PDA

View Full Version : Book to Movie/ TV

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-20, 09:39 AM
What books would you like to see translated to either movie or television form. which would you prefer. Remakes are OK also but tell us why you didn't like the first one.

I have always wanted to see Salvatore's Dark Elf Books made into a movie I think I would like to see some really good 2d animation I don't think live action could do it justice.

WampaX
2006-12-20, 10:01 AM
The Justicar Series (White Plume Mountain, Decent Into The Depths of the Earth, and Queen of the Demonweb Pits) by Paul Kidd.

Good times, good times. And shifting them to a visual media would just be even more fun.

Om
2006-12-20, 10:19 AM
State & Revolution

Tengu
2006-12-20, 10:19 AM
I have always wanted to see Salvatore's Dark Elf Books made into a movie I think I would like to see some really good 2d animation I don't live action could do it justice.

Somehow that reminded me of the D&D animated series. I also imagined Drizzt drawn in such a way.

Amotis
2006-12-20, 01:04 PM
Somehow that reminded me of the D&D animated series. I also imagined Drizzt drawn in such a way.

Dang it! Look what you started! I can't imagine him as anything else now...

Thes Hunter
2006-12-20, 02:14 PM
Any of the diskworld series by Terry Pratchett. :smallbiggrin:

Jibar
2006-12-20, 02:33 PM
After Hogfather I think a few more of the Death stories would be good.
Or maybe a Rincewind one...

However, I would rather like to see the Deptford Mice series made into a film.
First really scary books I read. Murder, mystery and magic. Besides, I'd love to see all the gore.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-20, 03:01 PM
Yeah, a Discworld movie would be great. My choice, Night Watch. To me that book was so epic it almost didn't quite seem like the same series. Hogfather would be my second choice.

Ender's Game is already being worked on, Narnia is being done, so no help there...

Midworld by Alan Dean Foster would be spectacular.

I also think a decent Call of Cthulhu film would be very interesting.

The MYST series of books based on the game would make a fantastic movie as well.

Bookman
2006-12-20, 03:13 PM
I'd almost like a remake of Princess Bride. With the same actors. Even mostly the same script. Or even just go and film the "Zoo of Death" and other juicy bits from the book that got cut for the budget.

Is it too much to ask them to bring back Andre the Giant from the dead? :wink:

Hmmmmmmmmm well supposedly they were supposed to be doing a Runelords movie but I haven't heard any info in forever. That'd be a good one.

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-20, 03:36 PM
I'd almost like a remake of Princess Bride. With the same actors. Even mostly the same script. Or even just go and film the "Zoo of Death" and other juicy bits from the book that got cut for the budget.

Is it too much to ask them to bring back Andre the Giant from the dead? :wink:

This is a good one. I love the book and movie but if they used the same actors it would look a little different. The zoo of death would be great... zombie Andre the Giant and fat (well much heavier anyway) Mandy Patinkin:smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the hitchhikers guide books made as movies.

MrsbwcMD
2006-12-20, 09:33 PM
American Gods by Neil Gaiman--though I thought I heard somewhere that it might be made into a movie. I could be wrong.

Logic
2006-12-21, 03:36 AM
I think Secret War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_War_%28comics%29) would make a good movie.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-21, 04:06 AM
Elric of Melnibone would be good.

I agree, a really high quality Night Watch would be good. But only if Terry Pratchett is writing the screenplay- otherwise many important things may be lost in translation, such as the cigar case which would make me want to find and kill the director and writer.

One of the most interesting Terry Pratchett movies would be Carpe Jugulum, which is one of my favorites of his books. Or Mort- we need to see the origin of Susan, and we already have the costume and voice actor for Death.

Randorn
2006-12-21, 06:56 AM
The Hyperion tetralogy by Dan Simmons. Fully animated CG-Shrike, rawr.

Fallout would be nice, though it's hardly a book. The setting offers vast possibilities for great camera shots, but writing the screeplay would be a hard work. Good screenplay, that is.

adanedhel9
2006-12-21, 09:28 AM
Elric of Melnibone would be good.

I seem to recall that an Elric movie had been in the works in recent years, and everyone was worried that Hollywood would ruin it with a happy ending. I don't have anything to support that, though.

