PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Theory on Tarquin and his Idiot Ball

Malanthyus
2013-08-31, 12:33 AM
Let's start with a word of warning, i'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to say about the current scenario Tarquin has presented to Haley.

What's caused such an uproar on the forums isn't so much that Tarquin has framed Haley's dad, but rather that this action doesn't really help him either to manipulate the order of the stick, or to get them to the next gate as quickly as possible to prevent Xykon from gaining control of it.

While it has been demonstrated before that Tarquin is petty and vindictive, we've never seen an instance before where he put that before his goals and his own practical interest.

The other inconsistency in the conversation is Tarquin referring to Haley as "such lowly stock" and his expressed statement that Ian irritated him by speaking as if they were equals.

Taking these into account, I believe what we're seeing here is Tarquin creating a test for both Haley and Elan, but not necessarily in the obvious one presented.

The obvious solution is for the order to immediately set out to track down Ian and get him out of the country before the bounty hunters succeed in either killing him, or bothering to capture him, but that scenario would in fact be harmful to Tarquin's own goals.

I think Tarquin's actual test is for either Haley or Elan or both to come up with a lateral thinking solution to the problem, or make a counter offer/threat to him, proving both Haley's competency and the order's ability to be a credible threat to Xykon.

Kareasint
2013-08-31, 02:10 AM
I think that he is waiting for Elan to agree to "assistance" in return for removing the bounty. Haley was there to react to the bounty poster. The reaction places additional pressure on Elan.

Deliverance
2013-08-31, 08:56 AM
Yet another case of Tarquin trying for multiple objectives, either of which will help him, such that no matter what happens he will consider it a win - or at least not a loss:
Framing somebody for the murder of the ambassador.
Dealing with an escaped enemy.
Getting Elan to tacitly accept his authority.
Testing Haley's worth as an asset and checking how she reacts to manipulation. Friend, family, or stranger - Tarquin is a big believer in people's value as assets to be manipulated.
Testing the OOTS group dynamics - they are on a mission of great importance, the race to the last gate yadayadayada that Elan considers a threat to the entire world; Will they step aside to deal with a personal mission or not? Who will decide? Are there internal weaknesses in the group that can be exploited for manipulation?

If Ian is killed or captured by bounty hunters, Tarquin gets #1 and #2.

If Ian is rescued by Elan & Co. and sent into exile in the northern lands, Tarquin gets #1, #2, and possibly #3, and as a bonus, he doesn't have to pay the bounty. (Not that the money matters much, but hey, it is yet another victory!)

If as has been hinted at early, Geoff is in Tarquin's pay, it is likely that Tarquin is in a good position to swoop in before any rescue succeeds, at which point he'll make an offer for Ian's life, which will underscore to Elan that you have to go to Tarquin for solutions, giving Tarquin #1, #2, and likely #3.

#4 and #5 is more in the line of information gathering for future use.

...and so on and so forth.

DolGrenn
2013-08-31, 09:05 AM
Or maybe Tarquin's lying about something for some unforeseen reason.

DeadMG
2013-08-31, 09:54 AM
Yet another case of Tarquin trying for multiple objectives, either of which will help him, such that no matter what happens he will consider it a win - or at least not a loss

You're wrong. Consider:

The order goes to rescue Ian.
During this time, Xykon completes the ritual and takes over the world.
Tarquin loses BIG TIME.

This sort of ploy only makes sense if you believe that Elan does not have a task of literally universal importance to attend to, whose failure would be the end of Tarquin and everything he ever wanted.

The Pilgrim
2013-08-31, 10:17 AM
You're wrong. Consider:

Tarquin loses BIG TIME.

This sort of ploy only makes sense if you believe that Elan does not have a task of literally universal importance to attend to, whose failure would be the end of Tarquin and everything he ever wanted.

Not necessary.

Since Elan has refused his father's aid, and they are still in the middle of the desert with no teleporting, the Order needs to either go to a big city and purchase a teleport scroll, or go to the shore and take a ship.

