PDA

View Full Version : In Case of Emergency

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-31, 11:21 AM
As I believe was recently pointed out (as a joke), Elan doesn't seem to have a last name. In fact, other than Vaarsuvius (whose lack of a surname may be an Elven thing) I think Elan is the only main character without an established last name.

Is he saving it for emergency, like Daigo? That seems like a genre-savvy thing Elan might do.

If he had called out Nale's last name when he was stabbed, would that have saved Nale's life?

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-31, 11:36 AM
I don't think they have the same last names, if they even have last names.

Elan Theodore Bard or Elan Lane (son of Lena Lane)
Nale Tarquinius (son of Alen "Tarquin" Tarquinius)

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-31, 11:59 AM
I don't think they have the same last names, if they even have last names.

Elan Theodore Bard or Elan Lane (son of Lena Lane)
Nale Tarquinius (son of Alen "Tarquin" Tarquinius)

Ahh, I hadn't considered the possibility that Elan was using his mother's maiden name.

When they were married, do you think she went by Lena Tarquinius, or used the hyphenated Lena Lane-Tarquinius?

Chronos
2013-08-31, 12:07 PM
In the Haleo and Julelan kickstarter PDF, he comments at one point that he's not even sure what his last name is.

Pyron
2013-08-31, 12:09 PM
(son of Alen "Tarquin" Tarquinius)

I always thought that Tarquin was his last name, and that he was given a girl's first name, Jenn Earl Tarquin (hence why he never refers to it).

tassaron
2013-08-31, 12:11 PM
I always thought that Tarquin was his last name, and that he was given a girl's first name, Jenn Earl Tarquin (hence why he never refers to it).

This is my headcanon now.

littlebum2002
2013-08-31, 12:13 PM
I agree. I could really not see a Chaotic Good barmaid using the last name of an Evil dictator.

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-31, 12:18 PM
I agree. I could really not see a Chaotic Good barmaid using the last name of an Evil dictator.

Unless she took his last name before she knew he was an evil dictator, and by then the kid had the same name, and she didn't want to confuse the kid by changing her name back and having the kid have a different last name than her.

What? That's what happened to my sister...

SavageWombat
2013-08-31, 12:40 PM
The thing is, while most of the OotS characters have last names, in D&D the tradition is for both one-named and multi-named characters. So who knows what The Giant is intending.

Grey Watcher
2013-08-31, 03:09 PM
Given that rejecting their father has been part of the story arc for both Elan and Nale in this book, I think it would be... confusing to the audience to have them start using their father's surname after avoiding it for so long. (Honestly, the way things are going, I'd be willing to bet that Elan's planning on taking Haley's surname when they get married.)

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-31, 03:25 PM
Given that rejecting their father has been part of the story arc for both Elan and Nale in this book, I think it would be... confusing to the audience to have them start using their father's surname after avoiding it for so long. (Honestly, the way things are going, I'd be willing to bet that Elan's planning on taking Haley's surname when they get married.)

Elan Starshine... Has a nice ring to it.

F.Harr
2013-08-31, 03:32 PM
It does.

But Elan's mom might not HAVE a surname. She does live in a little village and surnames are only really useful in large communities.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-31, 03:48 PM
Elan Starshine... Has a nice ring to it.

Damn, this is exactly what went through my mind when I read the Grey Watcher's post. Then I scrolled down and saw you already posted it. Are you a future psychic? :smallsigh::smallamused:

Turgon9357
2013-08-31, 04:01 PM
This is my headcanon now.

Hear, hear!

dps
2013-08-31, 06:40 PM
Unless she took his last name before she knew he was an evil dictator, and by then the kid had the same name, and she didn't want to confuse the kid by changing her name back and having the kid have a different last name than her.

What? That's what happened to my sister...

Who was she married to? Idi Amin? Pol Pot? :smallbiggrin:

Imgran
2013-08-31, 07:54 PM
Nale, however, WOULD have had a last name. even if it was simply Tarquinson or something similar.

Koo Rehtorb
2013-08-31, 09:13 PM
Elan Tarquinson

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-31, 09:17 PM
Damn, this is exactly what went through my mind when I read the Grey Watcher's post. Then I scrolled down and saw you already posted it. Are you a future psychic? :smallsigh::smallamused:

Maybe... Did you know I was going to say this? I think you did.

Who was she married to? Idi Amin? Pol Pot? :smallbiggrin:

Nah, just a douchebag who's in jail now.