PDA

View Full Version : Character idea

jlousivy
2006-12-20, 02:58 AM
Soon my DM is going to start up a second campaign for my friend and i and he's going to allow me to have a character that has multiple personalities

normal: monk, LG helps people, and he thinks he 'faints' randomly, and always in combat

avenger: CG and thinks he's his deity's fist, no-nonsense, biggest enemy: evilguy -- wears the 'tradedy' mask

evilguy?: CE hates the world and especially the monk who's body he takes over '-- wears a horendously evil looking mask (DM plays this character if i'm not there to play)

In addition, the 2 'special' personalities know everything that goes on from that body, and of the other personalities, the 'normal' guy just is clueless and doesn't know why he wakes up in places he wasn't before

both his shuriken and mask are hidden in his robes.... but he doesn't know that he even has them(normal guy)

The DM will tell me when each personality takes over

What do you guys think? any suggestions?

Necomancer
2006-12-20, 03:10 AM
This will either be a very great character or a very horrible mistake.

jlousivy
2006-12-20, 03:16 AM
i have that feeling too... it's a 2-person campaign so maybe he'll tailor it to be really cool, besides it'll let me play 2(maybe 3) completely distinct personalities.
the other person playing will be pretty much protecting him from his-self (when he goes evil) and keeping him full of excuses for why he's where he is or what happened

Leon
2006-12-20, 05:15 AM
Reminds me of a idea me and a friend were tossing about - a Paladin by day and a Blackguard by night, came down to me not wanting to be the one to run the world with that PC in it

MandibleBones
2006-12-20, 05:27 AM
Reminds me of a idea me and a friend were tossing about - a Paladin by day and a Blackguard by night, came down to me not wanting to be the one to run the world with that PC in it

Yeah, but Wee Jas would probably allow it, 'cause it'd amuse her.

Thomas
2006-12-20, 05:28 AM
I'd just like to register my loathing of characters with "multiple personalities," since the "disorder" is part of the whole mish-mash of nonsense psychiatry/psychology that includes childhood (ritual) abuse, repressed memories, and so on ...

Of course, in D&D, it can be some sort of curse or supernatural disorder, so it works out in the context of a game. The whole Jekyll/Hyde angle is fairly cool. (Or is that the Malken/Tristen -angle?)

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-20, 10:32 AM
This sounds pretty funny what would trigger the changes in personality.(besides the DM saying so)

Thomas
2006-12-20, 10:36 AM
Not getting enough attention, maybe?

Black Hand
2006-12-20, 11:03 AM
It's complicated, but can be done and if done right can be quite fun. I've had a somewhat similar experience in the past, and there were three different characters in one being. They did have to do Opposed wisdom checks if they were vying for bodily control of the being they were part of.

My only difference was is that these three characters were for three separate players, and they BOTCHED the wording of a Wish from an Efreet...In the abyss no less which F***s up alteration magic even worse, causing them to fuse into one being. As crazy at it sounds, they had lots of fun with it before they found a way to 'separate' themselves.

jlousivy
2006-12-20, 11:37 AM
Well any and all combat triggers a transformation away from the normal self, and then there are other triggers the DM will have set and if any of them occur... bam one of the personalities take over

Khantalas
2006-12-20, 01:04 PM
We had a paladin / assassin once. Remember him, anyone?

jlousivy
2006-12-20, 02:47 PM
oh on that note: since my character is lawful good, he's a monk, however whenever the other personalities take over, they use his body but they act CG and CE respectively, does that void out the monks alignment restriction?

Khantalas
2006-12-20, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't think so, based on the fact that aforementioned paladin / assassin was LG. Even as an assassin.

But ultimately, DM rules.

Galahad
2006-12-20, 04:40 PM
I dont think that the other personalities alignments are a problem. A monk that becomes nonlawful still retains his monk abilities, so they should be able to use them just fine. Assuming his main personality (LG) is the one he assumes most often, it should also be the one he levels as.

Now, if this character was a paladin, there are two ways it could be done. Normally, the other personalities would lose the paladin abilities because of their alignment. On the other hand, they could assume the Paladin of Freedom and Paladin of Slaughter variants from the SRD.

But yea, i dont think it would violate the monk vows.

Xartyve
2007-01-19, 12:49 AM
Just thought I'd put this on page 1 for no reason