PDA

View Full Version : Pets for the party

Andurian
2013-08-31, 09:44 AM
Just made a post about DMing so this is sorta related. We recently killed an Owlbear. One of our characters is a bit of an artist and drew an adorable owlbear and mentioned wanting one as a pet. Considering hobgoblins actually trained one, I was completely unable to make any form of argument against eventually having one as a pet.

How should I go about this? I know handle animal has DC for training magical beasts. That being said, there is literally no way the goblins passed the DC to train the beast... should I keep it that high anyway?

I was thinking of letting us (DMPC) get a baby one and slowly rearing it. I am hesitant about giving everyone a pet that is stronger than us O.o

What do you think?

Sucrose
2013-08-31, 09:56 AM
Unless you have massive amounts of downtime, it is unlikely that the Owlbear will be stronger than the members of party by the time that it's ready to fight. PCs level remarkably quickly, given a steady adventuring diet. So there's not much need to worry on that front, unless you frequently take a few months/years of downtime.