So, forcing them to return to Bleedingham (which could be, indeed, the nearest big city, depending of the location of Windy Canyon) isn't really that much of a detour for them.

Adittionaly, if Tarquin forces the Order to lose some days while searching for Ian, the Order may decide that they need to accept Tarquin's Teleporting in order to compensate for the lost time.

FujinAkari
2013-08-31, 10:48 AM
You're wrong. Consider:

Tarquin loses BIG TIME.

Except... that is exactly what Tarquin DOES believe. He has never seen, heard from, or seen any evidence that Xykon actually exists, nor does he understand the ritual or have any real understanding of the Snarl or what the Snarl does.

To date, despite the Big Bad, Scenery-Chewing Villain coming here, he (as far as Tarquin knows) never actually showed up and the damage was done by Elan's group. Tarquin has no real reason to suspect Xykon is any more than some crazy wizard that talks big and is any more than a roadbump on Elan's path to greatness.

Pyron
2013-08-31, 12:38 PM
Except... that is exactly what Tarquin DOES believe. He has never seen, heard from, or seen any evidence that Xykon actually exists, nor does he understand the ritual or have any real understanding of the Snarl or what the Snarl does.

To date, despite the Big Bad, Scenery-Chewing Villain coming here, he (as far as Tarquin knows) never actually showed up and the damage was done by Elan's group. Tarquin has no real reason to suspect Xykon is any more than some crazy wizard that talks big and is any more than a roadbump on Elan's path to greatness.

Tarquin has been told everything about the nature of the Gates by Nale (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0821.html). Also, unless he chooses to remain ignorant on world affair's then he should be aware of the fact that the Azure City has been taken overthrown by a Goblin regime (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0702.html), then he has plenty of evidence that Xykon is a threat. Finally, Tarquin is smart enough to recognize that a villain planning world-domination is bad for his plans (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0762.html).

His genre savvyness is a better explanation for his willingness to throw Elan and company into a side-quest. In his mind, if Xykon is planning to conquer the world, then story line conventions will guarantee that the heroes will show up at the last minute to stop his ritual, no matter what.

SavageWombat
2013-08-31, 12:42 PM
Make it a clearer statement:

The big bad never succeeds in destroying / conquering the world. The hero always stops him.

Ergo: Tarquin does not fear the world being destroyed, as it won't happen. So he continues with his own plans.

FujinAkari
2013-08-31, 12:56 PM
Tarquin has been told everything about the nature of the Gates by Nale (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0821.html).

Quite true, but Nale's information comes from Shojo, and Shojo knew NOTHING about the ritual. Thus, Nale appears to be simply guessing at what Xykon's plan actually is, and Tarquin likely knows it. The fact that Xykon, apparently, never even showed up reinforces this belief.

Also, unless he chooses to remain ignorant on world affair's then he should be aware of the fact that the Azure City has been taken overthrown by a Goblin regime (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0702.html), then he has plenty of evidence that Xykon is a threat.

An city being overthrown lets Tarquin know that it is Tuesday, not that someone is a credible threat.

Porthos
2013-08-31, 01:06 PM
The more I think about my personal "Force Elan to Accept My Help" theory, the more I like it.

Before the Ian Starshine revelation, there was a chance Elan/Haley could just blow off Tarquin's help and take their chances getting to Kraagor's Gate in time on their own.

Utterlly illogical for Team OotS to reject Tarquin's help given they need to get to their destination ASAP? Perhaps. On the other hand, look what happened the last time they accepted a shortcut from Tarquin.

In short, it was a variable in Tarquin's planning.

But if you force Team OotS to spend time to find/save Ian then they are much more willing to be forced to accept Tarquin's aid.

Being dependant on Tarquin might be reason enough. Never mind factoring in whatever else he has up his sleeve.

