PDA

View Full Version : Fate PBP

Erock
2013-08-31, 04:48 PM
As anyone here tried running Fate Core in a PBP game? If so, how did it work out?

Kol Korran
2013-09-01, 12:59 PM
I've started to play in one game a few months ago (with the beta version, an alternate StarWars setting) And I'm trying to play in a Fallout based game now.

The game suffers the regular problems of pbp in general (slow pace, difficult communication, and so on) But I think that FATE is very well suited for pbp for several reasons:

1) The narrative approach of the system, vs. the simulationist one of D&D and it's similars, meshes very well with the more story/ roelplay orientation of pbp.
2) Simplifying the rules, and having combat be easy and fiarly simple and FAST to run really speeds them up. This is usually a fail point in most pbps i've known.
3) It is usually easier to communicate expectations and concepts of a character or setting to DM or players, and vice versa. Also, you usually get a better understanding of the writing and creative quality of a player, rather than being able to put up a mechnaical sheet.

All in all, I think FATE works much better than other systems in pbp. Enjoy! :smallsmile:

Erock
2013-09-01, 01:12 PM
Oddly enough, your Fate campaign journal piqued my interest in Fate Core. And that confirms my suspicions. I was tying to decide between Fate and D&D 3.5 for a PBP with friends, and I feared that D&D would slow us doen even more due to being so rules heavy.

Kol Korran
2013-09-01, 09:03 PM
oddly enough, my log is a tabletop game, inspired by a FATE pbp I'm playing! Weird, huh? :smallamused:

Erock
2013-09-01, 10:33 PM
It must be FATEception. I'm doing my first tabletop game with FATE tomorrow, and then setting up the aforementioned PBP. I can't wait, we did character creation last Thursday and I already like tabletop fFATE more then D&D.

elliott20
2013-09-03, 12:43 PM
I ran a Fate PBP a long time ago, and it was actually going great. The aspects really fed right into my players strengths and they loved it. The problem was the combat. The moment THAT happened, the game came to a screeching halt and people lost interest. If I were to do that again, I probably would just get rid of health / mental tracks all together except for very focused scenes and just run with consequences. Or maybe even just do a single roll resolution, but figure out a way to grant narrative control in the right instances.