My vote? Just about anything by Christopher Moore would make a fun Sci-fi channel movie.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-21, 09:48 AM
The Truth and Going Postal would make very good movies- you do not need any background knowledge of Discworld, and the stories are quite gripping.

slipnslide
2006-12-22, 11:44 AM
Survivor -- Chuck Palaniuck

tape_measure
2006-12-22, 04:43 PM
Slipnslide - I could hug you. I think Luulabye would make for a great film also! Hell, anything by Chucky P. would be great!

On another note: The Infinity Gauntlet Series (including the crossovers) would be a wetdream come true. Though, the funding for that would 2 cents shy of Trump Tower. Maybe somethig more low budgeted like a Fantastic Four and Spidey crossover is possible. Or oohhh! The Avengers...ok, i need to stop with the comics, huh?

I found out J. Depp was working on The Rum Diary, one of my favorite HST novels so that's out the window, now. Though, I would like to see his latter book...that has escaped me now...well crap! The one with HST on teh cover in a cowboy hat, cigarette and whiskey in hand, flipping off the camera in front of a 'no smoking sign'...anyone?

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-22, 04:51 PM
I have recently found out, they have done a decent Call of Cthulhu- it was done by the Lovecraft Historic Society, or something. It is a silent, black and white film, and it is supposed to have been done incredibly well for a story that is essentially impossible to make a movie of- Lovecrafts writing style does not fit to well with the third person aspect of movies.

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-22, 04:51 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned it but I think the dark tower series by Stephen King wold be kind of cool. maybe as a mini series like they did with the stand.

Turcano
2006-12-22, 06:40 PM
If it were possible, I would like to see the Discworld series on the silver screen. It would be a terribly ambitious project; if you wanted to use the same actors, you would need to shoot a half-dozen films a year to keep the actors from aging too much. If I had to pick one movie from the series, it would be Small Gods.

I'm also a member of the Old Guard in Tolkien fandom, so I would want to see The Lord of the Rings done right for once.

Dragonrider
2007-01-01, 02:34 AM
I'm pretty critical of any movies made from books....

But I'd like to see Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles. NOTHING to do with that awful cartoon they called "The Black Cauldron". I can't stand it when I mention the series and people immediately think of that movie. CURSE WHOEVER MADE IT! I'd love see the REAL THING. And not compressed into one movie, 5 movies like there are 5 books.

That would be an ambitious project...I doubt I'll ever see it happen...

Totally Guy
2007-01-01, 07:27 AM
I believe Jack Black is doing a movie adaptation of Yes Man by Danny Wallace.

I'd love to see it work as I loved that book. I was looking for a review to quote but then I found an advert for the book (http://www.boekclip.com/dannywallace/).

Neo
2007-01-01, 09:33 AM
I agree with making the Drizzt series into something but i'd say it would work better as an animated TV series, as there are too many books and you won't get enough screen time to make the movie look that good.

Single FR volumes would work probably, like Elminster: The Making of a Mage.

Dragor
2007-01-01, 10:20 AM
The Sabriel series by Garth Nix- to TV would be better than movie. I love those books.

Lord of the Helms
2007-01-02, 01:15 PM
What books would you like to see translated to either movie or television form?

Any book that I have not read is fine. I've only ever enjoyed one book-based TV adaption that I'd read the book for (that being the old Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series). It just doesn't translate well.

Serpentine
2007-01-07, 10:03 AM
If it were possible, I would like to see the Discworld series on the silver screen. It would be a terribly ambitious project; if you wanted to use the same actors, you would need to shoot a half-dozen films a year to keep the actors from aging too much. If I had to pick one movie from the series, it would be Small Gods.
Well, the series spans years on Diskworld, so as long as you filmed them in chronological order aging shouldn't be a problem.

Turcano
2007-01-07, 02:28 PM
Well, the series spans years on Diskworld, so as long as you filmed them in chronological order aging shouldn't be a problem.

You would still need to do multiple movies a year. The Discworld series is over thirty books long; if you did one movie a year, you would have a lot of turnover in the older actors at least.

Don Beegles
2007-01-07, 05:01 PM
Of course, some of them don't have anything to do with each other, of course. You could do a series at a time, and either just get new guys for the random little appearances in other ones (Nobby in Maskerade, for one) or maybe use the magic of makeup and hope noone really notices/cares that Vimes is more than a bit older in Monstrous Regiment than he was in Night Watch.