===

Is the above theory wrong? Probably. Simply because there's so many to choose from. But it's the one I'm running with. :smalltongue:

Pyron
2013-08-31, 01:18 PM
Quite true, but Nale's information comes from Shojo, and Shojo knew NOTHING about the ritual. Thus, Nale appears to be simply guessing at what Xykon's plan actually is, and Tarquin likely knows it. The fact that Xykon, apparently, never even showed up reinforces this belief.

An city being overthrown lets Tarquin know that it is Tuesday, not that someone is a credible threat.

Elan if a hero of your caliber is involved in a quest of such significance that you can't spare more than three days for your old man - then logic dictates that it probably involves trouncing some cliche scenery-chewing villain bent on world conquest.

As the current ruler of one-third of the continent, I have a vested interest in you doing exactly that. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0762.html)

Xykon's a threat. Tarquin acknowledges that. Otherwise, he wouldn't bother to help Elan at all.

Porthos
2013-08-31, 01:27 PM
There's also the point that Tarquin thinks he is the main plot end goal and that this Xykon character is just a sidequest for Elan to do while he level grinds (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html).

So, from his perspective, giving a different short term sidequest is probably a favor for all of the fans of Elan's Excellent Adventures.

After all, the readers of Elan's Excellent Adventures would much rather spend time on a quest that advances the main plot than this stupid sidequest involving Gates that Team Elan keeps getting distracted about. :smallwink:

Imgran
2013-08-31, 01:43 PM
All of this ignores the possibility of Haley either

1: Writing her father off -- maybe not without a tear in her eye or a promise of future revenge, but they are doing something pretty important, and they're on a tight schedule. a lot more people than one Ian Starshine are going to die if they can't stop Xykon in time.

2: Assuming her father can take care of himself and trusting him to do exactly that. He's a fairly high-level rogue and he's been in some pretty bad scrapes. And if Tarquin does catch Ian again, Ian would rather die himself than be used as leverage to allow Tarquin to control Haley, so there's that to consider.

Some combination of both of those should be sufficient to put a monkey wrench in that plan, if that's what it is.

Astroturtle
2013-08-31, 02:05 PM
2: Assuming her father can take care of himself and trusting him to do exactly that. He's a fairly high-level rogue and he's been in some pretty bad scrapes. And if Tarquin does catch Ian again, Ian would rather die himself than be used as leverage to allow Tarquin to control Haley, so there's that to consider.

Theory time: Ian is as epic at being a Rogue as Tarquin is at being a fighter. And while Tarquin thinks Elan is the one who's going to take him down, its going to be Ian in the end who kills him, somewhere nice and discreet rather than in some epic legend spawning brawl.

Synesthesy
2013-08-31, 02:34 PM
There's also the point that Tarquin thinks he is the main plot end goal and that this Xykon character is just a sidequest for Elan to do while he level grinds (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html).

So, from his perspective, giving a different short term sidequest is probably a favor for all of the fans of Elan's Excellent Adventures.

After all, the readers of Elan's Excellent Adventures would much rather spend time on a quest that advances the main plot than this stupid sidequest involving Gates that Team Elan keeps getting distracted about. :smallwink:

Well... it could be. Xykon IS important for Elan, and HE is the main quest of the Order of the Stick. But for Elan, Tarquin is his own main quest. Remember that killing Xykon is Roy's life goal, not Elan (nor V, nor Durkon, nor Belkar, nor Hayley).

Vendanna
2013-08-31, 02:49 PM
Nah, tarquin is sending them into a sidequest so Roy can get a level of psion from laurin before facing Xykon, since its far easier to relay orders by mind and also will allow him to use his int on combat. :smallbiggrin:

F.Harr
2013-08-31, 03:18 PM
What idiot ball?

Framing somebody for the murder of the ambassador.
Dealing with an escaped enemy.
Getting Elan to tacitly accept his authority.
Testing Haley's worth as an asset and checking how she reacts to manipulation. Friend, family, or stranger - Tarquin is a big believer in people's value as assets to be manipulated.
Testing the OOTS group dynamics - they are on a mission of great importance, the race to the last gate yadayadayada that Elan considers a threat to the entire world; Will they step aside to deal with a personal mission or not? Who will decide? Are there internal weaknesses in the group that can be exploited for manipulation?

