PDA

View Full Version : Template type "force type change"

relytdan
2013-08-31, 07:13 PM
ok so I have looked about and I am not seeing a whole lot but thought I would see what you guys know.
I need to take the FEY type and Force the ( Humanoid, or Monstrous Humanoid) type in its place - the type pyramid indicate that there may be options.. so how about guys can it be done?

TuggyNE
2013-09-01, 04:38 AM
The type pyramid is a 3.0 construction; it no longer applies as such to 3.5. Instead, you'll need to find a template that can be applied to Fey that changes type to (Monstrous) Humanoid; I suggest you change the thread title to reflect that.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-01, 11:25 AM
Feral (SS) forces a creature into Monstrous Humanoid.

Shadow (LoM) forces a creature into Magical Beast.

Half-Troll (FF) forces a creature into Giant.

There are no templates in 3.5's books that turn a creature from something else into a humanoid.

Jack_Simth
2013-09-01, 12:16 PM
Feral (SS) forces a creature into Monstrous Humanoid.

Shadow (LoM) forces a creature into Magical Beast.

Half-Troll (FF) forces a creature into Giant.

There are no templates in 3.5's books that turn a creature from something else into a humanoid.
That said, the Stoneblessed PrC (Races of Stone), as the capstone, makes you treated as a member of your bonded race for "all effects related to race". Potentially, that includes qualifying for other templates that are related to type. Note, however, that you couldn't use this for an inherited template; it would have to be an acquired template.

Vaz
2013-09-01, 03:25 PM
Type is explicitly seperate from Race, as race is non defined.

If Stoneblessed lets you count as a Humanoid because Dwarf is humanoid, then you also qualify as any other type, because of how templates make a Half Celestial Dwarf.

Race is used when specifying things such as how to utilise magic items or qualifying for PrC's, when it is actually stated race - a paragon draconic spellstitched gravetouched ghoul dwarf would qualify for a Dwarven Defender as much as a Hill Dwarf.

HunterOfJello
2013-09-01, 03:40 PM
If we have savage species involved then you can use the Shadow template to turn into a Magical beast, then use the Half-Golem template, fail your will save to become a construct, then cast Incarnate Construct to become a humanoid. (Edit: scratch that, the Half-Golem part doesn't work)

Half-Golems got updated in the 3.5 port of MM2.

Note:
Credit goes to Fax Celestis for the Shadow template suggestion.

Type is explicitly seperate from Race, as race is non defined.

If Stoneblessed lets you count as a Humanoid because Dwarf is humanoid, then you also qualify as any other type, because of how templates make a Half Celestial Dwarf.

Yes.... and then again no. Race is partially and often defined by subtypes. The two dwarf examples in your posts would both have the [Dwarf] subtype even after all of those things have happened to them. Since they still have that subtype, they still qualify for things that require you to be a dwarf.

This does get awkward though when races aren't given a specific subtype tied to their race and are later expected to have a pre-requisite of having that race to obtain something.

The Glyphstone
2013-09-01, 03:45 PM
If we have savage species involved then you can use the Shadow template to turn into a Magical beast, then use the Half-Golem template, fail your will save to become a construct, then cast Incarnate Construct to become a humanoid.

Half-Golems got updated in the 3.5 port of MM2.

Note:
Credit goes to Fax Celestis for the Shadow template suggestion.

Only if it's an NPC/DM creation. Half-Golem still has a LA -, making it unusable by PCs.

HunterOfJello
2013-09-01, 03:49 PM
Only if it's an NPC/DM creation. Half-Golem still has a LA -, making it unusable by PCs.

Ah, I couldn't find my MM2 3.5 update on hand. That's a shame. Back to the drawing board then.

~

Green Star Adept can change you into a construct. It would take quite bit more effort though.

ranagrande
2013-09-02, 11:15 AM
The Human Heritage feat from Races of Destiny changes your type to Humanoid(Human)