Serpentine
2007-01-08, 10:19 AM
I thought of one. All the Troubles of the World or All the Problems... or something like that, by Isaac Asimov. It's just a short story, but I think it'd make a great thriller/mystery.

Crazy Owl
2007-01-08, 10:57 AM
Something by Dan Abnet, who does a lot of Warhammer 40K books, would be quite good. They seem to have good amount of action mixed with amazing story lines. I think the Eisenhorn trilogy could quite easily be made into a trilogy of films.

Plus they could probably get a lot of money just out of 40K fans going to see them in fact I would enjoy them more is they were more directed to those who already know 40K than others. Although it could just have a quick paragrapgh of speech explaining the gist of the Universe like the Firewarrior game did.

CuthroatMcGee
2007-01-08, 11:10 AM
Though I am very mistrustful of turning books into movies (see Lord of the Rings, Fight Club, Harry Potter, Hitchhiker's Guide, Starship Troopers, I could go on and on) I would have to ask for a the Song of Ice and Fire series, by George R. R. Martin. If rendered right, those movies would be the most epic movies ever made.
Also, on the subject of Discworld, Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters have both been made into movies. Night Watch would be the best book to remake in the entire series.

Crazy Owl
2007-01-08, 12:12 PM
I never knew Fight Club was a book first? Should read that at some point.

tape_measure
2007-01-08, 12:18 PM
Wait. there's someone out there that really didn't like Fight Club as a movie?

CuthroatMcGee
2007-01-08, 01:04 PM
The movie was fine. But the book was better. The book is always better unless the movie came first.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-09, 06:15 PM
Night Watch, would, as I said, have to have the screenplay and script written by Pratchett for it too work right. After watching the blunder that was the Lord of the Rings movies, I do not put it past the company who was making the movie to put in some last minute editing that ruined it. As a testament to my case, there was actually a Mort movie in the works years ago- it was done as a coalition between three companies I believe. One of the companies (the American one, BTW) actually wanted to tone down the Death aspect. So the other two companies decided to put the project into the bin. Want proof?
- Speaking of movies, what happened to the plans for a movie based on Mort?

"A production company was put together and there was US and Scandinavian and European involvement, and I wrote a couple of script drafts which went down well and everything was looking fine and then the US people said "Hey, we've been doing market research in Power Cable, Nebraska, and other centres of culture, and the Death/skeleton bit doesn't work for us, it's a bit of a downer, we have a prarm with it, so lose the skeleton". The rest of the consortium said, did you read the script? The Americans said: sure, we LOVE it, it's GREAT, it's HIGH CONCEPT. Just lose the Death angle, guys.

Whereupon, I'm happy to say, they were told to keep on with the medication and come back in a hundred years."

"The person also said that Americans "weren't ready for the treatment of Death as an amusing and sympathetic character". This was about 18 months/2 years before Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey."

"Currently, since the amount of money available for making movies in Europe is about sixpence, the consortium is looking for some more intelligent Americans in the film business. This may prove difficult.

It could have been worse. I've heard what Good Omens was looking like by the time Sovereign's option mercifully ran out -- set in America, no Four Horsemen... oh god."

"What you have to remember is that in the movies there are two types of people 1) the directors, artists, actors and so on who have to do things and are often quite human and 2) the other lifeforms. Unfortunately you have to deal with the other lifeforms first. It is impossible to exaggerate their baleful stupidity."

That was written sometime after his eighteenth book, Maskerade.

Jewel Thief
2007-01-10, 01:33 AM
Gaunt's Ghosts. I'd love to see Corbec and Larkins.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-01-10, 03:40 AM
The strategy guide for Final Fantasy IV, that thing was huge :D

j/k

American Gods by Neil Gaiman--though I thought I heard somewhere that it might be made into a movie. I could be wrong.

Not so sure about American Gods actually being done, but to be honest I would never want to see it truly realised as a movie. It's too epic. Too huge. They would have to make it a series of at least say 4 movies to begin to grasp it properly.I agree, if it was done right and they were allowed to do the WHOLE THING, I would watch it. Especially to see the Loa, Baron Samedi, inhabiting DiDi from Death: The High Cost of Living near the end when the Battle is about to begin.