All possible.

You're wrong. Consider:

Tarquin loses BIG TIME.

Not necessary.

Since Elan has refused his father's aid, and they are still in the middle of the desert with no teleporting, the Order needs to either go to a big city and purchase a teleport scroll, or go to the shore and take a ship.

So, forcing them to return to Bleedingham (which could be, indeed, the nearest big city, depending of the location of Windy Canyon) isn't really that much of a detour for them.

Adittionaly, if Tarquin forces the Order to lose some days while searching for Ian, the Order may decide that they need to accept Tarquin's Teleporting in order to compensate for the lost time.

Point and counterpoint.

Make it a clearer statement:

The big bad never succeeds in destroying / conquering the world. The hero always stops him.

Ergo: Tarquin does not fear the world being destroyed, as it won't happen. So he continues with his own plans.

But, couldn't the big bad smoosh Tarquin in the meantime?

All of this ignores the possibility of Haley either

1: Writing her father off -- maybe not without a tear in her eye or a promise of future revenge, but they are doing something pretty important, and they're on a tight schedule. a lot more people than one Ian Starshine are going to die if they can't stop Xykon in time.

Some combination of both of those should be sufficient to put a monkey wrench in that plan, if that's what it is.

The Tarquin will manipulate her. But yeah, that's a point and it could be Haley growing past dealing with what's in front of her in order to move the mission along.

But I don't know if I could do it.

genderlich
2013-08-31, 03:30 PM
Theory time: Ian is as epic at being a Rogue as Tarquin is at being a fighter. And while Tarquin thinks Elan is the one who's going to take him down, its going to be Ian in the end who kills him, somewhere nice and discreet rather than in some epic legend spawning brawl.

I like this theory. I doubt it'll turn out true, since we still haven't seen Elan's plan he set up with Durkon, but I like it.

Imgran
2013-08-31, 06:27 PM

Counterpoint: Ian was caught in the first place.

Now granted, he may have gained experience and levels while in prison. That can certainly happen to a PC, and a rogue in particular. A generous DM would have given him tons of credit for surviving in Tarquin's prison for multiple years and that credit might extend as far as XP, roleplaying and otherwise. But Ian isn't a match for Tarquin levelwise, and he doesn't have the kind of power base to operate on this continent. Even a rogue needs a few safe houses and Ian can count on NOTHING. A rogue can play to his strengths in that environment, but going up against an empire without some kind of support base, he's eventually going to be isolated and captured or neutralized.

Even worse, he's not just going up against Tarquin and his empire, he's going up against a psion, which is probably a big part of why he was caught in the first place. Even if he could use the rogue's bag'o'tricks against Tarquin, Lauren has him outclassed.

He's also going up against whatever that kitty is. Likely a rogue or assassin in her own right. That removes a lot of whatever of his biggest advantages Lauren can't neutralize.

I'm sure the other party members can make life interesting for a lone rogue too. It's not like rogues are supreme ninja first class. They're sneaky, but it has limits.

DeadMG
2013-08-31, 07:00 PM
Counterpoint: Ian was caught in the first place.

He let himself be captured. It's a popular theory that the only reason he can't escape now is because Geoff is informing on him to Tarquin.

hoff
2013-08-31, 07:12 PM
I wonder if there is a bounty hunter union or something and Enor put a bad word on the Empire of Blood bounties, then no other bounty hunter would try to take that bounty.

OR Enor will find Ian and make a deal with him to get revenge on Tarquin.

I mean it's an obvious place to put Enor and his pal back in the comic.

Imgran
2013-08-31, 07:20 PM
I wonder if there is a bounty hunter union or something and Enor put a bad word on the Empire of Blood bounties, then no other bounty hunter would try to take that bounty.

OR Enor will find Ian and make a deal with him to get revenge on Tarquin.

