PDA

View Full Version : Point Buy System (non-class system)~Looking for help!

Xhosant
2013-08-31, 05:53 PM
Over the last few months, I have been slowly trying to make a "module" to adapt the D&D ruleset to a specific setting.

The thing is, to depict it accurately I'd have to abolish both classes and levels, in the typical sense. Instead, the system should use experience as currency to "purchase" anything from Hit Dice and BAB to attributes and feats (with whatever class features would remain being treated as feats). Something along the lines of the Hero System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_System), only tailored towards D&D.

What I need help with, then, is this: figuring balanced costs for all the benefits a D&D character gains as they level. This includes:

Attributes, with the cost of each attribute preferably scaling up it grows
Hit Dice (consider them all d8 for simplicity's sake, or give a cost to "upgrade" one's die size)
BAB
Saves (each "purchase" being 1 point to 1 save)
Skill Ranks
An average cost for feats, plus what feat you consider "average". Each feat's cost will be tailored to its power later.
Exp. equivalent of these points (essentially, how to adapt exp. gains if these experience points are used as the "currency"). Ideally, power relative to experience would be equal between the module and regular D&D rules.

No need for spellcasting costs, since they'll be absent in their current forms. Most costs should scale as you spend more ranks in them, just as XP to level scales.

So, who's game?

For anyone interested in context, the setting I refer to is the webtoon "Tower of God". People inside the tower try to pass the tests in each of the continent-sized floors to move to the next one, with status and power rewarded upon retirement depending on height achieved. Supposedly, the far top of the tower holds anything the climber wishes for. Therefore, the sort of backstabbery and innovation that only tabletops can depict ensues.

Although there are well-defined roles for group-building in the tower (scout, meatshield, coordinator and so on), and each ability contributes towards a role at least primarily, the need for mixed (or unique) skillsets does not lend itself to a class system well.
E.g., a rather legendary figure of history was a caster typically manifesting a rain of arrows to fight, thus mixing the roles of Wave Controller (caster) and Spearman (archer), and that's a clear-cut example, comparatively. The "files" of each character bear his "rating" in each role.