PDA

View Full Version : The Bracers of Cash?

Frostfel Wizard
2013-08-31, 06:56 PM
Why are the Bracers of Dawn so expensive? I can't post the stats since they aren't SRD but they seem well known. Is this a mix-up with calculating the price, or maybe a typo?

rot42
2013-08-31, 09:15 PM
Source?

Usually items seem to get mis-priced by following the "spell level x caster level guideline" but not the "how useful is this really" guideline. Sometimes I think there is also a mixing of simulationist and gamist thinking - things like being freed from the need to eat or slowly regaining health and even limbs would be fantastically wonderful in real life but often have little effect on how you spend your time at the table.

Douglas
2013-08-31, 09:29 PM
They're from Complete Warrior.

Their price is wonky because the spell duplication price guidelines are silly and have very little relationship to how useful any given spell actually is. As far as I can figure out, they're actually cheaper than they officially should be by the guidelines, but they're still horrendously overpriced in terms of actual utility.

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-31, 09:46 PM
90% of the time, you could get the same benefit from a mundane bulls eye lantern. The spell they provide is a low grade, highly situational, damage spell: searing light.

You could get an item of daylight, by the guidelines, for less.

The only time I have heard of them being close to worth the cost is for someone who makes their living hunting light sensitive monsters.

Frostfel Wizard
2013-08-31, 10:46 PM
I'm not great with magic items, so does anyone have a recommendation for what the price should be? Is it in any of the errata?

Mithril Leaf
2013-09-01, 01:04 AM
Probably 4 or 5 thousand. I'd consider buying it then if undead were a frequent issue. Even if they were, I'd probably prefer a Shirt of Wraith Stalking for 6k (from the MIC).

rot42
2013-09-01, 12:05 PM
Huh, I can see why I would forget that item despite the awesometastic name. 3d8 is just shy of 4d6, so something in the 6-8 kilogold sounds about right. That puts them in range of a 6th or 7th level character who really wants to scrimp and save for one, and affordable for a 9th or 10th level character who is prepping for a known danger.