I mean it's an obvious place to put Enor and his pal back in the comic.
I like your first theory.

"Don't take a contract from this General Tarquin guy. It's not worth your time. Sure it's a generous bounty but the guy's bad news. He likes to think he's clever so he won't play straight with anyone, and he's the big bully on the block, so no one can call him on it. That kind never pays full price once they get what they want, so even if you bring the guy in I wouldn't ever count on seeing your money.

"I completed a contract for him and it was a disaster. He screwed me over bigtime on what should have been a standard business deal because he exactly the kind of egotistical jerk that has to has to try to play an angle to prove his cleverness, instead of being honest with his contractors. That's bad news for an independent businessman like ourselves. No matter what deal you strike, expect him to try to get cute about it and pull some scheme out of his backplate to try to shaft you. I know because it happened to me.

"And this Ian Starshine guy? He's got a rep that stretches over 2 continents. This is a high level Rogue, a really tough target at the best of times and barely worth the risk even if you can trust your client to pay in full on delivery. With this guy as your client? Forget it. Find an easier mark"

coineineagh
2013-08-31, 07:47 PM
Tarquin recognized Ian when he saw him upon his release, that's why he let Kilkil get the records. I believe there's more to Ian's imprisonment than just revenue collected from Bozzok every month, and that part he is not telling Elan.

Tarquin went to some trouble to make sure Elan would know about the bounty on Ian's head before any actual bounty hunters did. Even if Ian is uncooperative, a simple Sending from Haley will make him aware he is being hunted. I believe that a highish-level rogue like Ian will have no trouble hiding in shadows safely, and I think Tarquin knows this too. Perhaps Tarquin simply doesn't want Ian operating his resistance openly, and this action serves to limit Ian's freedom of movement. It is likely related to why Tarquin recognized Ian when he saw him.

Taelas
2013-08-31, 07:57 PM
Tarquin recognized Ian when he saw him upon his release, that's why he let Kilkil get the records. I believe there's more to Ian's imprisonment than just revenue collected from Bozzok every month, and that part he is not telling Elan.

Tarquin went to some trouble to make sure Elan would know about the bounty on Ian's head before any actual bounty hunters did. Even if Ian is uncooperative, a simple Sending from Haley will make him aware he is being hunted. I believe that a highish-level rogue like Ian will have no trouble hiding in shadows safely, and I think Tarquin knows this too. Perhaps Tarquin simply doesn't want Ian operating his resistance openly, and this action serves to limit Ian's freedom of movement. It is likely related to why Tarquin recognized Ian when he saw him.

Tarquin didn't recognize Ian. He had Kilkil get the records precisely because he didn't know who he was dealing with. He wouldn't have needed them if he knew who Ian was.

Mike Havran
2013-08-31, 08:28 PM
I wonder if there is a bounty hunter union or something and Enor put a bad word on the Empire of Blood bounties, then no other bounty hunter would try to take that bounty.That's likely. But it's also likely that one of high-ranking members of the union is a winsome catfolk rogue, and the Empire of Blood will get a revolution soon, with general Tarquin fleeing to exile somewhere in the vicinity of the eastern coast.

ReaderAt2046
2013-08-31, 10:01 PM
I think there's yet another angle going on here. If Haley, Elan, and the Order rescue Ian and escape with him to the Northern Continent, or even back to Greysky, then Ian will be removed from the EoB, thus negating one of the larger threats to the smooth running of Team Tarquin. He might not even have put out a real bounty, he just sees an opportunity to get Ian out of his hair.

Or... and this is particularly cruel and vile, so it seems very Tarquin, what if it's all a Secret Test Of Character for Haley, where in order to pass she has to abandon her father for the sake of the Greater Good. So if Haley tries to save Ian, Tarquin judges her unworthy and does everything in his power to catch both her and Ian.

