird-partial-arrow-deflection-ability is Entropic Shield, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entropicShield.htm) which would indeed block 1 arrow out of 3.

AKA_Bait
2013-10-21, 11:00 AM
Another possibility for Miron's weird-partial-arrow-deflection-ability is Entropic Shield, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entropicShield.htm) which would indeed block 1 arrow out of 3.

This seems less likely than Mage Armor to me also, in part because the field is supposed to be visible normally (which there's no sign of here). Also it's duration is minutes rather than hours. Thus, I'd expect to have seen Miron cast it, as there really hasn't been an opportunity for off panel buffing for TT. Mage Armor and it's ilk, on the other hand, are a "get up in the morning and cast it on yourself" kind of spell that we wouldn't expect to see being cast right before battle for a high level character.

1337Noooob
2013-10-21, 11:38 AM
Pretty sure the Cat-Folk is an assassin, and from OOTS 921, it's revealed that her name is probably Jacinda.
Tarquin is likely a fighter or an epic-level something else. The reason why is because in OOTS 925 he caught 2 arrows at once, and the only way to do that is use the feat Infinite Deflection, which is basically snatch arrows but you can do it to as many projectiles as you want. It's an Epic-Level feat, so I think the only way to get it pre-epic is go fighter (or do you have to be an Epic Character to get epic level bonus feats? That does make more sense).
Miron is a spellcaster of some sort, maybe a Bard Wizard/Sorceror, since he does not really look like a Cleric. Bard isn't a class Tarquin would approve of, and Miron seems a little dumb for a wizard (Not a very enhanced vocabulary), so likely a sorceror. I doubt him to be a Psion or Wilder, because Lauren

Psyren
2013-10-21, 02:34 PM
For the record, Mage Armor (and therefore Sorcerer) are at the top of my short list. I'm just not ruling anything out.

hamishspence
2013-10-21, 02:46 PM
It's an Epic-Level feat, so I think the only way to get it pre-epic is go fighter (or do you have to be an Epic Character to get epic level bonus feats? That does make more sense).

Even fighters normally have to be 21st level and above to take epic feats. However, this is Effective Character Level- so a character with a race or template that has a high LA, can qualify earlier- Malack, for example, may have qualified despite only having 12 or so levels of cleric

Also, in Draconomicon, "dragons of Old age or older" qualify regardless of the normal level requirement- hence Kobolds taking the Dragonwrought feat to gain the Dragon type- once old enough, even low level dragonwrought kobolds can take those feats if the feats have no other prerequisites.

Matt620
2013-10-21, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I'm going with Sorcerer too.

juicycaboose
2013-10-21, 08:51 PM

Yeah I thought of Entropic Shield (and by extension Entropic Warding if he were a warlock) but as i said in the main discussion thread it doesn't seem very likely as the description of entropic shield mentions a glowing multicoloured field

e. my money's on sorcerer and has been for a while :smallamused:

Sky_Schemer
2013-10-21, 10:16 PM
Rich's quote said in THIS party, i.e. the Linear Guild (of which Miron was not a member) - not his original party of Team Tarquin. So that quote doesn't necessarily apply here.

This comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0735.html) suggests otherwise.

Living Oxymoron
2013-10-23, 12:48 AM
I believe that Miron is a Factotum for reasons I've already (exhaustively) explained in some threads around here.

Jacinda is a Rogue, probably with some levels of Assassin too, but Rich can always surprise us.

Maybe the shoulderpad guy (the only unnamed character of TT until now) is a Knight. I used to think he was a fallen paladin/blackguard, but I think his armor and clothes are too "knighty", so that is my bet now.

Taelas
2013-10-23, 01:03 PM
While it is possible that Miron is a factotum, it is far more likely that Miron is a sorcerer. His speech patterns and word usage are similar to Xykon's. He's laid back, uses diminutive nicknames like 'Tarkie', and calls a bidet for a "splashy butt-washing thing". While not conclusive, it is indicative.

For similar reasons, it is also unlikely that he's a wizard. He just doesn't seem to have the Int score those classes usually require.

The remaining candidate that I am aware of is druid, which doesn't really fit him at all. So sorcerer is my vote, for the time being.

Psyren
2013-10-23, 03:10 PM
This comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0735.html) suggests otherwise.

It's moot now anyway since Clerics don't get BP.

The remaining candidate that I am aware of is druid, which doesn't really fit him at all. So sorcerer is my vote, for the time being.

Hm, point. Didn't realize druids got GDM so I had mentally written that one off. But he's definitely one of the two.