I know Stardust is actually being done right now, as noted by this revelation regarding Sir Ian McMagneto: http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=8397

Can't wait to see it. I know the remainder of Gaiman-involved movies minus Mirrormask (so good, so very very good) have all been axed or as Mr.Sandman was supposedly quoted as saying "trapped in development hell, and may they rot there forever".

The book I'd love to see turned into a movie? Good Omens, by Gaiman & Discworld's Own Terry Pratchett. It was originally going to be made, with Monty Python's own Terry Gilliam directing it, but that sunk. Never got picked back up, and if it ever did, I'd probably scream in excitement at an octave so high diamonds would shatter.

I put my hand in for anything Discworld as well, and another book series I'd really like to see as a movie would probably be The Dreaming Dark series by Keith Baker (Sorry Rich!).

Now that I think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing an animated movie of OOTS, it'd be heaps good fun! And there are books of the comics out now, so it kind of fits in with this thread...huzzah!

Cheers
JS

Archonic Energy
2007-01-10, 01:16 PM
well after butchering Asimov's works to make "I, Robot" i beleve that Hollywood owe Asimov fans something good. i think a mini series based on the Foundation storyline will do Nicely.

ans maybe a series based on the events in the diskworld novels. movies wouldn't be long enough for some of the stories.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-10, 04:06 PM
I think it would be pretty cool to see L.E. Modesitt's Saga of Recluce as a movie(s), but with 12 books in the series, that's not likely. A more plausible book(s) to movie would be George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice Saga.

well after butchering Asimov's works to make "I, Robot" i beleve that Hollywood owe Asimov fans something good. i think a mini series based on the Foundation storyline will do Nicely.

As for that, it was a summer flick, what do you expect. Personally, I liked the movie. But, then again, I don't read Asimov either.

Gargleblast
2007-01-10, 06:49 PM
I don't want Hollywood anywhere near my favorite books. Considering what they did to "Starship Troopers" and "I, Robot" I want them as far away as possible.

The only way I might accept a book to movie/TV show is if the author has final say on all aspects of the production. That's why there was never a Pern TV show. The producers tried to screw it up and Anne McCaffery walked away.

zeratul
2007-01-10, 06:51 PM
id like to see deltora quest turned into a movie

Turcano
2007-01-10, 07:24 PM
The only way I might accept a book to movie/TV show is if the author has final say on all aspects of the production. That's why there was never a Pern TV show. The producers tried to screw it up and Anne McCaffery walked away.

Good for her. It's nice to see that there are some writers out there who refuse to sell their artistic integrity for the standard pile o' money. I remember hearing that Tom Clancy has veto rights to his IP, but he's the only author that I know of with that kind of power.

Om
2007-01-11, 07:22 AM
As a testament to my case, there was actually a Mort movie in the works years ago
Mort as a movie would work well. AFAIK its already a popular choice for amateur theatre tropes.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-11, 11:03 AM
The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker. If you havent read anything by him, you totally need to. Thr3e blew my mind. Also that's been made into a movie, came out last friday. I havent seen it yet, but I hope it doesn't suck.

Also, am I the only one who, although having read the book, can truthfully say that I thought the movie was good? I mean, with every book-to-movie, the readers complain that the movie sucked. Example: Troy. I have read the Illiad. I have seen the movie. I liked both. I know that Troy was nothing like the Illiad but for a few plot points. I am okay with that. I am able to realize that movies cater to one audience (those with short attention spans and like lots of genre specific stuff to happen) while books cater to another audience (those with longer attention spans and are okay with stretches where no genre specific action happens). Why is it that all book readers pretty much hate the movies that come from them? Comic book readers are usually worse (which I find ironic).

CuthroatMcGee
2007-01-15, 07:09 PM

Oh, for God's sake, never let Hollywood anywhere near Foundation! They would call it 'boring' and add gunfights and nuclear explosions and turn discussions into fistfights! Foundation is perfect the way it is. Anything done to it would butcher Asimov's works even more then they already have been.

Teal Kuinshi
2007-01-20, 10:15 PM
Definitely 'Exile's Honor' by Mercedes Lackey. Though, seeing what normally happens when they try to turn books into movies, maybe that isn't such a good idea...