Bulldog Psion
2013-09-01, 01:50 AM
Or... and this is particularly cruel and vile, so it seems very Tarquin, what if it's all a Secret Test Of Character for Haley, where in order to pass she has to abandon her father for the sake of the Greater Good. So if Haley tries to save Ian, Tarquin judges her unworthy and does everything in his power to catch both her and Ian.

I have a strong suspicion that you are correct.

dtilque
2013-09-01, 02:50 AM

This seems to me to be very likely. Tarquin seems to be a in near constant state of testing everyone around him: Nale, Elan, Roy that we've seen so far. I expect him to do the same for Haley.

DeadMG
2013-09-01, 07:33 PM
Tarquin didn't recognize Ian. He had Kilkil get the records precisely because he didn't know who he was dealing with. He wouldn't have needed them if he knew who Ian was.

He had Kilkil get the records because he was sure he recognized him, but just couldn't remember where from. In fact, the very first thing Tarquin says in 814 when he sees Ian is that he's sure he knows Ian from somewhere.

Dalek Kommander
2013-09-01, 09:07 PM
Tarquin loses BIG TIME.

You don't actually believe that's a serious option, do you?

I could give you several "little" reasons that this story won't end that way, such as the Oracle's prediction that Elan will have a happy ending, not to mention the fact that Redcloak lied to Xykon about who the ritual actually gives control of the gate to, as Tsukikko was shocked to learn just before she died.

But the biggest reason it won't end that way is that this is a fantasy adventure story, and fantasy adventure stories that start with a villain plotting to rule the world by using an arcane ritual to control an eldrich abomination NEVER, EVER, EVER end with the villain completing the ritual, controlling the eldrich abomination, and ruling the world. We all try to pretend it could happen to maintain the illusion of danger, but deep down we all know Xykon will be stopped. The only question is how.

Tarquin knows that his side-quest will appear to increase the danger that Xykon will complete his plans, but what he's actually doubling is a zero percent chance.

Dalek Kommander
2013-09-01, 09:15 PM

At exactly what point did Tarquin strike you as someone who cares so deeply about the "greater good"? If anything, I would expect him to approve of Haley choosing family over selfless altruism.

Taelas
2013-09-01, 10:51 PM
He had Kilkil get the records because he was sure he recognized him, but just couldn't remember where from. In fact, the very first thing Tarquin says in 814 when he sees Ian is that he's sure he knows Ian from somewhere.

... :smallconfused:

That is the exact opposite of what 'recognize' means. It literally means you identify something from previous knowledge. Tarquin couldn't identify Ian, even though he was sure he had met him before.

Forikroder
2013-09-01, 10:59 PM
Let's start with a word of warning, i'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to say about the current scenario Tarquin has presented to Haley.

What's caused such an uproar on the forums isn't so much that Tarquin has framed Haley's dad, but rather that this action doesn't really help him either to manipulate the order of the stick, or to get them to the next gate as quickly as possible to prevent Xykon from gaining control of it.

While it has been demonstrated before that Tarquin is petty and vindictive, we've never seen an instance before where he put that before his goals and his own practical interest.

The other inconsistency in the conversation is Tarquin referring to Haley as "such lowly stock" and his expressed statement that Ian irritated him by speaking as if they were equals.

Taking these into account, I believe what we're seeing here is Tarquin creating a test for both Haley and Elan, but not necessarily in the obvious one presented.

The obvious solution is for the order to immediately set out to track down Ian and get him out of the country before the bounty hunters succeed in either killing him, or bothering to capture him, but that scenario would in fact be harmful to Tarquin's own goals.

I think Tarquin's actual test is for either Haley or Elan or both to come up with a lateral thinking solution to the problem, or make a counter offer/threat to him, proving both Haley's competency and the order's ability to be a credible threat to Xykon.

i dont think this has anything to do with Xykon, a heros capability before the final climactic battle has nothing to do with how they perform during it, if there not up to snuff theyll trip over some +5 rapier of lichbane or something to ensure that the Hero wins in the end

whatever Tarquin is truly up to , theres simply not enough information to know what it is, new information is being revealed fast enough that near future events are being based on them (like this strip)

That is the exact opposite of what 'recognize' means. It literally means you identify something from previous knowledge. Tarquin couldn't identify Ian, even though he was sure he had met him before.

he could identify him well enough to know he should be able to identify him better

BroomGuys
2013-09-01, 11:18 PM
You don't actually believe that's a serious option, do you?

