View Full Version : Int-Based Monk Without a Feat

Rubik
2013-08-30, 10:50 PM
Is there a way to do this? I know you can spend a feat to get Int to AC and such, but I don't want to spend a precious, precious feat (My Preciousssss...) to do something that seems fairly reasonable to do without one (without houserules).

On that same vein, other than the halfling monk sub-level, is there a way to gain 6+ skill points per level as a monk (also without a feat)?

Thinking about an Int-based character with a few levels in monk, and I'd like to find a few upgrades in these areas.

Hytheter
2013-08-30, 10:56 PM
Pretty sure there's no way to do it. There might be an ACF, but with two feats that do the same thing I doubt it.

If you're focusing on Int though, you won't need lots of skill points. If you're human, you get a bonus feat to alleviate the feat problem and it gives bonus skill points too. (or Strongheart Halfling, which also lets you get the halfling sub levels, but no extra skills except at those levels).

Really, a high INT human monk with Kung Fu Genius/Carmendine Monk does what you need. If that feat is too taxing, don't play an intellegent monk.

HunterOfJello
2013-08-30, 11:06 PM
I don't think you can grab either of those without spending feats. If you need more feats, then there are ways to do that. You can make a pact with a devil to gain an extra feat via a Faustian Pact. They can be found in Fiendish Codex II pg 24.

Unarmed Swordsage and Halfling Monk are the only 6+ int classes i know of that are monk-type. I think there is an int-based monk in pathfinder, but I'm not sure and using pathfinder in 3.5 is houseruling.

Rubik
2013-08-30, 11:08 PM
Pretty sure there's no way to do it. There might be an ACF, but with two feats that do the same thing I doubt it.

If you're focusing on Int though, you won't need lots of skill points. If you're human, you get a bonus feat to alleviate the feat problem and it gives bonus skill points too. (or Strongheart Halfling, which also lets you get the halfling sub levels, but no extra skills except at those levels).

Really, a high INT human monk with Kung Fu Genius/Carmendine Monk does what you need. If that feat is too taxing, don't play an intellegent monk.Trading feats in for something when you might be able to get that something for free rubs me the wrong way.

And you can never have enough feats or skill points.

Not even then.

I'd go for swordsage, but there are a few ACFs I want specifically from monk, and I also want to go unarmored for a few reasons.

ZeroNumerous
2013-08-30, 11:26 PM
I'd go for swordsage, but there are a few ACFs I want specifically from monk, and I also want to go unarmored for a few reasons.

Unarmed Swordsage loses its armor proficiency, so if you can find some way to do the same thing as those ACFs with Unarmed Swordsage then you're better off with that.

Aside from that: Others have already mentioned Kung Fu Genius.

Hytheter
2013-08-30, 11:31 PM
Trading feats in for something when you might be able to get that something for free rubs me the wrong way.

And you can never have enough feats or skill points.

Not even then.

But Swordsage uses Wisdom too, and to my knowledge doesn't have a way of solving that even with feats. Unless you going swordsage is you giving up on Int altogether.

Telonius
2013-08-30, 11:33 PM
I suppose Enlightened Fist would be out of the question?

Psyren
2013-08-31, 11:41 AM
Ironskin Monk from PF gets dodge bonuses to AC and natural armor instead of Wis to AC. It doesn't make Int important though, so much as it makes Wis less important. Since they also lose fast movement you can pretty much wear light armor.

Darrin
2013-08-31, 01:38 PM
Warblade 20. Put a couple skill ranks into Knowledge: Religion. Take Improved Unarmed Strike and the Superior Unarmed Strike. Call yourself a "monk". If anyone disagrees with you, pummel them with your fists until they stop.

Rubik
2013-08-31, 01:47 PM
Warblade 20. Put a couple skill ranks into Knowledge: Religion. Take Improved Unarmed Strike and the Superior Unarmed Strike. Call yourself a "monk". If anyone disagrees with you, pummel them with your fists until they stop.I'm not sure how that gets me [Stat] to AC without armor or the you-don't-have-to-qualify-for-them epic fighter feats at 1st and 2nd level.

Deflecting nuclear missiles and Meteor Swarms by level 2? YES!

[edit] The full build is gestalt:
martial monk 2/factotum 3/chameleon 2/illithid savant 10/legacy champion 3 // Shaper 20.

Totally going to abuse illithid savant, too, since it's a super-optimized single-player game against very nasty foes.

Lateral
2013-08-31, 07:39 PM
I'm not sure how that gets me [Stat] to AC without armor or the you-don't-have-to-qualify-for-them epic fighter feats at 1st and 2nd level.

Deflecting nuclear missiles and Meteor Swarms by level 2? YES!

HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS
yes yes want want

Rubik
2013-08-31, 08:06 PM
HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS
yes yes want wantThe martial monk (from Dragon Magazine) adds all fighter feats to your monk list (which, according to the monk entry, do not require prerequisites for you to get). Infinite Deflection and Exceptional Deflection are epic feats that fighters can take using their fighter feats, and so they count. The first allows you to use Deflect Arrows an infinite number of times per round, and the second allows you to deflect basically anything with a ranged attack roll, from Rays of Idiocy to Meteor Swarms.

Lateral
2013-08-31, 08:26 PM
The martial monk (from Dragon Magazine) adds all fighter feats to your monk list
Ah. Nice trick.

Hytheter
2013-09-01, 02:54 AM
I'm not that works. I'm pretty sure the Fighter Bonus feat list and the Epic Fighter Bonus Feat list are separate lists. Note there are separate bonus feat lists for all the epic classes.