I could give you several "little" reasons that this story won't end that way, such as the Oracle's prediction that Elan will have a happy ending, not to mention the fact that Redcloak lied to Xykon about who the ritual actually gives control of the gate to, as Tsukikko was shocked to learn just before she died.

But the biggest reason it won't end that way is that this is a fantasy adventure story, and fantasy adventure stories that start with a villain plotting to rule the world by using an arcane ritual to control an eldrich abomination NEVER, EVER, EVER end with the villain completing the ritual, controlling the eldrich abomination, and ruling the world. We all try to pretend it could happen to maintain the illusion of danger, but deep down we all know Xykon will be stopped. The only question is how.

Tarquin knows that his side-quest will appear to increase the danger that Xykon will complete his plans, but what he's actually doubling is a zero percent chance.

Well, yes and no. The main villain does always almost succeed, and in fantasy stories, this often means his plan does work so that the heroes have to beat him at his new absurd power level. It sort of depends on the situation whether we're likely to get this thing, but for all Tarquin knows "Xykon completes the ritual and controls the snarl only for the heroes to find some MacGuffin or use the power of friendship to defeat the snarl itself" is still on the table. And he's another villain, too, and villains don't always ascend to ludicrous levels of power, but when they do, they kill off any other villains in the process.

Forikroder
2013-09-01, 11:22 PM
Well, yes and no. The main villain does always almost succeed, and in fantasy stories, this often means his plan does work so that the heroes have to beat him at his new absurd power level. It sort of depends on the situation whether we're likely to get this thing, but for all Tarquin knows "Xykon completes the ritual and controls the snarl only for the heroes to find some MacGuffin or use the power of friendship to defeat the snarl itself" is still on the table. And he's another villain, too, and villains don't always ascend to ludicrous levels of power, but when they do, they kill off any other villains in the process.

they kill of nearby villains who were partners 30 seconds ago

when Villains ascend they dont go around the world wiping out all traces of evil they can find

2.5 cats
2013-09-02, 08:35 AM
Great first post.

I don't see this "side quest" as taking any significant amount of time. As others have pointed out, it's more likely just leverage for Elan & co. to agree to be teleported to the Northern Continent (something which is most definitely in Tarquin's interest.)

Even if the OOTS has to find Ian, one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the OOtS could use a Sending spell to locate Ian very quickly, at least if Ian is willing to respond. "Ian Tarquin put a 25000 gold reward for your head. We can get you to safety with Haley. Leaving tomorrow. Meet us at *** OK?" or something like that.

Hopeless
2013-09-02, 09:05 AM
Exactly how long was Ian being held over in that prison?

Roughly speaking it was maybe a year or two before the Origin of the PCs book was released where Haley learns her father is being held prisoner and she's been given a ransom request.

I was wondering if Ian was part of one of the adventuring groups Tarquin mentioned back when describing how he liked to jump in at the last moment and steal the heroes prize from them.

Made me wonder if perhaps Ian went to prison to escape being hunted down and Tarquin has only just realised whose been hiding in his prison all this time...

After all that comment about him being offended by the former prisoner acting as if he was equal may be because he's Tarquin's nemesis who Tarquin thought was either dead or fled the continent if that prison cell's anti-magic field works on both magic and psionics it makes a darn good place to hide if you were being hunted wouldn't it?:smallwink:

F.Harr
2013-09-02, 01:32 PM

Well, Elan needs as much help as humanly possible.

Sending the sending and leaving money for him would be a good thing. But Ian won't leave. He's got a Mission. I don't know that he'll abandon it.